TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Parental Judgement - October 4th 2009, 08:40 PM

Yesterday I had my seventeenth birthday party. It was pretty bada$$, being princess-themed (tons of people wore tiaras; I had a tutu and a tiara and a wand) as well as a performance by my cousin Lexi's band, nine-30.

I decided to let my thirteen-year-old cousin Tally come to my party. Tally is Lexi's little sister (Lexi's sixteen), and she often goes to see nine-30 perform to support her older sister and the band members. I was a bit hesitant, admittedly, because Tally is only thirteen. She also doesn't know many of my friends, but she has met some and they get along well despite anywhere from two or three to seven years age difference.

Tally was going to be up my grandmother's house that Friday, and my grandmother lives down the street. I was talking to my mom about the party and how Tally will be there, and I told her that I didn't mind Tally coming for the band and cake, since I already told her that I didn't mind her going. My mother flipped out at me for inviting her to a "seventeen-year-old party," then proceeded to call my grandmother and let her know that Tally wasn't allowed to go. They arranged for Tally to be picked up by her father to spend time with him (Lexi and Tally's parents are divorced).

I was extremely shocked by my mother and grandmother's actions. I understood their concerns, but I never thought they'd have the rude audacity to uninvite her from the party! Both of my parents actually said that it didn't matter how Tally felt; the party was an inappropriate place for her to be. Not to mention that nine-30 had to tone down their language compared to how they usually play since my parents are Lexi's aunt and uncle (the lyrics don't swear... but we all know how rock bands can be ); when Tally sees them normally, they aren't afraid to drop an f-bomb. Are my qualms about my family's attitude legitimate, or am I too exposed to the "inappropriateness" of society?

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xander Offline
Average Joe

Name: xander

Re: Parental Judgement - October 4th 2009, 08:44 PM

yeah, they probs dont wanna upset her parents, parents are weird, and sucky, my dad trys to limit wat i listen 2 in music, and thats working out great for him......NOT lol, parents suck, they do shit we dont understand, maybe later you will, wen your a parent xx

XANDER

am i in love? or am i being used?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Parental Judgement - October 4th 2009, 09:34 PM

That isn't the issue. Tally's mother allows her to go see Lexi's band perform. It was MY parents that flipped out about it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: Parental Judgement - October 5th 2009, 02:03 AM

My parents are the same way. They would never let me hang out with my older friends unless someone my age was there. Do your parents know all the ppl who were coming to your party?

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Parental Judgement - October 5th 2009, 02:16 AM

No. But I didn't think it was an issue because we both know my judgement in friends; I don't associate myself with drugs and alcohol and I'm an honors/AP student. I'm just concerned with the fact that they don't think it was RUDE to uninvite her.

Closed Thread