TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Friends... how to get them? - January 23rd 2009, 09:40 PM

I just transfered schools, I had a ton of friends at my old school, but now not so much. I have some, but they're all underclassmen. Everyone already has their friends and cliques established. Any advice, besides, just be yourself? I need to be proactive about it, but I just don't know how. And I'm kinda weird at meeting new people. Not bad, just... awkward.

Drop me a PM anytime, about anything!
I would love to talk to you!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ElToroLoco Offline
Sometimes fun costs you...
Average Joe

Name: Zorro

Re: Friends... how to get them? - January 23rd 2009, 09:51 PM

good luck
last time i remember having friends was in elementary school

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Friends... how to get them? - January 23rd 2009, 10:18 PM

I know exactly how you're feeling. It's really hard for me to approach people and try to make friends. I'm not sure why. It's just always been that way. Just be yourself, talk to people, maybe even join some clubs at your school that interest you. Don't be afraid to talk to people. Joining clubs that you might enjoy would be a good idea so you can be around people who have some common interests and get to know them better. Just be yourself and remember that a lot of people don't know that you want to be friends unless you make the first move and talk to them. I'm sure that, with time, you'll have plenty of friends. Just don't be afraid to branch out. :]

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#4 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Friends... how to get them? - January 23rd 2009, 10:40 PM

Good to know I'm not the only one! It's weird because I'm super outgoing, I just have a hard time getting friendships started. I joined drama club, but they hardly ever meet. I'm thinking about auditioning for the spring musical, but the theatre there is super competitive, not to mention, singings my downfall, theatrically speaking. Wow, that was a bunny trail. I just wish I knew how to approach people!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
theferretparade Offline
Not a n00b

Name: ferretparade

Re: Friends... how to get them? - January 24th 2009, 07:46 AM

Well, maybe you could start with people you interact a lot with like, people who sit around you in class or people you kinda know that sit at your lunch area. Just try being friendly to them one morning- maybe you'll hit it off! And sometimes just changing your routine a little makes you interact with new people. At my school there's quite a bit of freedom, you can walk whichever way to classes, eat lunch anywhere really. Just going a different way or to a different place- you could meet a new best friend.

And if all else fails, find someone who looks friendly, jump on them and scream "The police are comin'! Onward, my trusty steed!" And if they're cool, they play along and- bam! New friend. ;3

Why is it that so often, my friend, those who are extremely successful in virtually everything they do are so unable to see that this is the case?

Yeah, you might not be the right person to ask.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
love2laugh Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Friends... how to get them? - January 24th 2009, 12:00 PM

i seriously love that last idea. I might try that at the next drama club meeting cuz the people there would surely play along. it would be super awkward if the didn't though.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Friends... how to get them? - January 24th 2009, 12:02 PM

Hi there!

Clubs, teams, groups, volunteering, and doing group work in class are the best ways to make some friends. People may have groups established, but that doesn't mean that one more can't join in. I'm sure many people wouldn't mind having you in their group.

All the best to you!
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread