TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordansg Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Pride - October 6th 2009, 09:14 AM

Im 19 years old and live with my family. I do not have a job, although i have turned in a few applications. Anyways its been this way for quite some time and since i dont have a job i spend most of my time playing video games or reading. I dont really have any friends were i lived because we just moved and i dont really go out much. I know i could be trying harder to get a job but i feel like even if i do with the economy the way it is the chances of me, a person with very little work experience and skills getting a job are very low. When i do feel the urge to go out job hunting usually my mom or my sister will say things like you should do this or apply here. And to me it just seems like they are saying im not trying, which is kind of true seeing as i havent really gone back to the places ive applied. But when they do this it makes me feel angry and rebellious so i decide not to do anything because i want to do things on my own. My mom just a little while ago told me until i got a job she was going to treat me like i was 15 and take my computer away. I feel very angry at her about it and i definetly do not want to get a job right now because she is forcing me into it. Things like this constantly happen with me and my parents and i want to move to a different state were i can start by myself but i cant since i dont have a job. Things just seem so much better with my family when i am visiting with them instead of living with them. Anyways any advice would be great.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Pride - October 6th 2009, 01:32 PM

Hey, I can totally relate! I'm 21 and have never had a job. I've tried, although I could try harder. I don't have a driver's license which makes it more difficult as my mom would have to take me. I've filled out several applications with no success and I've kind of given up trying. It's not because I don't want one, I do, it's just that it feels like I'll never find one and if I do the job I get would be better suited for someone who needs it as opposed to me because my parents are still completely supporting me. I also have to worry about the stress of a job added to college and I'm serious when I say that I don't think I can handle it, but no one seems to take that seriously. I've explained this to my mom several times and she literally brings home applications for me and makes me fill them out even when I know I don't have a shot at it.

Is there anyway you could go job hunting without telling them so they won't suggest things? That might help. Sorry I ranted more than helped.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Re: Pride - October 6th 2009, 07:53 PM

i didnt have time to read this all, but just remember pain is temporary pride is forever.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jordansg Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pride - October 6th 2009, 11:51 PM

Well i never really go out of my way to let them no were ive applied or whatt ive done to help my job cause. But even when they know the effort ive put in, minimal as it may be, They still try to tell me things i should do. Another thing that seems to be causing problems is i wont go to church with them anymore. I absolutely hate going to church i feel like id rather do nothing then go. I dont have a problem with my church or anything thats just the way i feel. My mom told me she is so sad because of my life choices and the wrong things im doing. When at the moment the only thing i can see im doing wrong is me sitting at home all day doing nothing.

Closed Thread