TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Bonding Activities? - October 24th 2009, 06:23 PM

Well, my mom and I had a huge fight last night and it really got me thinking that her and I could have a better relationship. Dad and I can be together for the day without fighting. When it comes to my mom and me, we're almost always at each others throats. I am okay, well, comfortable, with my relationship with my mom. However, I do think a day together might be good for us. Especially since she does work almost 24/7, a day just to kick back and have fun might allow her to cut back on some stress.

Her birthday recently passed, and I didn't get her anything because she only wanted me to take her out to fast food restaurants. Which, I won't do because it's not something I can see as allowing us to bond? I mean, it's not healthy and it will just mess up her 'healthy' diet goals. So, I refused. I know it sounds horrible, but I wanted to plan something for us to do, together, and then when she gets a day off, we'd go out and make a day of it. Of course, I'd be pay etc.

Originally, I was thinking of taking her horse back riding. I think that'd be a neat little activity for us to do, but there aren't any places close to where I live.

So, this is where my questions comes; does anyone have any (maybe more unique) ideas for my mom and I to have a good day full of fun. If not a day, maybe an hour or two. Something that might allow her to experience something new etc. Preferably, not too expensive, but I am willing to pay for something. : ) Any suggestions would be really welcomed. I need to get the process of brainstorming started. After horseback riding became something I couldn't do, I ran out of anything.

Thanks again : )

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Bonding Activities? - October 25th 2009, 12:51 AM

Hi Melissa,

I'm really glad that you are trying to fix things between you and your mom! It's really difficult to be fighting all the time, and it does sound like the result of a lot of stress. It sounds like your mom is one busy lady.

Horseback riding is a lot of fun, and it's too bad that there isn't a place close by to you. Most horseback riding places are in the middle of nowhere if you want good trail riding, so it might be hard to find. If you need any help finding a place, I could help you do a search for one (I live in Ontario as well and may be of some help).

Here are some other ideas as well:

-high ropes/tree trekking (it's like a zip line course up in the trees. I haven't been yet, but my friend has and she had a blast. I know there are quite a few places in Ontario as well, so if you do a search you'll probably come up with something close by)
-rock climbing (if you two aren't scared of heights This applies to my first suggestion as well)
-a day at the spa (this might be pricey, but it's something that I've done with my mom before and it gave us a chance to just hang out and talk, and as a bonus, it's relaxing!)
-pottery (you and your mom could go and paint a piece of pottery if there is a place close by. I know some pottery places host these kinds of things where you can either make or decorate a bowl, plate, or dish. It might be a cool thing for you to do)
-go out for lunch/dinner (go some place cool and fun. Maybe for sushi, brunch, or one of those places that cooks the food right in front of you. Do something interesting and unique)
-concert (if you can both agree on music)
-a play
-go to an improv or comedy show (this is a lot of fun- especially improv or theatre sports)

I hope you find some of these suggestions helpful. I'll do my best to think up some more. And if you need help doing a search, just let me know

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread