TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Exclamation Legal Emancipation? - November 17th 2009, 07:06 AM

I'm 13 (my b-day year says differently because i entered it in wrong )
My mom's a falling down drunk, my dad's pretty much no better (he plowed us into a barrier while he was driving drunk one night).

I can't handle living with either of them since it's just not stable. There aren't any relatives I can live with (that want me, anyways) so I was wondering--could I be emancipated at my age? And does anyone know the requirements, etc in order to have this happen?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Legal Emancipation? - November 17th 2009, 01:27 PM

Hey Cheyenne, Unfortunately 13 is too young to be emancipated because to be emancipated you have to prove to a court not only that you have good reasons, but also that you can support yourself financially and live on your own. The minimum age to get a job is older than 13 (I'm thinking about 15 ish?) and you wouldn't be able to live on your own.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Umberto Offline
Average Joe

Re: Legal Emancipation? - November 17th 2009, 06:15 PM

You probably couldnt be emancipated without some way to support yourself but you could get taken into care or a foster family for a few years untill you are old enough. Maybe you could call social services to ask for advice? I'm sure they wouldnt force you to give your name if you just wanted information.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Legal Emancipation? - November 17th 2009, 08:24 PM

To be emancipated you need to prove to the court that 1, you have a good reason for needing to be emancipated. Which sounds like you do as much as that sucks. But mostly, you need to prove you can care for yourself, meaning you get good grades, have a job, and are a responsible person. Since your 13, you probably don't have a job right? I'm pretty sure the legal age is 14 or 15, depending on area...
You could still call social services and go into foster care if you're okay with that.
Other than that you'd have to just sit it out until your a few years older, have a job, and prove yourself responsible. Until then, really try to get good grades and stay out of trouble if you want a chance of proving to the court you can handle on your own.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Legal Emancipation? - November 17th 2009, 11:27 PM

I keep up good grades (my interim report said I have G's in almost every subject which is the equivalent of an A) and I'm applying to a few different jobs. So when I meet all the criteria, what kinds of places could I live in (that are affordable)?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Legal Emancipation? - November 18th 2009, 07:45 PM

I don't know too much about what to do after emancipation, as I havn't really gotten that far BUT.... I would assume you'd rent a very small apartment, in a cheap area preferibly close to your school. I mean, when you're emancipated you're legal on your own so you really don't need to live with an adult, thus, emancipation. Or you could ask some close friends if you could stay at their house, it's a huge favor though, so it requires a big discussion and a close, long term friendship that doesn't have a lot of bad fights.
In fact, I bet you'd have a better chance in convincing the court if you've found a close friend whos parents you trust to live with. I would of course, talk to the friend first, and the parents. Tell them whats going on if you want any help at all in this. (dont know if you have boyfriend or anything, but adults tend to look down on trying to pass a relationship off as a stable home to live with, they just always think it will never last. Don't know if thats true or not, but thats what they always tell us. So I wouldn't try getting them to agree with you living with a boyfriend or whatever)

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
Closed Thread