TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Tea-monkey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My parents drive me crazy!! - December 16th 2009, 06:44 PM

Right, so my parents are...they want whats best for me. Which I appreciate, but they don't know when to shut up and I don't think they realise that I am okay and can think of things of things for myself.

I'm having a party in a couple of days, and there's been some trouble because I have a big group of mates and I couldn't invite them all, so I had to not invite some people, which has caused it's own problems, but anyway...one of my mates, I didn't want to invite at first for reasons that are no longer relevant, so then i decided to invite her. At the same time, my boyfriend asks my mum for advice then thanks her but turns it down in a way she thought was rude. They thought that I was letting everyone walk all over me because my boyfriend is 'rude' and my mate is 'manipulative.'

So...I end up being stuck for two hours while my parents tell me the same things 5 times over. I know they're trying to help, but they talk so much that I can't get a word in edgeways, and they don't like it when I interrupt. I tried telling them at least 5 times that I get it, but it's like they ignored it. I got so upset that when they finally paused, I jumped in before they could carry on, said "thanks, I get it," then left.

Mum then spoke to me on msn, saying that they don't know if the message is sinking in or not because I just sit there, I swear it's like they see a completely different thing to what I actually do. Saying it's ok to butt in before I get upset, but the last time I did that my dad told me off.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't even know if I'm asking for advice or just ranting so it's out before anyone sees me tomorrow, but I just needed to write this. Thanks for reading my ramble if you have

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: My parents drive me crazy!! - December 18th 2009, 12:56 AM

Hello =]

There's nothing wrong with rambles and rants! This is something you obviously had to get off your chest, and I am glad you had an opportunity to do that. It sounds like your parents haven't really given you a chance to speak your mind and that can be a really tough thing to deal with.

What I suggest you do is write your parents a letter. Explain that you are having a difficult time talking to them out loud because you feel like you don't get a chance once they start talking. Let them know that you respect and understand your opinion, but you want the letter to give you a chance to say how you are feeling about the situation.

Writing things out can help clear things up in your head and help form your own ideas and how to say them. Once you have what you want to say written down, it'll be easier to speak when talking with your parents. Also, it's a good way to speak your mind without being interrupted.

Give letter writing a chance and see how it goes. In the end, it is your party and you should have final say in who gets to go. Your parents may not like your friend or boyfriend, but that shouldn't change how you feel about them.

Good luck and have fun at the party!
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

Closed Thread