TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Consoling? - December 17th 2009, 02:53 AM

I don't really know how to go about consoling my Mom. My Grandma is dying and she seems to be taking it very hard (as the rest of us) but it's really scary to see your own Mom break down and sob. I never really know what to do when she's like that.

One time I didn't really do anything to comfort her and she flipped out on me. But the last time I tried to comfort her she got frustrated with me. So I never really know what to do. I'm not really into hugging and stuff when someone is crying. I'm more of a 'break the tension and get them to laugh' kind of person. But in this case it doesn't really work.

So what should I do. Is it really my place to comfort her? How do I go about it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Consoling? - December 18th 2009, 01:04 AM

Hi Mariah,

I'm very sorry for what you and your family are going through right now. It's always difficult to deal with someone close to you dying, and it sounds like it's hitting your family pretty hard.

I understand the difficulty you're having about not being sure about how to console your mom. It seems almost like you're stuck between trying to console her or not, and either way she ends up frustrated. I know it's hard, but try to understand that her frustration is not aimed at you. I know it seems that way, but it is her trying to release the emotional stress that's building up.

I know it might be sort of awkward, but the best way to console your mom might be asking her what she would like you to do. Ask if she would like a hug or would like to talk about how she's been feeling. Maybe she needs some help around the house. The best way to know is by asking. You're not a mind reader, after all, and ultimately it's up to her as your parent to let you know what the problem is.

All the best.
Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Consoling? - December 18th 2009, 02:48 AM

^ I've sort of tried that. Not in so many words though. I ask dumb questions like, "Mom what's wrong?" and "Are you okay?" and stuff like that. Even though I know what's wrong. But she usually doesn't answer right away, which is really frustrating because I'm standing there not knowing what to do and feeling like a moron.

Closed Thread