TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 28th 2009, 11:21 PM

Hello everybody. I have a friend from school. We're both in the 8th grade. We only have one class together but it's enough for us to have become close. The other day, he poked me on FB for no apparent reason. I've sent him a message a couple of times to ask what's up and he completely ignores me. It's just not like him. His posts on FB seem to be normal but I'm worried that something might be wrong and want to help in any way I can. Maybe he's just afraid to tell me something? Whatever's up he wanted to get my attention. What should I do?

Last edited by Loving Linux Penguin; December 28th 2009 at 11:42 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 12:17 AM

Hey Chris,
Maybe he wants to talk to you but doesn't feel ready enough or comfortable enough. Perhaps, he feels that you two aren't as close as you think you two are. If you feel that something is bothering him, you very well could be correct. But you may not and if this feeling of yours continues, possibly try to become closer to him so he feels comfortable. Make plans to get together and do what ever you two have in common. So then if you hang out and still have that feeling you can let him know, you are a person he can confide in and doesn't have to worry. And you could possibly be right about him wanting to get your attention. Just if you continue to message him and it is a type of pushing like ' is there something wrong' ' i know something is wrong' 'you can talk to me if there is something wrong' it could be pushing him away, so be careful about what you say.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 12:38 AM

Hi there wonderbread. I'm pretty sure that we're as close as I think. Just the other day, we were chatting about "guy stuff" so I would think he would be alright to bring something up with me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 01:37 AM

What kind of "guy stuff"? Because for a lot of people, guys especially, "guy stuff" is a lot easier and more natural to talk about than if there's something wrong like depression or something. Guy stuff is stuff that every guy goes through, where as an emotion is.. well not something that guys stereotypically talk about. A lot of girls don't openly talk about sensitive issues either, but for some reason it's a common stereotype that we do.

As for the random pokes but ignoring messages... Could it be he doesn't have time to respond to messages, or forgets to? Some people just randomly poke friends, I do it all the time.
Maybe watch his behavior in class once school starts again, see if his grades are slipping, friends slipping, seems to get mad easily, little things like that might give a clue as to if there's anything wrong.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 01:57 AM

I suppose it is possible that he's randomly poking me. I think though he has time to reply to my messages, afterall he's replied before without any trouble.

Also, I just tried to say hi to him via FB chat. Again, he simply ignored me and went offline. This just isn't usual behavior for him. I'm still worried.

Oh, and to answer your question, by "guy stuff" I mean anatomy.

Last edited by Loving Linux Penguin; December 29th 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: More info to add

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 01:04 PM

if you're worried then ask him.. just say that you've noticed he's acting a bit differently and is everything ok? if he says he's fine or he doesn't want to talk about it then don't press the issue with him, though. you don't want to push him away.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 02:43 PM

^Okay. Thanks Elle.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 02:59 PM

The behavior does seem a little off. Like Marissa said watch him in school. I do not mean this is a weird way, don't go out of your way to see him all the time. Talk to him in class when you get the chance, see if anything seems different. Watch to see if you notice grades falling, him not doing assignments, skipping class more, sleeping more.
I know it many not work out like this but if you two have the same lunch time, why don't you see if he would mind if you two ate lunch together. For more talking time.

To put all of this aside. You both are in eighth grade, both probably 13. Which means you two are young. This is when some people just go through phases of life. Im not meaning this in a bad way. Also, this is the year before high school and he could be starting to hang with people that aren't the best and this is reaction to it all.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 29th 2009, 03:10 PM

I think actually he might be 12 still, so he's a bit younger than me. Yes, he have the same lunch time and we often eat together anyway. His grades, though, is one thing that I can't get at (unless he tells me). The reason is we use PowerSchool. This is an online platform that allows our grades to be published and allow us to look them up online. To do this, we must authenticate with a personal account, and of course, as is understandable, I don't know his login/password.

Thanks for your advice.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 30th 2009, 12:21 AM

Just be there for him and keep assuring him that you are there for him and that you are his friend. And also talk to him about it, ask him if there's something wrong. If its hard to break the ice then why not organize a guy's out so that you can show him that he has a trustworthy friend.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 30th 2009, 12:39 AM

Sorry, "guy's out"?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: I'm kinda worried about my friend - December 30th 2009, 02:21 AM

All seems well. I finally managed to get his attention. Seems that you were right. He was just randomly poking me, and in the case of not responding to me when I attempt to chat, he just told me that he sometimes falls asleep at the computer and doesn't notice it.

Moderators: Please leave this thread open for members to continue to reply if they wish. Although I am satisfied with the contributions they have made, if anyone has anything constructive to add still, it is welcome!

Last edited by Loving Linux Penguin; December 30th 2009 at 04:40 AM.

Closed Thread