TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

My cousin! - January 4th 2010, 12:49 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay, so my cousin just read Ellen Hopkin's book Impulse and she got the idea to cut herself. Not even deep enough to bleed...more superficial, and not when she's upset, but more for attention. I know this, because her sister saw the scars and thought to look in her journals... They were worded in a creepily similar way to that book. But in the journals she NEVER talks about why she did it... but she does talk about showing them off. Now, I love my cousin, but I've never been close to her. I can't talk about this with her, and her sister refuses to(both me and her sister are ex cutters) She told her one friend the day after her first cut, and now all of her friends no, and probably some people that aren't her friends due to the fact she wears short sleves...no matter how cold it is. But I'm really concerned/mad. Like, she is insulting people who get addicted to cutting, but on the other hand I'm terrified something bad will happen, and she might think cutting is something people do when they're upset, and maybe she should try too, and maybe she'll start to get addicted....I didn't know where to put this... sh or friends&family...sorry.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: My cousin! - January 4th 2010, 03:28 AM

Hey Megan. I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. If I were you, I would probably talk to her mom about what is going on. She needs help before it gets out of control. I realize that SH is a difficult topic to talk about, but an adult needs to know. You and your other cousin (her sister) could write a letter to your aunt explaining your concern. Letters are helpful because you can get everything out that you want to, and it helps with difficult conversation. Good luck!

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: My cousin! - January 4th 2010, 10:34 AM

My other cousin told their mom about it, but she just told her that it was for attention and not to feed it...so really my aunt's not doing anything about it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: My cousin! - January 6th 2010, 08:59 PM

Megan. Perhaps try talking to your cousin. Because it is not wise to trifle in such a territory.
Warn her of the dangers of such.

Or if you can't talk to her father or relatives. If it is attention she wants, give it to her, not in the way of feeding a bad thing but in the manner of love and care and warn her of such things.

Because it is much more better to give attention and a caution which will last only minutes and save a life than to refuse on the attention and warnings and grieve a full life time over a life that could be saved.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Re: My cousin! - January 17th 2010, 11:06 PM

one of my close friends did this last year and I understand how frustrating it is!! try and be as supportive as you can but cutting can get pretty serious, as you know, so if at all possible try and stop her before it gets out of hand! maybe tell your aunt or parents or a trusted adult! good luck

Closed Thread