TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 10th 2010, 03:46 PM

I look at all the arguments etc girls have and i wanted to know what you think.

Do you think friendships between girls differ from friendships between guys, and in what ways?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 10th 2010, 04:07 PM

I think so... from what I've noticed girls often have much closer friendships.

I was friends with 3 girls... a long time ago we met. They were not lesbian... I doubt it, because 2 of them had boyfriends. Yet on a sailing trip the 3 of them took a shower in one cabin, for whatever reason. I don't think I could ever take a shower with 2 other guys in the same cabin. Not even if I was paid to do it.

And just in general it's something I noticed.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 10th 2010, 11:39 PM

If anything, I'd say that girls' relationships with other girls are more likely to focus on the internal, vs. the external (or the emotional vs. the physical). Boys talk about deep, profound things as well, but not as often as girls do. =P Other than that... it really depends. I mean, I'M not comfortable with the idea of showering in front of my girl friends. I'm not even comfortable with the idea of CHANGING in front of them. My boyfriend, on the other hand, doesn't hesitate to change his clothes in front of his roommates.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 11th 2010, 12:26 AM

I act the exact same way with my girl friends than my guy friends. Though, that may be because I'm not very girly. Sometimes I'll talk more about my boyfriend with my closest girl friend, but that's only because she brings it up half the time, where as my guy friends get annoyed with boyfriend talk, as to be expected. (especially since quite a few of them like me...) I don't talk about him as much to my other girl friends, so I think it's more of a one person thing.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 11th 2010, 03:55 AM

I think the main difference is that girls tend to have that one special bff while guys have just friends I've noticed that guys don't have a close friend like to go eat and have a talk, girls have a friend who they call to go have lunch and talk. About the idea of taking a shower with my friends I wouldn't do that.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Megan09 Offline
Singer, lover, writer
Average Joe

Name: Megan

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 11th 2010, 04:29 AM

I think that girls tend to have closer friendships than guys do. Girls focus more on feelings and emotions, where as guys typically don't talk about those as much. They do, don't get me wrong, but I think it's not as much of a focus for them as it is for girls. Since girls are more expressive with their feelings, they tend to bond closer than guys do.

"If music be the food of love, play on." -Shakespeare
Remember: May is skin cancer awareness month. Be smart, here are some tips to protect yourself:
Feel free to PM me, I'm here to help
TH Social Networking Team
  Send a message via AIM to Megan09  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 11th 2010, 04:35 AM

I've never really been friends with a guy before. I know that sounds really pathetic, but I seriously haven't. xD That's probably one of the reasons I always feel so awkward around guys. Practically my whole family is girls. I mean, there's obviously some guys, but you know what I mean. So anyway, I don't know a lot about the way guys act and things like that. I'm not too familiar with them. But I have enough common sense to know that guys don't sit around talking about their feelings and their lives. Since girls do, I think that relationships between girls are probably a bit closer. A friendship between a girl and a guy has to be kind of distanced, otherwise it would turn into something else. So if you're a girl I don't think it's possible to be extremely close friends with a guy in the same way you can be with another girl, at least not without difficulty. And a relationship between two guys probably isn't as close as a relationship between two girls because they talk about different things and are a bit more distanced.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#8 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 11th 2010, 07:14 PM

i think it is, girls are a lot more dramatic and sensitive, where guys are sensitive yet mature about certain situations, when girls get into fights, they make this HUGE deal out of it and wont let it go until they come out on top. where guys just throw a couple punches then they shake hands and go get a beer, and then the guys are friends again. i find it a lot easier to be friends with guys, a group of my guy friends, are very supporitve of me and always have my back, which is nice, so i think that with girls you have to be extremly careful, where with guys you dont have to be as careful.

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 11th 2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XhopeIsrealX View Post
i think it is, girls are a lot more dramatic and sensitive, where guys are sensitive yet mature about certain situations, when girls get into fights, they make this HUGE deal out of it and wont let it go until they come out on top. where guys just throw a couple punches then they shake hands and go get a beer, and then the guys are friends again. i find it a lot easier to be friends with guys, a group of my guy friends, are very supporitve of me and always have my back, which is nice, so i think that with girls you have to be extremly careful, where with guys you dont have to be as careful.
Totally true lol. There have been a lot of catfights at our school between girls over tiny things lol

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 12th 2010, 01:16 PM

I'd actually say that guys have closer friendships than girls, they just don't talk about them. Girls just get so bitchy at each other over boyfriends, schoolwork, something that someone else said. I know a lot of people probably see that as "closeness", but I don't. I think that my boyfriend's male friends are a lot more supportive of him than most of my female friends are of me. Maybe it's because girls tend to be more dramatic and always have their own problems to deal with, whereas with guys, usually only one of them will have a serious problem at a time? Plus guys don't feel the need to over-analyse everything in their relationships unlike most girls.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Smile Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 14th 2010, 07:29 PM

Yes i do think so. From what i have seen, girls have much more drama involved. That is the main difference, because guys are not so worried about what they are wearing, how something they saw will sound and such. They are a lot more carefree in a way. So i guess girls and guys are similar in friendships, one just has drama and one does not. Just my opinion.

~angel22

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 15th 2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
I'd actually say that guys have closer friendships than girls, they just don't talk about them. Girls just get so bitchy at each other over boyfriends, schoolwork, something that someone else said. I know a lot of people probably see that as "closeness", but I don't. I think that my boyfriend's male friends are a lot more supportive of him than most of my female friends are of me. Maybe it's because girls tend to be more dramatic and always have their own problems to deal with, whereas with guys, usually only one of them will have a serious problem at a time? Plus guys don't feel the need to over-analyse everything in their relationships unlike most girls.

I think this is true. Guys are more accepting of things, they talk shit of course, but they don't do it a lot and they don't do it to be mean. They do it because they care and they want to know what other friends think or whatever.

For example, my brother has a friend that is doing oxycontin, him and his friends would sit around and say 'that guy is an idiot. blah blah blah' shit talking but out of love not hate or drama.

A lot of girls talk shit out of spite. They can't help it. It is just their thing to do. THEY WANT DRAMA and all that. And it makes them feel better.

Guys have an emotional side they just feel the need to hide it and guys tend to, in my opinion, be more loyal to their true friends.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#13 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 15th 2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post
I think this is true. Guys are more accepting of things, they talk shit of course, but they don't do it a lot and they don't do it to be mean. They do it because they care and they want to know what other friends think or whatever.

For example, my brother has a friend that is doing oxycontin, him and his friends would sit around and say 'that guy is an idiot. blah blah blah' shit talking but out of love not hate or drama.

A lot of girls talk shit out of spite. They can't help it. It is just their thing to do. THEY WANT DRAMA and all that. And it makes them feel better.

Guys have an emotional side they just feel the need to hide it and guys tend to, in my opinion, be more loyal to their true friends.
Yeah. Take this for example. I was in my mates study and we were just mucking around with paper, y'know ripping it and stuff. He trips, slams into the locker and makes a crack down the side. Not hurt at all. I say "You really are as dumb as f*ck aren't you?" as a joke, and we all knew that. We're all like that lol! Now if I'd said that to a girl, that would have quite literally started a war.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 15th 2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnMe View Post

Yeah. Take this for example. I was in my mates study and we were just mucking around with paper, y'know ripping it and stuff. He trips, slams into the locker and makes a crack down the side. Not hurt at all. I say "You really are as dumb as f*ck aren't you?" as a joke, and we all knew that. We're all like that lol! Now if I'd said that to a girl, that would have quite literally started a war.
Yeah, I'd advise you to never say that to a girl. But yeah, guys are more relaxed, laid back, less bitchy, more fun and mucking around, less dramatic, more friends - like not just one or two bffls. And that's why I prefer to be friends with guys then girls.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Danzy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 26th 2010, 11:32 PM

The relationship is different.. Girls tend to be closer to their friends and u can see it.
With boys ye they have their best buds aroun but ur not sure who they favour more.. Girl reacts to stuff different than boys

ღ▫You'll never leave where you are until [you] decide where you'd rather be▫ღ
  Send a message via MSN to Danzy  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do friendships between girls differ from guys? - May 27th 2010, 09:24 PM

Boys are actually just as close, we just don't show it the same. Girls are running around saying "OMG I Love you babe!" and everything, lol, but we don't do that. We do have best friends and everything though.

Closed Thread