TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rriot132 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Meera

has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 12th 2010, 12:12 PM

it has for me. nearly 95% of the time i go on, i see all those pictures of the pretty girls and all of my friends writing and commenting on each other's walls except for mine. especially my "bff" whose only written on my wall like 4 times in the past 1 year (thats how long ive had facebook i think). i want to delete my account but i just cant. ppl will ask why. i cant make an excuse up. and i want to stay in contact with people who have left.
why do these stupid sites have to be made?

мєєяαα. ♥
εvεryτhing ι do fεεls lικε ιτs wrοng...~
http://gonerogueforever.tumblr.com/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 12th 2010, 12:25 PM

Ah, I know how you feel ¨____¨ It's worse having a perfect cousin who everybody loves who's a model It wasn't so bad when I used to see her once every few weeks but now I see her page/new photos nearly everyday -______- blah.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 12th 2010, 10:51 PM

I barely use mine. so... HA!

I don't have to put up with any of that lol.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 12th 2010, 10:54 PM

Facebook used to tick me off for the same reasons. =/ Here's what I suggest: hide updates from friends you don't talk to on a regular basis. =P That way, the only updates you'll see are from the people that you're likely to have a conversation with anyway. Then, spend a few minutes every day commenting on wall posts, photos, etc. The more you give, the more you're likely to receive in return. =D If you're ever curious about your friends with hidden updates, you can visit their profiles... but this way, you won't be constantly reminded about how much more attention they receive.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
amomynous Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 13th 2010, 01:25 PM

I know how you feel. I didn't delete my account (don't want to waste all those hours I spent on farmville :P) however, I haven't used it since last year. Everybody got along with everybody but me

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 14th 2010, 05:12 AM

I don't have an account on facebook although I have seen people's pages/walls on it and if you don't write to someone else, then chances are you won't get them to write back to you. I had myspace and I deleted it a while ago for reasons not like yours but when people asked why I did, I just explained I felt it to be completely boring and for a few of my friends on it, annoying. You can keep in contact with your friends without facebook but if you don't want to delete it, then people are going to write to you only if you do the same.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 14th 2010, 05:30 AM

Ugh. I totally know that feeling. I tend to look at the profiles of people I used to be friends with and get all upset because I miss old times and things like that. I try my best not to even get on it. Only when I see I have a notification will I really get on. Keep your head up.

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 14th 2010, 06:51 AM

Facebook used to depress me before a lot of my friends joined. Sometimes it still does. If you find that it depresses you more than you enjoy it, then you shouldn't hesitate to delete your account, there's really no need to keep it if you don't enjoy it.

If you do want to keep it though, then I just suggest getting involved. Comment on your friends statuses, don't wait for them to comment on yours.
Post here and there whenever you can. It helps.

Before I did this I hated Facebook, but I started to talk to my friends more often, and now we're a lot closer.
I facebook stalk one of my friends. So that's definitely something to think about.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 14th 2010, 06:52 AM

I know how you feel, I did delete my account and only recently got it back but idk whether I regret that or not.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 14th 2010, 10:42 AM

You wouldn't believe the number of times Facebook has triggered/depressed me. I really should just delete my account, but, like you, I just can't.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Smile Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 14th 2010, 08:25 PM

Haha yeah i totaly understand where your coming from. I have a "perfect cousin" My crush is taking interest in her! It drives me insane when he ignores my posts but goes, "Oh cute pic." Whenever she posts something. I know what your talking about. I'm Sorry....

I would suggest posting something out there that is random, yet still interesting and see what anyone says. See if someone posts. People on FB love stuff like that.

~angel22

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#12 (permalink)) Old
heavenlyblissx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 15th 2010, 04:25 PM

Hii, i'm having the EXACT same problem rite now! Every time i go on facebook i see my ex-best friend and another girl taking photos with each other acting like they are bffs Guess what i did? I deleted both of them and took them off my friends contacts. I only kept the people who can make me happy e.g. my family etc. So why not try deleting ur friends too? If they ask why simply say ur facebook spazzed up and u haven't got time to add everybody back If they try to add you just ignore their request if you want. I "filtered" all my facebook friends so I only kept the people who really care about what i put up etc. My friend number went from 200 down to 60

If facebook isn't a friendly place for you to be in, MAKE it friendly

I hope this helps!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Sin Offline
*pixie in training*
Not a n00b

Name: Sinead

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 15th 2010, 08:06 PM

Facebook is the worst invention ever!! Seeing all the stupid people u went to school with getting on with there lives and having such a wonderful time in all there pics is depressing.
Its like a drug for me though, i go on everyday even though i havnt wote on anyones page in like a month.

But so many people are looking to me
to be strong and to fight

but i'm just surviving
and I may be weak but I'm never defeated

and I'll keep believing
in clouds with that sweet silver lining

(#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 18th 2010, 01:28 AM

I agree with you. Facebook is extremely triggering for me, for multiple reasons. I've been seriously considering just deleting my account lately. It's not good for me.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 18th 2010, 01:52 AM

Hurr.

Sometimes Facebook causes more problems for me than not, like if I see a comment on someone's page that I dislike for whatever reason. I tend to Facebook stalk a lot of my friends, as well, and get jealous when I see people posting on their walls and them posting back; it's worse when I've gone out of my way to post on their walls and they don't even comment, hehe. However, I've learned to either get over it or catch them on Facebook chat. Sometimes I'll even text them and make a joke about them not responding to my wall post and then strike up a conversation that way.

My friend count, like someone else on this thread mentioned, went down from nearly 200 to around 80, and even then, I only keep in close contact with a few of them. Most of them, it's not even through Facebook. It's through chat when I catch them online or through text or phone calls the rest of the time. I get that Facebook is a "social networking" site but I usually use it to either vent or post stupid little status updates. I have one friend who responds, mainly because I normally write them about her.

So I would try not getting too down about it. If you want to try and up the number of responses, comments, etc., try commenting on other people's pages or writing on their walls. Sometimes all it takes is taking the initiative! Sometimes it's even that way in real life, yanno? I can certainly say I've done more initiating of conversations and group discussions in my classes at uni than people have with me, but I've learned neither to mind it nor take it personally. If Facebook really is disrupting your life and happiness, then delete it, and if people ask why, simply say you didn't see the point of having an account when you didn't use it that much. That way, it's not making up an excuse, but it's not giving up vulnerable and personal details about the reasons you really did delete it.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
VoodooGirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 18th 2010, 05:05 AM

Oh my god, reasons why I love teen help---you realize you're not alone. I hate and love but mostly hate facebook, it depresses me too, I get how you feel. I agree with what someone else said, hide people from your news feed that make you unhappy. My "best friends' who are more best friends with each other than ever with me, all they have is pictures of them and conversations and blah blah blah, i hid it, it helped quite a bit. Maybe try taking a break from it without deleting it? Easier said than done, but if you actually manage to break from it for awhile and if yo find your much happier without it, delete it, who cares about people asking? Tell them the truth, no need to go into detail, life is better without facebook, if they want a more thourough explanation just tell them that there's no way to explain life without facebook, they just have to try it themselves :P

Take A Sad Song and Make It Better (8)

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 18th 2010, 01:46 PM

Yes, it has and it still does (when I go on there). Weirdly enough, it makes me feel like the outsider, even among my own friends. Sometimes they seem so comfortable commenting each other and raving on and on. It makes me hate myself for not being so social/forward. That is why I keep off it now unless I absolutely have to log on (to look at photos or something). Otherwise, I don't really see the point in going on there personally.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Danzy Offline
Not a n00b

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 27th 2010, 12:45 AM

umm I practicalli live on facebook but try hiding recent posts and stuff like that. Facebook helps to soicalize with others other than people who u kno. But be very careful because not everyone are who they say they are.. As for ur friends u can sometimes post on their wall where he/she will respond

ღ▫You'll never leave where you are until [you] decide where you'd rather be▫ღ
  Send a message via MSN to Danzy  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 27th 2010, 01:04 AM

In answer to the orinigal question, Has Facebook ever made you depressed.............put is shortly..............hell yeah, all the time, I never go on it coz I get depressed!

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - May 28th 2010, 05:45 AM

Facebook only depresses me when I see updates that temporarily upsets me, for example seeing that the girl I like is in a relationship with someone else.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 5th 2010, 12:56 AM

i get where you're coming from!
personally, i have quite a good social life myself but sometimes i have spells where i feel like im distancing from my friends. like recently i saw how one of my best friends had posted on everyone else in our friendship circle but mine which made me feel a bit crap. and then when it comes up on the news feed other peoples friendship groups who just seem like such fun going to fun places, etc does make me a bit sad even if i might be going somewhere just a good, i still feel like i'm missing out... strange really.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Shaytun Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dariush

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 5th 2010, 02:20 AM

Haha absolutely that's exactly how it is for me. I got three happy birthdays, and when it's someone elses I see nearly 20 happy b-day wall posts on other peoples'.

Don't let it get to you. Facebook doesn't matter

(#23 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 5th 2010, 02:36 AM

Ugh, I know what you mean. And I get jealous really easily. Like, if one of my friends comments on my other friend's status but not mine, I automatically feel like they're ignoring me even though I know they're not.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 6th 2010, 11:13 PM

Not really... although it does slightly get me down how nobody ever talks to me, or post on my wall, or tag me in a photo or anything. Still, I got about 40 happy birthday wall posts lol!

(#25 (permalink)) Old
PianoGirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sandra

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 8th 2010, 01:01 AM

I've always found that if you make it a point not to compare yourself to others and concentrate on what makes you awesome, you'll feel better. Sometimes you really have a to draw boundaries for yourself (force yourself not to look at other photos).

It's natural to feel insecure about SOMEthing about yourself, but it really helps to concentrate on the positive things so that you're not bumming yourself out. It's often not a bad idea to take a break from Facebook if it's just not doing what you want it to do. If it's more of a negative influence, then there really isn't any reason to use it. You shouldn't do anything that doesn't make you feel good.

Good luck
  Send a message via AIM to PianoGirl  
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 8th 2010, 01:37 AM

Depends. Sometimes. Usually not though.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Sniper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 8th 2010, 02:32 AM

Don't have a facebook

The Chatroom Virgin

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Rawr?
Not a n00b

Name: Molly
Location: In the mooshiest, gooshiest, bloodiest part of your heart <3

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 8th 2010, 03:18 AM

Sorry if I'm repeating anything, I didn't feel like reading through all the comments

Facebook totally makes me depressed because of all those reasons, but especially the apps like Honesty Box, or those ones where you anonymously answer questions and judge people. Those things always make me cry. It also hurts when I see how everyone has like, 500+ friends and I have less than half of that. Or when you see your crush is in a relationship, and they're posting statuses about how it's their one week anniversary or whatever and they're posting on each other's walls/pictures/statuses etc. about how much they love each other.Unless you have 500+ friends, everyone thinks you're beautiful and awesome and won't post mean things about you on Honesty Box or whatever, and you are in a relationship, facebook is hell.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 8th 2010, 04:16 AM

WOW I'm not alone. I thaught this was just me and that I was a loser lol. My former best friends are constantly posting pictures and things together and it really hurts. I miss them but they won't talk to me anymore. I finally had to delete them, it was making me cry too often and just having too much of an effect on me. It's okay if you actually talk to people, but it kinda sucks if you are shy and you don't say much, or if you feel like you are being ignored on facebook. ugh... I totally agree. Facebook sucks way more than myspace I think. I still like myspace.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 8th 2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkinnocenteyes View Post
Facebook sucks way more than myspace I think. I still like myspace.
Ahhh, good old days of Myspace... :P
Havent logged into mine in like a year.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
ninjaaa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: mel

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 8th 2010, 12:57 PM

ahhh. i love realising that i'm not alone.

it's just... there's so many people on facebook. 200 friends on the left and 500 on the right, people who you don't even know requesting to be your friend, a million posts on your news feed. i'm sure for some people, facebook is the perfect tool for socializing... that's what it's meant for anyway. they go out a lot and they take pretty pictures and they post them and 30 people comment on them within the hour. their notifications snowball when they're offline, and they've got a gazillion wall posts to reply to. it's their facebook image and every day is spent on maintenance of that image.

and then there are other people who just don't feel like they click with anyone. people who are afraid of chatting on facebook because they know that chatting for a while inevitably leads to an awkward silence... on their part, because the other person is talking to someone else on chat too. they feel like they just don't belong there, trying to make conversation with people who wouldn't ever talk to them in real life. and all the while, the other 700 friends are talking and chatting and being in 'the in'. everything's moving so fast pace, those that try to butt in just can't keep up, and they become the social outcasts.

the worse part is that people think you're antisocial if you don't use facebook, or if you have one and don't use it regularly.

or are those just my 'friends'?

i dunno. i wanna keep in touch with them, and i know we probably only 'meet' each other on facebook, but yet i don't feel any closer to them.

delete? don't delete?

sigh.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: has facebook ever made you depressed? - June 10th 2010, 03:38 AM

Sometimes, because I see my guy friend who I used to like who has a gf now and they sound all couple on facebook and it makes me feel sad. Plus people don't really post on my wall, so I have to post for them and it makes me feel like people don't really enjoy me around and notice me until I talk to them even though I'm the nice person on Facebook of my friends. Those are mostly the things that make me feel depressed, but I talk to my friend on Facebook, so it's okay. Screw myspace, facebook is better to me. But, I'm glad I'm not on the internet anymore really because I go to the gym now and socialize more, also I'm not as isolated as I was a month ago, so I guess things are getting better. Wow, I'm just talking randomly?

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Last edited by Fanatic; June 10th 2010 at 03:43 AM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
Closed Thread