TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

No give and take with my mum - February 10th 2009, 09:29 PM

My mum and me don't really get on too well but my dad and me usually get on better.
Everything my mum says my dad goes along with even if he's said otherwise.

Tonight I asked about a couple of things I wanted to do over the weekend my dad had agreed last week I could go to the pub at the weekend with some friends. As soon as my mum says no he sides with her and as always she wins the argument.
I know it's a pathetic argument to have but it's not just over that it's over me having practically next to no freedom. I just hate being here in this house not because there are rules but because the rules she makes are ridiculous and I really cannot hack it anymore. I just can't stay here I don't think. Half-term is coming up and I just need to escape. I don't know where but I do otherwise I am going to end up killing myself which feels like my only option now. I may aswell be 5 years old. I don't get much of a choice in anything I do and I'm sick of it.

Me and my mum almost had a fight. She scared me tonight and I just want to get away from her. She really hurt me although she didn't actually hit me. There are still finger marks round my neck where she had her hands round my throat.
I just don't know where to go and what to do because I can't live like this anymore. I can't be around people that make me feel inadequate and pathetic any more.
I hate being miserable and it's only getting worse being around her.
I can't stand it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
almostinvisible Offline
Dreaming
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Erica

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 10th 2009, 09:40 PM

Hey Paige,
I'm really sorry that happened to you. I'd recommend talking to your dad in private. It kind of sounds like he has trouble disagreeing with your mom even if he said otherwise before. Just tell him how you feel and figure out where he stands. If you want to maybe you can sit down with both your mom and dad to discuss this also. She might have a reason for not giving you much freedom, or not even realize she's doing it. I hope this helped! Good luck.

You're everything I know that makes me believe
I'm not alone
You're in everyone I see
So tell me
Do you see me?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 11th 2009, 07:04 AM

hey paige.

i know its really constricting of her to do that but she does that probably because she cares. but she's just showing it in the wrong way. she needs to know that fact because if this goes on, its not going to be good for either you or her .

i think you have to talk to her about the way you feel about the way she's practically jailing you.. it definitely wasnt her intentions to make you feel this way. you'll need to have a heart-to-heart talk to her and tell you that you're already old enough to be responsible for your own actions

besides that, i know that sometimes you need people besides your friends to listen.. we're here too (and yesh we're your friends too ) so no matter what, keep in mind that we're always going to be there to listen to you and help you, no matter what.

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

we come, we help, we stick and never leave. pm me anytimeee!

Official member of the completely Unofficial free hugs Club !

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 11th 2009, 08:13 PM

That's another thing about my mum she doesn't listen to reason.
She's impossible to speak to.
She never gives me a chance because any conversation ends up in confrontation of some form.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 12th 2009, 03:36 AM

which means that you've got to try to turn the conversation into something like a conversation... trust me you can do it.

moms are supposed to listen to their children! hence i believe you can definitely make her have a heart-to-heart chat with you.

Those who have went through more pain than everyone else, and want to protect anyone and everyone they know and care for from that pain, are stronger than everyone.

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 12th 2009, 07:48 PM

Lol. My mum is not the kind you can have a heart to heart with and right now we're barely on speaking terms. She doesn't care about the way I feel or what I think.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 13th 2009, 03:31 AM

then if its like that.. just remember you're responsible enough to do whatever you want... and you CAN do what you want. just dont let her stop you

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 13th 2009, 10:29 PM

Haha well if I try to do what I want I'll get thrown out and to be very frank I don't have many options of places to go, if any. My mum would sooner throw me out than 'let me win'. My parents have threatened this many a times and they are extremely serious.
So with her it's very much so it's her way or the high way.
I'm 17... she sees that as being old enough to take responsibilty for important things like money but then things like controlling your own social life is a no no. I already know the times, days I can go out.
If she's home from work and I'm at school and I ring up planning to go out with friends she'll normally be really out of order about it and say right you have 15 minutes to get your arse in this door. Or okay spend half an hour with your friends then come home, that way you've been out with them. Rarely have I ever had 'that's fine, what time should I expect you back'. She unreasonable. She runs everything like a military operation.
She's out tonight. I guarentee whatever time she comes home tonight/tomorrow morning she will be up by 8 and have me and myself out of bed by 9 and tidying this that and the other.
It's the fact that I deserve a lay in after working flat out all 5 week days.
Saturday and Sundays are the only day I'm not obligated to be up by 7 o clock for.
It's pathetic some of the things she makes 'rules' out of.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 14th 2009, 12:14 AM

The same thing happened with my dad and stepmom. Then I told him to grow a pair. First he was like lol but then he serioused the fuck up. Things are good now in the Bernie's-Surname household.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 14th 2009, 07:04 AM

maybe she had some rough childhood experience or something. no matter what happens, i still believe that she still has the potential to be a "looser " person that has more fun inside. i know it sounds dramatic..but even she has to cut loose once in a while.

it might work so give it a shot. i believe that deep down inside she has the potential to cut loose

I'm firing mah Hugs!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 16th 2009, 10:50 PM

Haha she's rarely fun.
Her idea of fun and mine are two completely different things.
We have nothing in common apart from agreeing that Will Smith is sexy.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Darrenboy! Offline
my long tongue is long.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: No give and take with my mum - February 19th 2009, 05:31 PM

then maybe you could bring will smith into gossip topics more often

still, i think that you have to explain to her how everything changes from time to time... the very definition of fun itself changes and i understand that

i understand that you people arent really on speaking terms.. but in some cases, there has to be one person who has to like make the first move to talk the the other.. then only you people might start getting closer and she'll start understanding you better

i know it might seem like crazy advice, but it might just work

I'm firing mah Hugs!

Closed Thread