TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Silverxy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tori

Is this how friendships are supposed to work? - May 28th 2010, 03:53 AM

So I have these couple of very good friends, and we tend to hang out in smaller groups. Well, two of these friends have known each other for a long time and when they hang out, they tend to just sort of let the conversation....flounder, because they know each other so well they honestly don't really need conversation. I get this, I really do. But its very weird for me when I'm with them, because I feel odd sans conversation, like its awkward for me but not them. I can never seem to let go as easily with them as I can my other friends, and its a lot more difficult to have fun with them, but they help me through tough times and when we have fun we REALLY have fun. So now I'm very confused. Is this how friendships are supposed to work?
Thanks =)
-Silverxy

Live~Laugh~Love
It's worth it

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Is this how friendships are supposed to work? - May 28th 2010, 05:29 AM

Some people just don't feel the need to talk all the time. =P With some of my friends, I LOVE to discuss things I've heard in the news, read on the internet, etc. With other friends, I like to watch movies, play board games, or just have a drink. We don't really talk... we just do things together and enjoy one another's company.

That's just one-on-one. Once you have a group of friends, the dynamics can be a little "off" for some people. They may feel the need to talk all the time, because they don't like the awkward silences... or they may be intimidated by the constant chatter, and want to go somewhere quiet.

Talk to your friends about this. If it's really too awkward for you, why not find something to do during the dull moments, like read a book? Then, once they're ready to talk again, you can put the book down and join in. =) Oftentimes, I'll grab my laptop and sit in the same room as my friends, until they're ready to do something I'm interested in... but I don't force my presence on them, and vice versa. When we're ready, we come together as a group, with the same goal in mind, and have a blast! =D

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Shaytun Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dariush

Re: Is this how friendships are supposed to work? - June 5th 2010, 04:26 AM

Stop worrying about whether it's awkward or not.
To be friends with someone you should feel relaxed around them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Casey

Re: Is this how friendships are supposed to work? - June 6th 2010, 12:40 AM

Everbody is differn't & so is friendship, so no worries bud.
If you feel that it is really bothering you, just bring it up with them, like if they woudn't mind talking when your their :-).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Is this how friendships are supposed to work? - June 6th 2010, 01:34 AM

Well, yeah, you are meant to feel comfortable around your friends, in silence or not. Obviously if they're newer friends maybe you're not at that point yet.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

Closed Thread