TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Angry It's nice to know that they have confidence in me. - July 22nd 2010, 09:34 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I want to fucking move away from home so badly! I hate the way my parents and brother treats me! Like for example today, my brother, whose turning 20 in September, had a go at me because I was listening to a song on Youtube and apparently it takes up the data for the internet. He said that I won't get into uni because I'm to dumb and that my brain is too small. I was fucking hurt by that. My parents don't have much confidence in me about doing Journalism because they think it's not a proper job.
I just want to show everyone just how much their hurting me at the moment. Maybe if I leave them forever then maybe they'll realise just how much I'm hurting.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful_mind Offline
counsellor @ positive mind
Average Joe

Name: chantel

Re: It's nice to know that they have confidence in me. - July 22nd 2010, 09:50 AM

I know it can be hard when your family doesnt think very highly of you. I have never gotten along with my mum or step dad. i never felt love from them so i would try and get it from everywhere else. i know its tempting to cut them off and never see them again...when i moved out our relationship got a little better. maybe things would beter if you did live somewhere else. i am not saying go rush out and move because thats a big step to take but maybe when the time comes for you to move out of home your relationship will get better.

if journalsim is what you want to do then do it... prove them wrong show them how smart you really are and how commited you are to it.
also if it is just to much living their maybe ask a family member if you can stay with them for a while. That's what i did for a few months and it made me miss my mum and want to work on things with her.

If you need to chat feel free to pm me any time.

good luck
  Send a message via MSN to Beautiful_mind Send a message via Yahoo to Beautiful_mind  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: It's nice to know that they have confidence in me. - July 22nd 2010, 06:34 PM

I can relate to part of your story: parents not approving of my career choice. My dad knew I would do well in college... so he insisted I pick a difficult major, like biochemistry. =P But I don't want to become a biochemist. xD My dad has SLOWLY begun to accept my major and career choice, since I've been at it for three years and I'm doing well.

Moving out, first from my mom's and then from my dad's house, really did help our relationship. I needed to show them that I could balance my check books, keep track of the bills, get groceries when needed, do well in classes, make friends, etc. all while living away from my parents.

Good luck. <3 Journalism is a tough field to be successful in... but if you put all of your heart into it, I know you'll be able to make it. =D

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: It's nice to know that they have confidence in me. - July 24th 2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianna12 View Post
I want to fucking move away from home so badly! I hate the way my parents and brother treats me! Like for example today, my brother, whose turning 20 in September, had a go at me because I was listening to a song on Youtube and apparently it takes up the data for the internet. He said that I won't get into uni because I'm to dumb and that my brain is too small. I was fucking hurt by that. My parents don't have much confidence in me about doing Journalism because they think it's not a proper job.
I just want to show everyone just how much their hurting me at the moment. Maybe if I leave them forever then maybe they'll realise just how much I'm hurting.
When people do such things,the best response you can give is by taking that negative energy and turning it into positive energy to push you to doing good for your own sake. Just be humble and do your best to be accepted. Not so that you can prove your brother wrong but for you, for your own self.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

Closed Thread