TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Umberto Offline
Average Joe

working for my brother - July 26th 2010, 12:44 AM

I've been doing some work at my brother's office for the past month and i'm so pissed off at him. I just sent an invoice for my hours and he queried them saying by his count at 8 hours a day i hadn't done that many. I have - I have been doing at least 9 hours each day with the promise of pay per hour. He said on the first day that he was paying me per hour because he didn't trust me to pay per week. He also said that since i was late one day thats an hours pay lost. I should explain, this is a very small informal office where people come in any time of morning, one guy is never in before 11 and in fact my brother often doesn't come in till 10! the day i was late i stayed late to make up, being payed per hour and the work itself not depending on office hours. 9 to 5 was never demanded and i am the first in the office most days at 9am. He finished off the email by saying he was paying for hours including my lunch hours which he was not obligated to do.

Here is why im so angry. First, i am being paid very little - minimum wage and as my brother himself mentioned before i worked for him his company has more money then they know what to do with. The disputed money is insignificant to him, about 60, but its huge to me. related to that is since i have been living away from home to do this job for which i have not been yet paid, it has cost me an awful lot. In fact, im so broke at the moment that i haven't been able to buy lunch and so haven't even been taking these lunch hours that i'm apparently being begrudgingly paid! Most of all it was the tone of the email, it was so cold and petty and rude. I wouldn't expect it from a boss id never met and it comes from my brother who i see every day and spent part of the weekend with?

I never asked for this job, he asked me. I needed the money of course but mostly it is a favour. He actually put out ads for this job and nobody would take it. He is so nice and accommidating to everyone at the office but when it comes to me he is a total prick! I just feel like telling him where he can shove this job and going home. I don't know if im asking for advice or just ranting but since its my brother i cant think who to say it to in real life.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: working for my brother - July 27th 2010, 04:24 AM

Hey there! I feel like family members tend to take one another for granted sometimes. Your brother may be polite to his employees and co-workers, because he knows he needs to maintain a sense of professionalism around them... but when it comes to you, he doesn't feel that same need.

I would politely (but firmly) remind him that HE asked YOU to work for him. Apologize again for being late, but tell him that you stayed later to make up for that hour. Also explain to him (I'm sure he knows, but go into further detail) that your financial situation is rocky at the moment, and you really want to work this out ASAP. You won't be calling him a liar or thief outright, but you'll be putting him in a very uncomfortable situation, should he refuse to sit down and talk with you about this. Note I said "sit down and talk"... so do this in person, in the privacy of an office, behind closed doors.

Good luck, and I hope things work out soon! <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jacksonian Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jackson

Re: working for my brother - July 30th 2010, 12:34 AM

Try talking to him. Telling him its beginning to take a ton of weight on you and he needs to act correctly.

I came here to help out, so if you wanna talk or just need someone to bounce ideas or issues off of or something else then send me a message and I will reply as soon as I can.

Closed Thread