TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Astrael Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Unhappy My dad.... - August 12th 2010, 08:52 PM

Well I'm new to this site so I'm not really sure if I'm doing the thread right but I'm giving it a shot.

Well my mom and dad divorced about 4 years ago and stuff has been pretty good. Recently I found out that my dad hasn't been paying child support for a really long time and owes a LOT of money, about $40,000 or so. My mom is on disability so she doesn't make too much money and me, my mom and my younger brother are suffering because of it. My dad claims that he doesn't have money to pay my mom but I know for a fact that that he works under the table and that his new girlfriend pays for a lot of stuff like bills and rent and stuff. What should I do because I want to help but I don't know how! I'm only 17 and going to my final year of high school so it's not like I can get a really good job to help pay.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Paige <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Paige

Re: My dad.... - August 13th 2010, 12:11 AM

There really isnt much you can do hun, just be supportive and do your best. Try talking to your dad about it. If youd like you can get a job, a little money is better than none. Hang in there!

Jerimiah 29:11
''For I know the thoughts I have towards you, says the Lord. Thoughts of good and not evil. To give you an expected end.''
  Send a message via AIM to broken-but-beautiful  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My dad.... - August 13th 2010, 03:11 AM

You could try going to the police and ask that they examine your father's activity and financial records. They may be able to find a connection to the money that's "under the table". A private investigator would probably cost too much, unfortunately. =/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
katherinexrenee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katherine

Re: My dad.... - August 22nd 2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheddy View Post
Well I'm new to this site so I'm not really sure if I'm doing the thread right but I'm giving it a shot.

Well my mom and dad divorced about 4 years ago and stuff has been pretty good. Recently I found out that my dad hasn't been paying child support for a really long time and owes a LOT of money, about $40,000 or so. My mom is on disability so she doesn't make too much money and me, my mom and my younger brother are suffering because of it. My dad claims that he doesn't have money to pay my mom but I know for a fact that that he works under the table and that his new girlfriend pays for a lot of stuff like bills and rent and stuff. What should I do because I want to help but I don't know how! I'm only 17 and going to my final year of high school so it's not like I can get a really good job to help pay.
i know how you feel; my dad owes my 2 sisters and i about $70,000.
all i can really say is if you want him to pay, then he needs to be able to do it on his own, like an adult should. even if he's got a small job, it helps.

but if you just want him to stay out of trouble,
then there's a certain paper you and your mom can sign for i think $60 to basically end the child support.
he would still have to pay for it,
but he won't be put into court and the amount won't go up.

good luck with your dad

hello there

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Astrael Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Re: My dad.... - August 24th 2010, 05:25 PM

Wow I never thought about it but I guess there would be a form to sign. Silly me, I didn't even think about it. I'll bring that up to my mom the next time I possibly can because it might help.

Thank you!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
RedJames Offline
Average Joe

Name: James

Re: My dad.... - August 26th 2010, 05:21 PM

I had a simular situation growing up with my mom and dad and my dad not doing anything after they got divorced and my mom on welfare. Well you could try and get a part time job to help up at least for the things you need, so your mom can save abit of money there (ie, new clothes, shoes, going out cell phone bill, etc) PLus if you have alittle extra its not like you can't help out somewhere else like with a bill or something.
But also, your dad should be man enough to take care of his business, he had kids, regardless of weather he and your mom are together or not, he does his have a responciblity to help take care of you guys by sending money. You could call him, ask him to go for coffee or lunch with you (dont want to do it over phone, to easy to hang up when mad, to easy to say things that don't need to be said, to easy for him to lie) if he agrees then talk to him about it, he's you dad right, so ask him what the hell? And why he is doing it and will he man up and help his kids out again. It might kick start his pride and honor again and hopefully it will change.
If not your mom can always go to the courts and they can track him down and force him to pay.

Closed Thread