TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount5

Edit avatar

Question ADVICE PRONTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - October 12th 2010, 02:56 AM

oK, SO heres the thing, my parents have moved me around quite a bit. I am currently at my fourth highschool. They are now moving me again... I love it where i am at though.. My life seems to be falling into place and I've been a lot happier. One of my friends said I should try to get emancipated. ALSO if I do move I risk loosing two credits which I would either have to do summer school, or be a 5th year senior... both of which look bad on Transcrips and I plan on attending college. So this would spoil any chances of getting into a decent college.

So he said I should try to get emancipated... BUT i dont have a job or my own place... so IDK (IF i get a job it wouldnt be hard to find a place...)

Im just wondering if it would be better to get emancipated or risk my future by going with them...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Alistare Offline
Hug Department- Always open
Not a n00b

Name: Tim

Re: ADVICE PRONTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - October 12th 2010, 03:24 AM

Hi Rachel,

I'm sorry to hear you're in such a difficult situation. Losing the two credits and having to make them up doesn't necessarily doom you to not getting into any good schools, Its still possible. Personally I would stay with my parent's because receiving emancipation is more difficult then it sounds. If your parents don't agree that you can live on your own, you'll need to take them to court to prove you have good reason to seek emancipation. Then it's up to a judge whether your reasoning is sound. So the real question is, if you feel you're ready to be on your own. When your parent's are in another state it will be difficult for them to give you support. In the end it's up to you and what you feel is the right thing to do. Just remember that no matter what path you take, there are always multiple options for college.

The world is all gates, all opportunities, strings of tension waiting to be struck.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Need help? Just want to chat? Feel free to PM me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rtn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: ADVICE PRONTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - October 12th 2010, 03:25 AM

Hey there Rachel.

I sorry to hear about the situation that your in, its a really tricky one.

I would suggest that you talk to your parents about the issue of them moving again and its impact on your education. Why exactly are they moving so often? Also, if you could, try and organise a place to stay and start looking for jobs so that your parents will see that your taking responsibility.

However I would caution you to weigh up the benefits and disadvantages of staying or going. Here are some that I can think of.

Pros:
- Independence
- Perhaps a better education
- Maybe a better college

Cons
- Lack of financial support from parents
- Work may stress your learning
- Work may stress your relationships
- May harden you too quickly so that people cant connect with you anymore.
- Finding it 'too hard' giving up and being in a worse condition than if you had left.

My opinion would be to move with your parents but strongly express your concerns for you future perhaps they will give up moving so often and stay in the one place.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount5

Edit avatar

October 12th 2010, 03:56 AM

my parents said If I ever leave, Im never allowed back

and they will never financially or emotionally support me

Last edited by PSY; October 12th 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Rtn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: ADVICE PRONTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - October 12th 2010, 04:03 AM

So why are they leaving?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount5

Edit avatar

Re: ADVICE PRONTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - October 12th 2010, 04:13 AM

my dad has a job somewhere else... and he does that alot

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: ADVICE PRONTO PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - October 12th 2010, 08:31 PM

University applications have sections for "personal statements", so why not simply explain why you had to go to summer school/attend for a fifth year of high school? Show the universities that you were faced with a difficult situation (moving five times in four years), and you managed to stay strong and still succeed academically. Believe me when I say that the universities will not think poorly of you, if you turn that negative aspect into a positive one. =)

Emancipation doesn't seem to be worth it, because of how difficult it is to obtain emancipation and because of how your parents will react. My advice is to stick with them, and keep focusing on academics despite the difficult circumstances you are facing.

Closed Thread