TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Question Dislike My Voice - October 18th 2010, 02:09 AM

After I talk a lot I feel bad. I dislike my voice and I feel like others can here my insecurities when I talk.

Everyone says I sound fine, but Is it me just being introverted?

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Dislike My Voice - October 19th 2010, 09:06 AM

I'm a bit confused. Do you not like how your voice sounds (ex. too high/low/raspy), or do you not like how you communicate with others vocally? There isn't much you can do about how your voice sounds... but if you feel like your insecurities are being picked up upon when you talk, why not examine those insecurities and try to work them out? If you feel like you have nothing to contribute to a conversation, or if you feel like what you're saying isn't important... then yes, I could understand why you would dislike how your voice sounds. If you can change your mentality, however, then you probably won't feel that way as often when you speak for long periods of time.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dislike My Voice - October 19th 2010, 03:40 PM

There's not a lot you can do to change your voice other than faking a deeper or higher-pitched voice possibly with a faked accent. Are you sure others are picking up on insecurities or you are insecure with yourself?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dislike My Voice - October 20th 2010, 05:04 AM

I'm insecure how I sound. My tone. I guess the pitch is fine I just have a problem talking to others. I went to speech therapy when I was younger and I think I still have that insecurity.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Dislike My Voice - October 21st 2010, 12:37 AM

Hi Holly,

I'm in the same boat with you. I never went to speech therapy or anything but I don't talk much because I'm always afraid that somebody is going to think I talk weird or something- which I don't, I sound fine as I realized. Anyways, be confident in yourself. I think you're more likely to do something awkward/unintentional when you're thinking about what you're afraid of doing, whether it's stumbling or anything else. I'm sure you sound fine!

Apollo

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Violet* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Dislike My Voice - October 21st 2010, 08:46 PM

I went to speech therapy too when I was younger because my parents were worried I wasn't able to talk (I really only started talking when I was four). Unfortunately, I also had an accident when I was younger which made me lose my front teeth, which took around three years to grow back, resulting in me having a bad lisp.
In other words, I know how you feel - but I'm sure you don't sound nearly as bad as you think you do. I think a lot of people worry about how they sound when they talk, so don't worry

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Dislike My Voice - October 22nd 2010, 02:27 AM

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who've been to speech therapy... Maybe I sound a little bold when I speak? But's that's only because It's weird to hear myself talk.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Dislike My Voice - October 22nd 2010, 08:36 PM

I think it's weird for everyone to hear themselves speak. Whenever I've heard myself speak on a video or something, I feel terrible because I know I just sound stupid. But I think I might be the only one who thinks that about my voice because no one has ever mentioned anything about it.

I think it could just be something that you think, I highly doubt you sound strange or anything like that. And your voice is your voice, it's you and you can't change that. I know it might be difficult to overcome, but you will in time.

Take care.

Closed Thread