TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
drebin314 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My friend just got amnesia... - October 23rd 2010, 05:00 AM

As crazy as this sounds, one of my friends somehow hit his head in just the right place to basically make him lose all knowledge of people in his life. I feel horrible because the worst things always seem to happen to him. I want to help him. And if I can't, I just want to be able to start our friendship over without a ton of awkwardness and guilt. He literally had no idea who I was and basically it's like he just met me again. Has anyone had anything like this happen?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My friend just got amnesia... - October 23rd 2010, 12:35 PM

Hey there.

It is neither your fault, nor your friend's, that this has happened to him. I think you're exceptionally kind-hearted for wanting so much to be there for him, and make things as easy as possible for him. It may feel awkward at first, because he has no recollection of your past relationship, but you can earn his trust again, simply by being there with him. It will take time, but it'll be worthwhile. He'll be feeling lost and will appreciate all the emotional care and support he can get. Try not to stress yourself out to much, and take things slow. He'll get used to you soon and things will move on from there.

Remember that while amnesia can be a permanent condition, a number of people get their memories back after some time. Some websites recommend that you surround them with familiar objects or maybe take them to a familiar place - little things that may jog their memory. All of this will take time though and for now you're being a brilliant friend by simply being there for him.

Good luck. And feel free to PM me should you have any questions or simply need a chat <3

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

Closed Thread