TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
samb3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Moving Out Underage, Australian Legal Advice - November 1st 2010, 05:25 AM

Hi guys Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this I really do need as much advice as possible.

Me and my parents dont get along, not just general fights every now and then its like... everyday, everynight. It's got to the stage where they have taken absolutely everything off me; phone, laptop, GROUNDED FOR 2 MONTHS, they've even taken my school away from me and have enrolled me in a Public School. Anyway, my older 'male friend' who is 28 years of age, fully-employed and one of my bestfriends cousins has said I can live with him as Im getting abused at come and simply cannot live there. Im almost 15 years of age by the way. My parents threaten to send me to "Foster Care or Juvienile Detention" almost everyday, not even joking.

I have a part-time job at McDonalds so I have a regular income. What are my options? I understand emancipation is a long process and getting my parents to agree to letting me leave is currently off the list.. So what can I do? Can I just leave and move out of town with this guy? Yes, he can provide me with a good life unlike what my parents are doing.

It has gotten to the stage where I am contemplating suicide, Yes I do understand I can see a councillor and work out "strategies" for at home BUT WE HAVE ALREADY DONE THIS. It hasn't worked, due to the amount of abuse and depression I was going through last year I was forced to leave my home and live with my Nan. Living with my Nan is now out of the option as she has recently retired and is over-seas for a few months... or maybe years, she isn't sure yet. Beside the point, I want out.. I know that's what every teenager wants however this is lit serious and I need this.

'PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE I WANT TO HEAR. I really don't want to read 9 or 10 replies of "sit down with your parents, work it out, you only have a certain amount of time left there" - we have talked, 100's of times, I want out... I have a safe, warm, loving place to go, I have a part-time job and am thriving with my current education. I am to study a Bachelor of Economics(Law) at the Monash University and get into International Banking and Finance.

Anyway, I need some advice. Please help me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Grabungo Offline
Average Joe

Re: Moving Out Underage, Australian Legal Advice - November 1st 2010, 05:46 AM

You're the same age as me & We sort of have the same problems.

What i would do is move in with your friend or whatever, As he seems to care about you which in this case not everyone would if you understand me.

Then ofcourse once you've done that you can ofcourse personaly call the local police or go to the local police department and tell them what is going on. I did it when i had huge family problems and it obviously helped.

All i can say is move in with your friend, Continue working and that should seriously help you ofcourse But you can aswell call the cops and tell whats going on, Thats only optional.

Good Luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
samb3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Moving Out Underage, Australian Legal Advice - November 2nd 2010, 02:21 AM

thanks for your advice, im just not sure its legal to do that...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Moving Out Underage, Australian Legal Advice - November 2nd 2010, 04:01 AM

Don't move in with your friend. Chances are, it's illegal for you to live with him, and it would also be dangerous. He could not act as your legal guardian, and if something were to happen to you, he wouldn't be paying for your insurance. At the end of the day, if the police managed to find you, you'd be labeled as a runaway, and he might be fined and/or serve time in jail for enabling you to run away.

Are you currently in touch with a social worker? If not, why not call Child Protective Services (or whatever the equivalent is where you live), and explain the situation? Find as much evidence of abuse as possible, whether it be physical, emotional, or sexual. See if you can be removed from your parents' house by legal means. Best-case scenario, you may be able to live with an extended family member. Worst-case scenario, your only options may be to go into foster care, or stay with your parents until you are no longer a minor.

In the end, you need to weigh the pros and cons. Is it worth reaching out for help? If you believe it is, then don't give up, no matter how much pressure you get from your parents. Keep fighting, and keep telling your story, until someone believes you and offers to help you get out of this unpleasant situation.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
samb3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Moving Out Underage, Australian Legal Advice - November 2nd 2010, 01:07 PM

Is Emancipation possible? What are the steps?

Thanks for your advice, although I was looking for an alternative to what you just told me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Moving Out Underage, Australian Legal Advice - November 2nd 2010, 08:57 PM

I'm not familiar with Australian law, so you would have to look up that information yourself (or perhaps an Australian member could point you toward a website that discusses the process of emancipation).

(#7 (permalink)) Old
samb3 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Moving Out Underage, Australian Legal Advice - November 3rd 2010, 04:08 AM

thanks robin

Closed Thread