TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Unhappy Worried about my Mum. - November 2nd 2010, 09:22 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

A few days ago, my Mum was diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression. While I was hugging my Mum, she said to me "Rianna, I can't take this anymore. I just want to go to a bridge and jump off." Now I'm worried sick about her. I don't know what to do. I know exactly what it feels like to have Depression and just want to commit suicide. My Mum's seeing a psycharist tomorrow but still I don't know how I can help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Worried about my Mum. - November 2nd 2010, 11:01 AM

Hey there, Rianna.
I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to deal with.
Just try to remember that she's been diagnosed, she's getting the help she needs. Things will get better for her if she responds well to the help.
I doubt she was trying to scare you, but the fact that she was so open about how she was feeling shows that she obviously trusts you. All you can really do is be there for her to support her. You said you understand how it feels so try to help her by introducing her to ways you think have helped you (if the understanding is based on personal experience) Try to encourage her to go out and still see people, social isolation won't make it any easier.
I'm sure that no matter what, she'll appreciate your support and advice.
Good luck, I really hope things get better for her, and for you.
~ Nat

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Worried about my Mum. - November 2nd 2010, 01:54 PM

Try to be there for her and support her positively.
She trusts you, and that's a good sign.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Worried about my Mum. - November 2nd 2010, 04:50 PM

Hey there.

I am really sorry to hear that your mum is feeling this way and that it's putting so much pressure on you.

I can completely understand how it feels. My mum suffers from psychotic depression and anxiety, which left her in and out of hospital all summer, and she attempted suicide on several occasions. I had my mum say similar things to be.

It's great that she is seeing a psych. Let us know how she get's on? That's her first step to getting help. The psych will hopefully put support in place for you mum, whether that's seeing them weekly etc, having councilling or perhaps medication.

I know it seems like you should help her, but only help her as much as you can handle. It's okay to be there for her and let her talk to you, but you have too look after yourself too. I know for my mum we were given a contact number for the crisis team and she could ring them herself when she felt low, or I could do it for her. They would talk to her on the phone, I'd take her up to a&e to see them or they would come here. Do you have anything like that? If not, you could talk to your mum about it and look into it together so that while she is at home, you do not have to support her on her own.

But remember what I said, you have to look after yourself toO.

Feel free to PM me if you need to
Jess

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread