TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna, call me Rue

Angry My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 25th 2010, 07:39 PM

I told my mother that I wanted to go vegetarian/vegan. Her response? "No, you don't". WTH??!! I then said that I do want to and I have for a while. Her response? "That's weird. You LIKE meat." She then walked away before I could say anything else. Oh, how I hate my family. I really want to do this and I think it's incredibly cruel and unhealthy to eat meat. I only eat it because we have nothing else to eat!

My mother and I are really close and usually agree on everything. Except on this.

Erm... help???

You can find me here: http://mcrdoesmylaundry.tumblr.com/
Follow me, I'm pretty awesome

Gimme sympathy,
after all of this is gone.
Who would you rather be?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
Oh,seriously,
You're gonna make mistakes.
You're young.
Come on, baby.
Play me somethin'
like 'Here Comes the Sun'

(#2 (permalink)) Old
RunningWild Offline
Dreamer
Not a n00b

Name: Emmy

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 25th 2010, 08:03 PM

I don't know that she's really against it, from what you've said. If you've been a meat eater for a while and seemed to enjoy it, it's understandable that she's confused. You should come up with some solid, substantial reasons why you want to change your lifestyle, and hopefully she'll see why this is so important to you. Be persistent. I'm sure your mother would rather have you eat a vegetarian diet then refuse to eat the meat.

Good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
abreacti0n Offline
Scars are Silent Screams
Average Joe

Name: Maria

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 25th 2010, 08:59 PM

I approve what Emmy said

If she still doesn't let you do it, you should do it without her knowing it, without showing it. Maybe sometimes you woudn't be able to avoid eating meat but you should say in your haid that its only becos ur mum doesn't let you not eat it and that in the future when ur a grown up you will surely not eat meat!

Hope this helps

~ I am Lost Between Fighting and Giving Up ~

The light is always found at the end of a tunnel

Tumblr

PM / VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 25th 2010, 11:19 PM

Like the others have said, I don't think your mother is necessarily against you becoming a vegetarian or vegan, it's she's confused. You enjoy eating meat, and it's hard for her to believe that you'd actually stop. I've said many times to my mom that I'd like to become a vegetarian, and I have considered it in the past. But have I? Nope. My mom says the same thing to me, because she knows I'll probably never actually give up meat. It's too much apart of my life.

Until you actually put forth the effort to become a vegetarian, and prove that you're serious, your mom's reaction will remain the same.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#5 (permalink)) Old
My_Hero Offline
Lil' Rocker Chick 8)
Not a n00b

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 26th 2010, 01:03 AM

Ditto to what everyone's been saying, lol. There are a lot of reasons your mom might be apposed to you becoming a vegetarian; vegetarian food products are expensive, and a lot of people wrongly believe a vegetarian diet isn't healthy. But, I think your mom just doesn't understand why all of a sudden you want to become one. Try explaining to her your reasons and beliefs and just why you want to be a vegetarian so that she can get where you're coming from.
I've been a vegetarian for about 7 years, and me and my dad argue about it all the time lol. Best of luck to you! =)

We all need somebody to lean on <3
~I will survive, I will endure.
When the going's rough, you can be sure;
I'll tough it out, I won't give in. When I'm knocked down I'll get up again.
As long as my dream's alive, I Will Survive~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightmare Offline
Part time ninja.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 26th 2010, 01:28 AM

well, a couple things:
First, while you may think it's cruel to eat meat, it's certainly not unhealthy, lest you a.) don't cook it or b.) live on mcdonalds haha.
But, regarding the bigger issue here, you have to show your mother your conviction to not eat meat and also show her inexpensive alternatives, even just pasta and sauce and cheese. (DELICIOUS!). Part of the problem here is, as you said, there's nothing else to eat, so you have to show her it won't cost much to stop eating meat while still eating.

You can't ~Here to help! PM me!!~
take away
my strength

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 26th 2010, 06:12 AM

http://www.eatright.org/about/content.aspx?id=8357

And obviously you know better what you like than she does. Just make sure to get enough protein and calcium. Look at some vegan food pyramids too.

Part of her problem might be that vegetables are more expensive, and she might not want to pay for them. Meat and the grain to feed animals receives massive subsides, while vegetables and legumes receive very little.

And yes, there are a million good reasons why it is wrong.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 26th 2010, 09:27 PM

It sounds like you just shocked your mother a bit. Have you ever mentioned to her before that you felt like being vegetarian? If not, I think it's understandable that she is a little bit surprised by this turn of events. She might think that you are just following a trend rather than understanding that you have actually thought about it.

If you want your mother to believe you, then you need to stop eating meat now. If you keep eating meat, then there really is no reason why she would believe that you actually want to be a vegetarian. I'm sure that your family buys vegetables and fruits, so you wouldn't starve if you decided to just stop eating meat right now. I'd also try and talk to her again; if you are usually close, she might just need some time to adjust to the idea of you becoming vegetarian.

Also, is there a reason that you've said vegetarian/vegan? They are quite different. If you haven't decided which one you want to become, then that might also stop your mum from taking you seriously.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 26th 2010, 10:31 PM

your mum's probably just confused about the idea of you becoming vegetarian/vegan. try explaining to her again that you really wanna do it, i doubt she'd be against it.

ive been vegetarian for 6 years i was 11 when i first decided to go vege and ive not had meat since. i set a date (19th Dec) and decided not to eat meat after dat, and i didn't lol

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 27th 2010, 03:56 AM

She may be thinking you're following a trend because you suddenly stated that without showing any prior indications. It's like if you told your mother you wanted to dump your clothes in order to buy clothes of a different style to follow certain bands because you love them. With no prior indication of your liking, it is reasonable to assume it's a fad and you're following people without having strong feelings of it. If you also eat meat without much hesitation or fuss, saying you're a vegetarian wouldn't make much sense. She's denying what you're saying because it is confusing what you're doing from her view and there it is more likely a fad you've fallen into than something you have strong feelings for without following others.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
dervishscyth Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kevin

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - December 28th 2010, 12:40 AM

Just be a vegan if thats what you really want, eventually your mom'll get use to it. She cant control what goes into your mouth right ?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Apdog Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - January 2nd 2011, 08:55 PM

I turned vegetarian because every time I wouldn't eat meat I'd get sent to my room so I wasn't eating anything, in the end my parents gave up and excepted it because I was dangerously skinny. You could try refusing to eat if you're strong willed

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh ("Kay-Lee")

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - January 3rd 2011, 10:19 PM

Next time she gives you meat to eat, don't eat it. If she asks why say you're serious about becoming vegetarian. Print off a few vegetarian recipes and show them to her It'll show her you're being serious about this.

Here's a pretty good site: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/

Good luck ^____^

Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: My mother won't let me go vegetarian/vegan - January 3rd 2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Part of her problem might be that vegetables are more expensive, and she might not want to pay for them. Meat and the grain to feed animals receives massive subsides, while vegetables and legumes receive very little.
Really?? In the UK at least, eating veggie is lots cheaper. Although if there's only one veggie in the family then I guess you have to buy extra things for two meals. If you're serious about becoming veggie you might have to start doing your own cooking/meal planning. If you can show your mum that it won't cost lots more or be lots more hassle for her then she will have less objections.

Closed Thread