TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
abreacti0n Offline
Scars are Silent Screams
Average Joe

Name: Maria

Exclamation Helping a Friend - January 27th 2011, 04:02 PM

A month ago, I noticed that a friend in my class, was having some problems and struggling with life, she had also told me that she wanted to 'go to sleep and never wake up again'.

So I decided to talk to her, she told me that she didn't wanna talk to anyone about it and so I told her I will always be there for her if she needs me. Then this morning I realised that she might be cutting and I wanted to be sure of it.

So I showed her my arm, and I told her that even I cut, later that afternoon she confessed she cuts.

Now I want to help her, and to see what is happening to her. I cant force her to talk but I'm sure you guyz can tell me what to do.

Please Help!

~ I am Lost Between Fighting and Giving Up ~

The light is always found at the end of a tunnel

Tumblr

PM / VM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BlueWolf Offline
A lost wolf
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessica

Re: Helping a Friend - January 27th 2011, 04:10 PM

I really love hearing how your trying to connect with your new friend. This is actually very touching and I couldn't help but to smile while reading it. What you are doing is the best thing. You are connecting with her. By showing her your cuts and for her to confess to you that she does sh, is a HUGE step. This is forming a connection, letting her know that she is not the only one, she is not alone.

Keep this up. Talk to you friend everyday and remind her you are there. Try to relate to your friend, but don't try to really push her into opening up. Let her know that when she is ready you are ready to listen. Make sure she knows this and does not forget. In time, your friend will open up, maybe even a little at a time. Her confession that she cuts was her opening up a little. It's the start and it can take a lot of time. Some people never tell anyone everything, so keep that in mind. She might give you bits and peices, but you do not have to know what is wrong to be able to help.

Try offering to help with homework or something. Be supportive in anyway you can. As you probably know every little bit helps. Keep up what you are doing! It's a great thing to reach out to someone. Let her know that times can often be dark, but someday the light will shine bright! The storm will pass. You just need a little motivation!

Self-harm free since 10.1.2013
"You have not failed if you learned something from it."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"
"Weak heart, Dying soul, Falling apart, Make me whole, These broken blues, Peirce your being, Hide the truth, You won't be seeing."
"Deeper, Deeper, Deeper inside me I live a life that seems to be a lost reality."
"Big Brother is watching."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
x_sepi_x Offline
BrokenInside
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sabah

Re: Helping a Friend - January 27th 2011, 09:36 PM

The best thing you can do is just be there for here huni, and by the sounds of it you're doing that pretty well as it is. It is a major step for someone to confess to cutting and by telling you that it means she trusts you. As Jessica said just keep doing what you are doing but make sure you don't push her too much. Take care

Closed Thread