TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

My brother - March 11th 2011, 10:07 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey all!

I have a brother. He turned 13 on Christmas. I would like to think that I take a fair part in raising him, as his dad basically abandoned him. The problem that I'm running into is his attitude. He will be playing video game, on the computer, with friends, or anything and he will yell out things that would be triggering to those who self harm, and those who have been molested. I've got him to stop with the comments about self harm, but I can't seem to get him to stop yelling out swear words, racist remarks, offensive slurs.

I've talked to him about this countless times. I've said it's offensive, and all that. I've talked to mom. He won't say anything offensive if mom is home, but when she leaves all I hear is vulgar, offensive language. It's not so much that he says it, it's that he yells it for the world to hear. I get that a lot of it is his age. I've talked to him, and I've talked to mom. I've explained how offensive he is.

What can mom and I do so that he stops with this language/behavior?

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: My brother - March 11th 2011, 11:50 PM

He's gotta wanna stop on his own. He's just testing the waters at this age to see how far you and your mom are able to go. You should restrict him from seeeing his friends or playing games if he continues to talk like that.

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My brother - March 11th 2011, 11:52 PM

What seems to trigger the cursing? I mean, it's one thing if he's losing in a video game, or is frustrated with a friend while playing a video game. It's another matter if he's cursing because he thinks it's funny, or because he's trying to upset you, or because he can't control himself (ex. Tourette's syndrome).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: My brother - March 12th 2011, 12:01 AM

I think that it's a combination of all that you've said.
Like.. he will yell those comments when he loses, or just in general.
If mom hear that, she WOULD punish him. I'm not allowed to.

I'm not looking for a punishment, or an ultimatum. More of a motivation to make him stop?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L.O.V.E. IS??
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: kelly

Re: My brother - March 12th 2011, 12:04 AM

Well when your 13 friends are all you want to be with so motivate him with that.

Some things are beautiful because they are un-obtainable <3

'A dream is what you desire if anything and everything is possible.'

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My brother - March 12th 2011, 12:13 AM

Well, you could certainly try that... but it'd have to be a pretty good reward for him to stop cursing altogether, or at least drastically limit the number of times he curses per day. I suppose you could keep track of his cursing for a few days, and come up with an average (Ex. he curses approx. 20 times per day). You could then approach your mom and say, "I think we should reward my brother by offering ___________ if he can go the entire week without cursing more than x number of times per day/week." For example, if it's 20 times per day/140 times per week on average, then you could make the goal 10 times per day/70 times per week. Each week, cut it down a bit more, until your brother is allowed to get away with 2-3 times per day without losing the possibility of having a reward at the end of the week.

Of course, the reward system isn't always effective. It really would be ideal if your mom were willing to sit down with the two of you and discuss possible rewards/punishments for excessive cursing (or not cursing).

---

EDIT: Something else you could do (which is rather sneaky IMO) is punish him, but not make it about the cursing. For example, when he's playing a video game and starts cursing, you could say, "Okay, I think you need to take a break." When he asks why, you could say, "Based on how much you're cursing, it sounds like this video game is making you upset. I think it would be a good idea to calm down for half an hour, then come back and play when you're in a better mood." After this happens a few times, your brother is either going to 1) find something else to do or 2) bite his tongue while playing video games. Make sure your mom gives you permission to enforce this, though, and make sure she knows it's not a "punishment".

Last edited by PSY; March 12th 2011 at 12:19 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: My brother - March 12th 2011, 12:19 AM

I like the averaging idea! Thanks Robin, I think I will try that.
<3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: My brother - March 12th 2011, 12:23 AM

well he is 13 and 13 yr old boys can be a handle full form my experience my lil brother can be the same way he is also 13 so he can be ugh but u cant give up psy had a good pt so try wat she said i got mine to stop bye telling him he was disrespecting me and your family so he needs to stop and i know that got to him cuz we are very very close so idk if that will work but good luck boys will be boys

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: My brother - March 13th 2011, 05:57 AM

Thanks for all your responses. I talked to my mom, and we are going to try all of your suggestions.

Tonight, mom confronted him, and basically grounded him for all the things he has been saying.
He apologized sincerely, and promised he would work on it. He apologized after I told him that the things he said personally offended me.

Because the issue is pretty much resolved, and I got what I came for, I am going to close this.
Thanks again for all your help<3

Closed Thread