TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Boyfriends Mother - March 12th 2011, 09:21 PM

I can honestly say that I despise her.
I don't know what it is about me that she can't stand, but I over heard he say to his younger sister that she wanted to teach her how to cook because she didn't want her daughter to end up like me (I'm not very good in the kitchen, but who cares?).
She was also saying someone to someone she was speaking with on the phone that when I decide to have kids and they're with my current boyfriend, her son, she was going to take my kid away from me?
WTH is her problem? I fucking can't stand the fact that she seems to hate me, yet just won't say anything. She also said something to a friend of mine that if we broke up, she'd throw him a party for it.
I spend a lot of time with his parents, and for some unknown reason, the bitch hates me! I just don't understand what the hell I ever did to make her hate me so much. I didn't steal her son away from her, although it would probably be good for him and his sister to get the fuck out of this shitty environment. I'm nearly contemplating not coming over anymore. I don't know what to do.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Xineas Offline
You can call me Daniel
Average Joe

Name: Daniel

Re: Boyfriends Mother - March 12th 2011, 11:45 PM

What I think you should do, is think about whether you want to crack the jar or keep it closed. There's two things you can do really. Confront her, or keep quiet.

If you want to confront her with it, you have to play it gently. Don't walk up to her and start cussing, saying she's talking nonsense around her back and that she's a snitch and what not, but bring it maturely. You could tell her you've sensed a certain friction between you and her, a certain feeling of discomfort and you'd like to talk to her about it. Be subtle and try not to raise your voice, that should keep her relatively calm as well.

The other choice is to let it be and get over it. Probably mentally the hardest, but not necessarily the better choice. Acting like the problem doesn't exist creates a situation where it only nags at your mind more and more, until you go crazy.

Why she's acting like that, I have no idea. Perhaps it's personal, perhaps it's something she heard, a misunderstanding, who knows. No matter which of the two you choose, think about it first and be 100% sure before acting. You can do it!

Best of luck!

Stupid questions do not exist!
Or do they? Nah. Ask and you shall be answered!

Since March 16, 2011

My parents have been divorced for 12 years. If you're stuck in the middle, feel free to PM me!
Social Group for people with Divorced Parents

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Boyfriends Mother - March 13th 2011, 12:57 AM

I have a theory of why she acts the way she does towards me. Now, don't get me wrong. She doesn't do this all the time, and most of the time, we get along. She's a great person and she allows me to stay in her home without any problems, eat her food, use their water etc.
But, she has a bit of a drinking problem and these things only come up after a night (or day of drinking, since she started drinking today before I even woke up this morning and didn't stop until just now when she went to bed).
But, my theory about is that she thinks her son dumped his ex girlfriend to be with me. While, partly this is true, I was seeing someone else when I first met my current boyfriend and we were together for a little over two years before we broke up. He dated his ex for most of high school and ended things before she started college the year after he started college. They were broken up for over a year when we first started dating. But, yet, I think she believes I'm the homewrecker even though I had, honestly, nothing to do with it. I didn't brainwash him into dumping her for me, since I was seeing someone. Yet, this is what she believes. We all still hang out as friends (my bf, his ex, me and her new boyfriend) as her new boyfriend is a mutual friend of me and my boyfriends and his ex. It's a tad awkward, but oh well. That I can get over.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Boyfriends Mother - March 13th 2011, 01:31 AM

Daniel pretty much said everything I was going to say. =) One more thing I want to add is this: when you marry someone, you're also marrying into their family. Even if your spouse isn't on good terms and moves 1000 miles away from their family, you're still going to deal with holidays, vacations, special events, etc. So however you decide to handle this problem, do so with care, because this woman isn't going away.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Boyfriends Mother - March 13th 2011, 01:43 AM

Shannon,

Hey there, it appears to me that a lot of her negative energy towards you is a result of her drinking. It could be quite possible that she really really liked his ex girlfriend, and wanted her son to be with him. I really think that you should talk to her and ask were why she says those things, if it bugs you that much. Also ask her what things she would like to see change in order for her to approve of the relationship more. Obviously don't change the person that you are for her, but just have an honest mature discussion with her. I agree with Robin- you marry into their family. It's something to keep in mind if he is someone you plan on marrying. You just need to try to work through the differences as best you can.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Boyfriends Mother - March 13th 2011, 01:54 AM

Don't get me wrong. I love his family. They have all these get togethers, and I feel special because I'm included in that.
His dad's side of the family (his parents are divorced and his dad's side of the family lives closer to me) already picture me as part of their family, but unfortunately, his mother's side does not. I get along with her for the most part, and she's even fun when she is drinking sometimes. But, when I'm the butt of the jokes, it doesn't make me feel good about myself.
I'm not going to ask her what I can change about myself, since I like the person that I am, and obviously, her son see's nothing wrong with me in any department.
It's pretty obvious she still likes his ex, but, like I said in my second post, we still include her in things. She comes over for holiday weekend parties we throw at the house, and I have no problem with her. In fact, her and I spent almost every day together while he was away last Summer for some madatory training and an internship in Germany. She's a very good friend, one of my best friends at that. I just wish she could see that they aren't together anymore, and I'm here now and I'm not going anywhere.

Closed Thread