TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 14th 2011, 09:35 PM

Two years ago, one of my friends have me his 1GB Shuffle and I quote "I never use it, you can have it" was what he said to me.

Yesterday he sent me a text asking "You know that ipod I loaned you? Do you still have it? I would like to have it back."

I still use it and it's in good nick. (Well, sort of, it wasn't in great condition when he gave it to me. But it's exactly the same except for the name sticker on the back.)

How can I tell him that a) he gave it to me and b) I don't want to give it back?

He's also one of those 'always right, never wrong' sort of people so if I say he gave it to me, he'd swear black and blue that he didn't.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 14th 2011, 09:50 PM

Christine,

Personally, I would just tell him that he gave it to you, and that you use it. I don't condone lying, but if you think that he is going to argue with you saying that he gave it to you, then you can just say that you don't have it anymore. I mean, two years is a long time for an ipod to live. (Mine seem to only last a year ) It's an understandable thing. I would really consider saying this to him "hey there, I thought that you gave it to me two years ago. I kind of want to keep it." If he puts up a fight, you can offer to pay him some money for it. Because it's scratched- I wouldn't pay full price for a shuffle.

Hope that helped a bit!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 14th 2011, 10:17 PM

I, stupidly, said that I have it.

It's only worth $20 according to ebay and the thing that would annoy me is that he has a full time job and he can afford to buy a new one because he lives with his mother.
I'd be happy to pay $15-$20 for it but he's the sort who would want a better price for it.

I'll talk to my boyfriend who was with me when he gave it to me and get him to back me up.

Hopefully my friend is in a reasonable mood when I talk to him next.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 14th 2011, 10:34 PM

In the end he could just say he lended it to you and since no proof of purchase was handed over its still techincally "His"

but he's being a dick, in the end you may have to give it back because it would still be "his" like I said, it doesn't really matter whos there to back you up, because all he has to say is that he lent it to you, and never said when he would want it back.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 14th 2011, 11:51 PM

He did say he loaned it to you. And, technically, it still is his.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 15th 2011, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonashley View Post
He did say he loaned it to you. And, technically, it still is his.
When he gave it it me he said I could have it.
I asked him whether he needed it for anything to make sure and he said no.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 15th 2011, 01:45 AM

Well if you know his personality and you’re not looking to argue with him you could say you’ve misplaced it or broke it. If however your more of an honest person I’d be inclined to say to him “…sorry but you gave it to me two years ago, as far as I’m concerned its mine now you can’t have it back.” I personally would tell him up front exactly where you stand, don’t beat around the bush. Keep in mind though if you value his friendship you’d give it back otherwise he’s going to get upset with you. It really boils down to how much you care.

No matter what you chose to do there is no real good situation here, it sucks when people put you in awkward situations. To me that doesn’t seem like a very good friend. The more and more I think about this I’d just keep it realisticly are you even friends with him anymore?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 15th 2011, 02:55 AM

Say you lost it. It was 2 years ago. Then tell him you fell sorry for loosing it and give him the $20 and tell him you saw them on ebay for $20.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 15th 2011, 12:01 PM

Just straight out tell him, that it was a gift to you. Tell him you explained to me you no longer wanted it, and you gave it to me. If he is still being persistent, just truthfully say, "It is technically my property now. It is ridiculous for us to be fighting over something like this. You gave me this music player." I'm sure that if you just be bare with him, he won't make a big deal about it. I highly doubt your friendship is going to end over a mp3 player. You could always lie about the ipod, and say it was misplaced, but to me, that will only get you into deeper trouble. It is just best to explain to your friend, you gave me the music player, and it is mine. So you don't have the right to have it back.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: My friend gave me his ipod and now he wants it back... - March 20th 2011, 03:10 PM

It's yours so just don't give it to him. Explain that he said you could have it and then don't let him get it.

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
Closed Thread