TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Question A Better Relationship with Dad? - March 24th 2011, 07:43 PM

Hey guys,

So here is the deal. I have always had a really close relationship with my mom. I can tell her anything. She knows about TH and that I am on Staff and everything. We have a really open relationship all the way around. It is really awesome. But on the other hand, I don't have all that close of a relationship with my Dad. Like, not at all. We have gone to Daddy, Daughter dances... and stuff but when I am going through something I need to talk about it. (One of the reasons I LOVE TH! ) When I try to talk to Dad about something that is going on, or the way that he made me feel when he told me something, he either a.) tries to fix it, or b.) gets mad because it's "dramatic".

I have always known that my Dad hates drama, so that's why I love talking to my mom. She is always really understanding. But when my Dad is around, he gets mad at me because of all the drama when he just listens to my conversation with my mom. It drives me nuts. But the most confusing thing, is there are times when we are both alone driving in the car that we can talk and just be open. We can talk about embarrassing topics, and just feel that really close relationship again. I think the thing that he hates is when I argue, and have drama around me. But these things have almost become like natural to do, and I don't know how to stop them.

Sorry for the really long message. Any advice or idea's are greatly appreciated.

Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: A Better Relationship with Dad? - March 25th 2011, 01:08 AM

Hey there,

I think it's wonderful that you have such a close relationship with your mom and you are trying to make your relationship with your dad better. There are two things that you can do to help better the relationship with your dad. You can try talking to him about this. Tell him that you just want someone to listen to you and not judge the situation. Tell him that you just want someone to vent to. On the flip side of this, it sounds like there are somethings that you can talk to him about. I would say that maybe you can talk about certain things with just your mom and certain things with just your dad. I think that would help you feel more comfortable talking to your dad, as the confusion of talking to him will disappear. The lines and boundaries are more clear. Plus, the stuff you talk to him about that he thinks is drama, is probably something you should talk to your mom about, as he probably doesn't get it.

I hope this helped!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Angeleyez07 Offline
Have a great weekend everyone
Not a n00b

Re: A Better Relationship with Dad? - March 25th 2011, 06:04 PM

I think you should talk to your Dad and tell how you feel and yes Glitters right tell him you just want him to listen and not judge. And even though he may be how he is when you talk to him about some things doesnt me he should feel like you cant talk to him cause you should be able to talk to him about things your going through right? Just maybe save the big stuff for your Mom who is understanding k? Just give your Dad some time to get used to you coming to him to listen to what your going through k?

If you want to talk feel free to PM Me
  Send a message via Yahoo to Angeleyez07  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: A Better Relationship with Dad? - March 26th 2011, 04:28 AM

I've learned a few things about my own dad over the years. One of those things is that he likes to solve my problems. He doesn't just listen to me vent - he wants to either find a solution, or tell me how to find a solution on my own. Many men are like that, actually... when you start complaining about something, they feel like they need to fix things for you. When they can't (and when you just continue to vent), they get frustrated. So I think everyone who has posted so far as brought up a great point - make it clear that you're not looking for your dad to fix things for you. You just want him to listen to you vent. If he can't sit quietly and listen, then be more selective about what you share with him (and share the rest with your mom, friends, etc.).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: A Better Relationship with Dad? - March 26th 2011, 08:49 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. They are worth a shot to try for sure. I have also realized that at times, it might not be the best time to talk to him. For example, it is not a good idea to try venting to him when he just gets home from work and is tired. But it would be a better time to talk to him when he comes to say good night or is just sitting there watching TV. Thanks for the suggestions, they have been helpful and I feel like I am on track for a better relationship with my Dad.

Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

Closed Thread