TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pianissimo Offline
Used to be Floriferous
Experienced TeenHelper

I don't really know what to do now - April 22nd 2011, 05:34 PM

So, I have a few issues here that in a way kind of effect each other I guess. I guess I'll just start with a small issue and work my way up from there.
First off, I'm shy, I feel really awkward around people, and just have a hard time opening up and becoming friends with people. Those three things make it really hard to make new friends, I mean sure, I have a few close friends, but it doesn't help that most of them are in drama club and are not in very many of my classes. In the end, I feel extremely awkward because a lot of my teachers always tell us to get in groups and I'm always the straggler that no one wants or just working alone.
Next up would be my brother. I just recently got closer to him this year. Now he's about to graduate high school and sometime in the summer he's going to go to college. Well, the thing is, I've started to rant to him about some of my issues and then he rants to me about his. It's an endless ranting cycle that keeps going on and on. xD Since he won't be around come August/September (Whenever he has to leave) I won't have my shoulder to rant, or I guess in certain cases, cry on.
And then that issue is now affecting this one, I no longer have my best friend. Let's just say that a few things were said that we regret and now we probably won't be friends for a while. Yesterday she texted me saying that we need a break from each other, so in a sense, we aren't really friends at the moment. I was crying for about an hour, then I just felt completely numb and emotionless, in fact I would've written this yesterday, but I was afraid I might cry again. So now I feel emotionless, even lonelier then before, and I'm pondering who I can tell about this. I texted her about a half hour after I finally stopped crying and told her I was sorry, she didn't deserve me as a best friend anyways, thanked her for being there during my first flare-up, and to text me if she ever needed to talk. Now I can only hope that this'll blow over soon enough. I told her all that I needed to say about the subject, whether she wants to stay friends is completely up to her.

Thanks to anyone who read this, I know it was kind of long, but I just needed to get all of these feelings off of my chest before I did or said something that I would regret. If anyone has any suggestions to help make new friends and kind of cope with my brother and best friend issue, they would be greatly appreciated. :hugs*

Last edited by Pianissimo; April 22nd 2011 at 06:49 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to Pianissimo Send a message via MSN to Pianissimo Send a message via Skype™ to Pianissimo 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: I don't really know what to do now - April 22nd 2011, 07:04 PM

Amanda,

I am going to break this up into a three part response. I'll start with how to make friends. I know how hard it can be to open up to people. But you can get friends without having to completely open up to them. You can do that at a later time. My suggestion to you on how to make more friends is to join a club. What kinds of things are you interested in? Is there a club that suits that interest? By joining a club, there are people there who share similar interests as you, allowing for conversation to come easier. In your classes, you can make small talk with people until you are comfortable enough to talk more. I know that you feel shy, but in order to make new friends, you have to be willing to get yourself out of your comfort zone and branch out a little more.

I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. I am pretty close to my brother too, so I kind of know where you are coming from. Can you write him letters or emails or call him while he is away at college? I know it's not as good as having him there, but one of those things should help you out if need be. He seems like a great older brother. And because he opens up to you, he is probably feeling the same way you are- sad that he isn't going to have you around to vent to. Like I said, you should call him and write him letters. Know that you will get to see him periodically like on holiday breaks and what not.

I'm really sorry about your close friend. Gah, things just keep piling down on you huh? I think you handled it well by sending that text to her. Now all you can do is wait. Because ultimately, she is going to do as she wants. Hopefully time will be enough to mend the friendship. If I were you, I would take the reason as to why she wants to be on a break and reflect on that during the break. Try to work on yourself in the areas that you can, and work towards making new friends, and staying focused on school. Things are going to get better. I am sorry they are so hard right now, but always look forward. Hang in there<3

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pianissimo Offline
Used to be Floriferous
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I don't really know what to do now - April 23rd 2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitter View Post
Amanda,

I am going to break this up into a three part response. I'll start with how to make friends. I know how hard it can be to open up to people. But you can get friends without having to completely open up to them. You can do that at a later time. My suggestion to you on how to make more friends is to join a club. What kinds of things are you interested in? Is there a club that suits that interest? By joining a club, there are people there who share similar interests as you, allowing for conversation to come easier. In your classes, you can make small talk with people until you are comfortable enough to talk more. I know that you feel shy, but in order to make new friends, you have to be willing to get yourself out of your comfort zone and branch out a little more.

I'm really sorry to hear about your brother. I am pretty close to my brother too, so I kind of know where you are coming from. Can you write him letters or emails or call him while he is away at college? I know it's not as good as having him there, but one of those things should help you out if need be. He seems like a great older brother. And because he opens up to you, he is probably feeling the same way you are- sad that he isn't going to have you around to vent to. Like I said, you should call him and write him letters. Know that you will get to see him periodically like on holiday breaks and what not.

I'm really sorry about your close friend. Gah, things just keep piling down on you huh? I think you handled it well by sending that text to her. Now all you can do is wait. Because ultimately, she is going to do as she wants. Hopefully time will be enough to mend the friendship. If I were you, I would take the reason as to why she wants to be on a break and reflect on that during the break. Try to work on yourself in the areas that you can, and work towards making new friends, and staying focused on school. Things are going to get better. I am sorry they are so hard right now, but always look forward. Hang in there<3

I'm in drama club, key club, and marching band. Drama Club is probably the best for making friends because for key club we just pretty much sit there and listen to what we can sign up for and in marching band we only have five minute breaks and that isn't really enough time to strike up a conversation with people. xD There are a few people that I talk to in those three clubs, I'll just try to branch out a bit more.

I like the idea of writing my brother letters. =) That way I can save them without worrying about something happening to my computer.

Yeah, things are just kind of piling down on me lately. I don't know if that text really helped things out or not, but it made me feel a bit better after I sent it because I finally got all of thoughts that I had out of my head. I'm hoping that things will get better over time, but right now I'm not so sure. I'm really dreading choir on Monday since that's the only class I have with her and yesterday I just randomly cried for about two seconds and stopped. I'm just afraid I'll break down and not be able to stop. xD Hopefully that won't happen as that would be very embarrassing since I'm in the front row and everyone would be staring at me. ^_^" I'll definitely be reflecting for a bit and really focusing in school, I think that the problem yesterday when I would randomly cry for a couple of seconds was because I had nothing to really distract me or keep my mind off of the whole thing.
  Send a message via AIM to Pianissimo Send a message via MSN to Pianissimo Send a message via Skype™ to Pianissimo 
Closed Thread