TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BluEiis Offline
Uberawesome Ninjaness
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Indigo

Adopted. - May 14th 2011, 03:27 PM

Weeeell.. I was adopted. And ever since I was young, a few of my cousins and I haven't gotten on very well. They knew of course that I was adopted, and a lot of times when we would argue, or fight their comeback would be something along the lines of "well no one cares about you anyways, you were just adopted." or "that's not really your grandma, she's my grandma. She loves us more cause we're her real grandkids..." my brother was a baby when we were adopted, and they make comments like that to him no, and he's only six years old. I hate going to family gatherings, because I feel so out of place.

I believe in pink<3

I'm not so great with advice. Could I interest you in a sarcastic comment instead?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Adopted. - May 14th 2011, 06:46 PM

That's terrible! Have you told your parents what your cousins are saying? I know you may not want to seem like a "tattle-tale", but personally, I think your cousins would benefit from a discussion about adoption, why your parents chose to adopt, how genetics isn't the only thing that determine who's "family", etc. For example, your cousins will probably get married someday. Their husbands/wives won't be related, but that doesn't mean they'll be any less worthy of love from their family-in-law. The same goes for someone who has been adopted. You may not be related, but that is not the sole factor for determining who is "family". =)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: Adopted. - May 14th 2011, 08:43 PM

I agree with Robin, the fact you are not related does not matter, family should be defined in love and actions, not in blood. I also agree you should tell your mum about this, and although he may be young, it might be a good idea to try and talk to your brother so as he grows up he knows he's just as much in that family as everyone else. If you can, try not to let it get to you too much, they obviously do care about you and love you. I guess you should just keep your chin up and be nothing but pleasant... <3

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BluEiis Offline
Uberawesome Ninjaness
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Indigo

Re: Adopted. - May 18th 2011, 03:11 PM

I'm in an odd family situation right now. My mom, technically my stepmom, got thrown in jail. My dad is dead, and so is my other step mom, my mother (not biologically, but adopted) divorced my dad a long time ago. I've been shuffled between them all but lately been with stepmom who is now in jail. I'm temporarily in foster care, but at the end of the summer my brother and I will be moving in with my aunt. By next summer my stepmom will be out of jail, but I can't move back in with her. My brother and I will have to live with the same cousins that say we aren't part of the family. They are related to my original adopted parents, not the steps. This is pretty confusing..sorry..

I believe in pink<3

I'm not so great with advice. Could I interest you in a sarcastic comment instead?

Closed Thread