TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
author101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Advice HELP!!! - May 26th 2011, 12:35 AM

So here's my problem. My parents and I have always had a good relationship,until recently. It used to be that we would rarely fight, but now its everyday. Lately it seems that I can do nothing right, and they are always yelling at me. I'll say sorry and try to talk to them, but they always find another reason to yell at me. I really try my best, but I'm afraid I won't ever to get back that relationship. What should I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Advice HELP!!! - May 28th 2011, 02:59 AM

This is more so with my mom. I don't really ever actually say sorry but a little while after things go back to normal and then the next day or so we are fighting. And it really just started about a year ago.
Just tell your parents how you see things and that you want that relationship again and maybe as a family you can work on getting back there. As far as the fighting in the now, step away. Before you say something in terms of fighting words just walk away. Say I don't want to fight about it, Im leaving. And even if it ends up in a fight just step away and put yourself somewhere else mentally.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Advice HELP!!! - May 28th 2011, 02:35 PM

Hey there,

I'm sorry there is strain on the relationship with your parents. That doesn't seem very done.Was there any even that took place that could have altered their overall mood? I think that would be something to find out. Another thing that you should do is wait until they are completely calm. Tell them that you miss how close you used to be, and that you feel as though you fight more often than you did before. Also, actions do speak loud than words, so why don't you do something with your family to strengthen that bond again? I mean, what activities do you all like to do? Have family night once a week, or every other week. There is also the possibility of family counseling. What kinds of things are you fighting about?

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
author101 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Advice HELP!!! - May 28th 2011, 03:26 PM

Thank you for all the advice!

Lately we have been fighting about things that I'll do wrong and then it will accelerate. For example, my mom had asked me to bring a tray home from a neighbor's house, but since I was supposed to still be there, I asked if she would just let the neighbor know I would be right back. She said she would, but then she didn't, she just got in the car and started to drive away. I tried to motion for her to go tell the neighbor, but she wouldn't and then I lost my balance and dropped the tray (I'm also a total klutz), which had a half-full wine bottle on it and broke. Then my mom and dad were furious at me and yelled at me while I tried to clean it up.

I know these things aren't the worst things that can happen, but it happens at least once a day and I'm getting sooo tired of it. Also, a year ago this would have never happened.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
NisaBoo818 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nisa

Re: Advice HELP!!! - May 30th 2011, 06:27 AM

I know what you mean ALL too well. It seems like no matter what I do to solve the problem or avoid a problem altogether, they find SOME reason to fuss. It makes me feel pretty suckish. At first I was completely focused on making them not mad at me but after about 7 or 8 months of constant fussing at me, I decided to try something else. I stayed in my room all the time. That works most of the time. Other times I just kinda . . . . Let them fuss & keep my mouth shut. Its easier for me not to try to speak. It just makes it worse :/

Some people you can never please You might as well just let them be . . . . . .
But I won't bow down even if the whole world thinks I'm CRAZY

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mandi_Leigh Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amanda

Re: Advice HELP!!! - June 3rd 2011, 08:37 AM

Have you tried to sit down and talk to them about how you're feeling? If not I think you should. Once you all have talked about how you're feeling then I think you can start to make more progress in building up the relationship again. It's kind of like how you and your friends have rough patches. So will you and your parents. But everything will work out so try not to stress out about it

Closed Thread