TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unconnected Offline
Not a n00b

Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 07:53 PM

Most people I see on Facebook have loads of friends before I've even seen a person with a 1020 friends others I've seen with 400 and I only have 20 something so not that many I was wondering though
- Do you add people or do they add you or both?
- How do you get that many people as friends? and how do you know most of your friends on it school,neighbours,strangers?

also I have past friends adding me and I just accept just incase I see them again but I don't really want to be there friends since the reason they're past friends and I haven't seen them in years I doubt they'd even talk to me if they saw me on the street so is there a way of hiding there posts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 08:09 PM

Some people just know a lot of people, which is why they might have a thousand or more friends. It's not a competition, so don't worry.

I add people I know and talk to, other people I know but don't talk to so much add me. They're mostly friends from school, but I've got some friends I've made through playing the games on Facebook and they're just lovely as well.

If you want to hide a person's post, click on the x at the right side of the post and select "Hide all by (person)" This should hide all their posts from your news feed.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 08:29 PM

I just deleted loads of people because they were people I didn't care about, and those people couldn't give a shit about me either.

The only people on my friends list are people that I'm actually friends with, or would care if something happened to them.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 08:35 PM

Right now I have 373 friends. Most of them are people from my secondary school. Others are people from TH, people i've met in hospital, people i've met on other forums. I will only accept a friend request if I know who they are, even if we've got mutual friends. I rarely add people, just wait for them to add me first!

My sister has about 1204 friends! She just accepts any adds really. 1 mutual friend and never met them or even heard of them? Yes she'll add them. Plus she adds friends of friends. Yes, she is a popular girl but i'm sure she only talks to about 80 of them.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Littlebylittle Offline
Average Joe

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 08:39 PM

Some people really do think its a competition and just accept randomers!
I myself have had some wierd guys add me, it's just like, er na, decline for you!
Never accept, or add anyone you don't know, they can see all your photos, and status' etc. On my friends, i probably only speak to about 5-10% of them regularly, but they add me, and i accept because i know they're from my school, so i do kind of know them, so i know there not wierd so its all cool!

People can add you and you just accept, or you can add them and they can accept, or decline both ways :P

"Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything, requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who beleive"
"Little by little, one walks far"
"If your going through hell, keep going"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Unconnected Offline
Not a n00b

May 27th 2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
Some people just know a lot of people, which is why they might have a thousand or more friends. It's not a competition, so don't worry.

I add people I know and talk to, other people I know but don't talk to so much add me. They're mostly friends from school, but I've got some friends I've made through playing the games on Facebook and they're just lovely as well.

If you want to hide a person's post, click on the x at the right side of the post and select "Hide all by (person)" This should hide all their posts from your news feed.
Thanks for answering and thanks for helping me on how to hide a persons posts

And thanks everyone else for answering

Last edited by SparklingWine; June 8th 2011 at 03:24 PM. Reason: merging consecutive posts

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 09:00 PM

I honestly just accept everyone unless we have had some big conflict in the past. I have over 600+.. but it's because I know a lot of people.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 09:03 PM

I totally understand. Even though it's silly, and you know it's not a competition. If feels like it. It's a popularity contest for some people, I guess. Mine consists of friends, family and some TH people. Other than the TH people I actually know everyone. Sometimes I request people, sometimes they request me.

You can also block your posts from certain people. When you post something their is a little lock picture, click on it and you can block who ever you wish.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 27th 2011, 09:05 PM

I have 106 and I know all of them in some way. The closest I have to strangers on facebook is people from TH but I only have people from TH that I actually talk to regularly and know in that sense.

I will add people if I know them and get on with them and actually want to be in touch with them. If someone adds me I will accept if I know them and get on with them. I don't get why people accept requests from people who bully them in school when it is obvious it will just lead to cyberbullying and stuff like that.

I have a few people on hide but I mostly delete people that annoy me. People on hide are people like my ex and his family because their posts used to upset me but I didn't want to cut contact with them, also 2 friends that got into uni I wanted to go to last year because I was jealous when I didn't get it and I knew there posts about how great uni is would upset me but they are still my friends and we still talk.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 28th 2011, 03:29 AM

I have 1040 Facebook friends. I'll typically only accept the friend request if we have more than one mutual friend in common.
I know most of my friends from different ways.
Church, TH, sports teams, martial arts gym, volunteering etc.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 28th 2011, 03:43 AM

I have ~1,500 or so Facebook friends. Re: adding, it depends. Some add me, I add some. I don't accept people that I don't know, though. That's a no-no.

I meet people everywhere - primarily university.

SUP BRO.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 28th 2011, 05:01 AM

Well, i have a bunch usually, because i add for apps. usually when people have that many, its because of that. on an old account i had 800 friends from app adds xD
  Send a message via MSN to Paix et Amour Send a message via Skype™ to Paix et Amour 
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 28th 2011, 06:17 AM

I only have like 160.
I don't add just anyone.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 28th 2011, 08:41 AM

I have 141 Most of them are TH people, others are from school etc. :P

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 28th 2011, 11:27 AM

I have at the moment 688 friends. The majority of them are people in I know in real life as in my friends or family or just people I meet random places. I'm a people person. Though I do have some people on fb from here and various other websites, and also have my penfriends on there.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Symmy Offline
Symmy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Symantha

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 29th 2011, 09:33 PM

Everyone adds every person from their school. Like I have a school of 2,000 people, and I'm working on it, so i have like 600 friends. I only talk to like 15 of them though. Its ok to only have real friends online, or maybe you just live in a small community.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount18

Edit avatar

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 29th 2011, 10:38 PM

I have 128 friends. Some are from here, TH, others are from where I live now. Most are from school or where I grew up (neighbors, sister's friends, etc).

I've gotten friend requests from people I don't even know, and my best friend pointed out every time it happened it's because I listed this college I'd planned on going to but have decided not to attend. Since removing it, I've gotten no friend requests from people I don't know.

I've gotten friend recommendations for people I've never met, but I don't ignore or send a request. I let them do what they wish.

My bio, which is the only thing available to the public, explicitly states I don't add anyone I don't know or have never spoken to.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - May 29th 2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmy View Post
Everyone adds every person from their school. Like I have a school of 2,000 people, and I'm working on it, so i have like 600 friends.
Okay, so, call me stupid but . . . why would you--or anyone--bother to add "every person from their school"? Is it like a race or something?

I can understand why we would add acquaintances whom we meet on random occasions, and why someone would accept every friend request. But seriously? Adding almost the entire school? Really?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 1st 2011, 07:11 AM

Right now I have about 382, and that's mainly due to:

- I add whoever I feel close enough to
- people who I've seen before add me and I rarely reject (as long as I've seen them in real life and feel that they aren't stalkerish)
- friends from my previous soccer teams
- people in my school
- people from other high schools I've met on my grad trip to the dominican republic, and other parties etc.
- family

yeah... It starts adding up, and I agree, I've seen people with 1,000 even 2,000 friends. That's mostly people who are making it big (aspiring soccer players for example), or people who just add anyone on their suggestions tab.

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#20 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 1st 2011, 08:28 PM

I add everyone I like. If you annoy me, I won't add you. Just about everyone I know irl annoys me to some extent, which accounts for my low number of Facebook friends.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 1st 2011, 09:48 PM

I have almost 700 friends because I met them through various things such as school, hobbies, traveling, etc. I usually accept anyone but I only add people I know.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 1st 2011, 10:10 PM

I have 87 Facebook friends. I have spoken to all of them at least once, but many are just mutual acquaintances. I don't talk to all of them that often, and my closer friends and I prefer texts and emails.

I ignore a lot of requests (ex-boyfriends, ex-friends, complete strangers, leave me alone!)

I don't add random people, unless I vaguely know them from somewhere. Sometimes I add friends of friends, but again only if we have something in common.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Veritŗ Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 2nd 2011, 09:29 PM

I have 126 facebook friends. Some of them were people I was friends with before I moved, some friends from my middle school, and some friends from my high school. (I go to a private high school) Some are also friends I've met at conventions, or people I've been introduced to at parties that I thought were cool.

I usually don't send/accept facebook requests unless I am either friendly with the person, or think I could potentially be friendly with them. My friend put it best when she said: "If they don't talk to my face, why would they talk to me on facebook?" So I use that as my philosophy now.

You can hide their posts on your news feed by clicking the x next to their posts, and just click "hide <person>'s posts". If you don't want someone to see your post, just alter your privacy settings. And remember, you don't have to accept someone if you don't want to. Just ignore the request.

íTwas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
ShesNotThere Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lee

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 3rd 2011, 11:52 PM

I have 211 friends. I generally only add someone if I'm friends with them, acquaintances, or know them from school. I don't usually delete people unless I dislike them. And I don't add people that I know and don't particularly like, because let's face it, that's awkward.

Don't worry about the number you have. I probably have only about 10 facebook friends that I actually talk to

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 4th 2011, 07:03 AM

I have about 700 approx FB friends. They are people from the different schools I've been to, my juniors who got to know me and such, TH, other people I've met and come to know. It's definitely not a competition.
I don't talk to all of my friends every day. It's mostly my thing for keeping track of birthdays, other special days and such.

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 4th 2011, 10:12 AM

I have 372 friends. Most are from school, the odd few from TH and some from like Zumba and Running etc. I don't add anyone I don't know, or have never heard of, but I do accept people from TeenHelp!

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 4th 2011, 10:58 AM

I add everyone in my school and they add me, I add my best friends out of school best friends and I add people from my old school as a way to keep in touch and I add family. I have just over 300 friends but I do go to a small school. I find I only talk to about 4 or 5 of the people I added.

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 4th 2011, 11:41 AM

The quantity of friends you have on facebook doesn't really count for much. I used to want to have loads and loads of friends; I'd ad anyone from school, the past, family, friends friends...but in the end it was pointless ad about two thirds of them I never really spoke to. It also left me open for harsh comments about things, so I made a new one and now I choose who I want on there. People add you, you add people, but it's up to you who it is, I wouldn't get too caught up with numbers.

If you don't want some people on there, don't accept them. It's your facebook after all, so there's no point to accepting people who you don't want. They don't get notified that you said no as far as I'm aware, so decline them if you don't want them on your friends list.

I hope this helped a bit.
Take care,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 4th 2011, 12:47 PM

It really is not a competition most of my facebook friends are people from primary and high school who I never talk to, but they're on my friend list. Others are a few family friends, friends, friends from college, friends from here and friends from another forum as-well one or two are my sisters friends, and that is about it. I often randomers adding me and I'm like no mutual friends don't know who the hell you are. 'ignore/decline'. Some people really do think it is a competition what I have found is that the people who have loads of friends are just people who either know lots of people threw clubs, school, college, uni ect or they are just people who have added a hell load of randomers to their facebook and they sit there, but if someone has 12345 friends or whatever, they probably never talk to them, I know out of my 325 friends or what ever it is I have on facebook I only really talk to about 20 of them , it is nothing to worry about. Facebook was not set up to be a popularity contest, it was set up so that you can keep in contact with family and friends and family from abroad who you rarely ever see.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 4th 2011, 01:42 PM

I have 172... they're people from school , friends of friends, and people from primary school. There's five that I've never met: one's a friend of an ex of afriend, three are people who I've talked to for almost two years on a different site... and one was at the same Diru concert as me xD

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#31 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 4th 2011, 03:55 PM

I only have 168 friends
I am usually not the one to add, unless it's towards a TH user and we're talking about being friends on Facebook
But, I have myself hidden so you can't find me if you search my name in the search bar. Also, my last name is fake. So my none of my family has me added. And I'm not friends with a lot of my friends from school

(#32 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 5th 2011, 07:43 PM

I just counted, I have 97 friends on facebook

Over 20 of those are people I am currently working with, or used to work with
Another 20 or more would be family or very close friends
Around 30 would be people I went to school with

The rest are kinda childhood friends, people from here and other forums and people I've met through volunteering.

I dont add people I dont know...that just seems a bit weird to me...
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 6th 2011, 12:19 AM

I have 302 friends. I add and get added. And I regularly "trim" my list. I've had as many as 450, but I just didn't like having all these people who I never talk to. Some people only have 10 or 20, and save Facebook for people they know very well. Some people have over a thousand, and I generally think they're just trying to show off.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 6th 2011, 03:39 AM

I have only 12. I don't want to bother talking to "Jimmy from fourth grade who sat four rows down and five seat to the left from you." Why? Because when you talk to people like that every third post is "LOL" or "Haha". I only bother adding those that I actually have something to say to.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 7th 2011, 06:21 AM

I have 151 friends, which is not very many compared to my other friends. My cousin has almost 5,000 friends, which is crazy! But I guess that's what happens when you're on TV.

Anyway, a lot of my friends on there are family members.
However, a lot of my friends on there are people I was friends with several years ago and we sort of reconnected on FB.
But all in all, it really doesn't matter how many friends you have on FB.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 7th 2011, 09:50 AM

I have 565 friends. I know pretty much all off them.
I have people from primary and high school, work (I've worked at different McDonalds stores when I used to work there ), friends of friends, at parties, from Australian Idol, of course family and just people I've met in general when I've been out.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 8th 2011, 04:28 AM

I'm sorry but there is no way you can be friends with 1,000 people you just have to be adding people I had 300 and was wondering what and the hell I went threw them and it dropped to like 150 I just think that is ridiculous

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 9th 2011, 09:36 PM

Well, I did have like, 500 friends, and then really didn't see the point of having them all on Face Book, so I deleted over half. I usually don't add people, as I am rarely on face book.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
NisaBoo818 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Nisa

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 10th 2011, 02:03 PM

I have.about . . . 300 friends on facebook & MOST of them are family or people I know from school, church, past schools, etc. There are a few that I accepted thinking "well . . .we have ___ mutual friends. If they added me, maybe I know them but I just don't remember??" But no, I'm realizing I've never met these people. Some people add ANYBODY who friend requests them or add people they think are cute (I have a friend that seriously does that) and some people just know A LOT of people. It really depends on the person. You don't HAVE to have a lot of friends. No worries if you don't

Some people you can never please You might as well just let them be . . . . . .
But I won't bow down even if the whole world thinks I'm CRAZY

(#40 (permalink)) Old
*CatchingStars* Offline
Healing my soul
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: Friends on Facebook!? - June 10th 2011, 02:18 PM

most people add people for the heck of it my friends have like people they dont even know if i had a FB i probl will only have like 20 to minus my family so ur ok u have to remember some may be there family or ppl they dnt even know

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Iím catching stars in the sky because I am fixing the soul within me. May it be from the heart a girl broke years ago or my soul simply repairing itself as it was shattered on my walk on this earth. May the stardust fill those cracks within my soul making me brand new, but never forgetting who I once was.

Closed Thread