TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Quarter Offline
Average Joe

Lost soul... - May 31st 2011, 12:51 AM

Hello, I have no idea if this is in the right category.
Anyways, since the beginning of this school year (well, more like since 4th grade). I've never really found a place on this earth. Never found a group that I will hang out a lot with. Even if I hang out with this group of friends, I still feel like the outcast, the point outside the social circle. It's been certainly hard for a few months now because I am confused. I am lost in the darkness while the other walk in the light and I need help. I have no beacon of hope, no vanguard of my light of day. Sometimes I just wish I would stay asleep and just...dream. It's to the point where my life is becoming worse than my nightmares. Still, I have never thought of extinguishing the flickering candle of my life. It goes like a roller coaster. Sometimes, I feel accepted, sometimes I don't. It's like a child who sees a chocolate bar, it is almost in it's hand but it is not quite there. My only thing keeping me going is my future, my goals in life. I do not know how much more I can take from this. I've seeked aid from the bible even though I am not of god's children(meaning I am not catholic). In conclusion, I have no kin, no clan, no god and... I am lost in the darkness.

Thank you for reading an please give me advice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Lost soul... - May 31st 2011, 01:51 AM

Welcome to adolescence.

I know that sounds awfully cold, but this is (unfortunately) something you'll have to struggle with for a while, until you find like-minded people whom you can relate to. Given your high level of maturity at your particular age, that may not happen for another year or two - but keep looking for those people! Give people a chance, because you would want them to do the same for you, if you had any interest in them whatsoever. You never know when you're going to find someone who has the same philosophical beliefs or the same hobbies/passions that you do.

If you can, could you please elaborate on why you don't always feel welcomed among social circles? Do you feel there's an intellectual rift, and because you can't relate to each other, there are times when you don't feel as if you don't belong? Is it a lack of similar interests? Do the people act rudely toward you? Do they ignore you altogether? How have you reacted in those sorts of situations? Do you vocalize your displeasure, or do you quietly let them do what they want and avoid confrontation at all costs? Another part of adolescence is learning how to identify what you want, identify what other people want, and use effective communication to ensure everyone gets what they want at the end of the day. Again, you may be a little more advanced in that regard compared to your peers, but it still couldn't hurt to try a few things out. There is certainly hope for you, so there is no reason to ever consider ending your life (I know you said you've never seriously thought about it, but if you ever do... get that thought out of your head immediately).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Quarter Offline
Average Joe

Re: Lost soul... - May 31st 2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Welcome to adolescence.

I know that sounds awfully cold, but this is (unfortunately) something you'll have to struggle with for a while, until you find like-minded people whom you can relate to. Given your high level of maturity at your particular age, that may not happen for another year or two - but keep looking for those people! Give people a chance, because you would want them to do the same for you, if you had any interest in them whatsoever. You never know when you're going to find someone who has the same philosophical beliefs or the same hobbies/passions that you do.

If you can, could you please elaborate on why you don't always feel welcomed among social circles? Do you feel there's an intellectual rift, and because you can't relate to each other, there are times when you don't feel as if you don't belong? Is it a lack of similar interests? Do the people act rudely toward you? Do they ignore you altogether? How have you reacted in those sorts of situations? Do you vocalize your displeasure, or do you quietly let them do what they want and avoid confrontation at all costs? Another part of adolescence is learning how to identify what you want, identify what other people want, and use effective communication to ensure everyone gets what they want at the end of the day. Again, you may be a little more advanced in that regard compared to your peers, but it still couldn't hurt to try a few things out. There is certainly hope for you, so there is no reason to ever consider ending your life (I know you said you've never seriously thought about it, but if you ever do... get that thought out of your head immediately).
I do not feel welcomed mainly because I cannot relate to people. Here's an example relating to music. As most (if not, all) of my known peers like pop songs and rap (Which I do not appreciate), I love alternative rock and alternative metal. It's both genres that I really like.

Also, I have noticed that I have some kind of emotional wall. I can say that no one really knows me in the school. Not even the closest of my friends and I've tried to deal with that and at the least, make it easier for people to know me. But once I share my problems with someone, they likely back stab me in the back for their own selfish reasons.

And one other factor is my 60% introverted personality. I have slightly lower social skills than my peers because I rarely, if not never, saw any friends when I was younger because my parents were separated and my mom was sick. And I usually don't feel like I belong within a group. I would be categorized as a "Loner" in today's stereotypical terms. I prefer being alone over going out at a party and I do not like being with a large group of people (5 people is too much because I can't necessarily integrate a subject efficiently).

Because of this introverted personality, I find it hard to go "in the spotlight" and integrate a subject that I feel like I can relate too. So, in other words, I do avoid confrontations because I can't find the courage to do so. And I am very independent, so when someone or a group of individuals displeasure me, I usually keep it within me because I find it hard to trust anyone but myself or TH (Which have helped me in numerous situations)

And there is the problem of how different I am. As you stated, I sound (and am) significantly more mature than my general peers so with that comes with a more enriched vocabulary. This vocabulary incite people, when I talk, to ignore me or prioritize someone else.

Closed Thread