TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
gloves123 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rashel

Exclamation childish at 13 - August 6th 2011, 08:06 PM

we just finished our basment and theres this box where we were keeping the 2 chairs and TV that has alot of my stuffed animals in it. like all my webkinz, and others but my dad said that i have to go through it tomorow! he said i could pick one thats special to me but they all are! they don't understand that when i wasnt a member here or couldent go on the computer, those are the friends i went to, you know, just so i could vent. i actually started crying, but i had to go back downstairs to help move stuff back so i brought them back. my dad was originally going to have me go through it today but i persuaded him to let me do it tomorrow!I dont want to give them away even if some younger kids will enjoy them to and that im to old to be crying over stuffed animals but i dont care! i love them but my parents say we dont have room! and i dont want my friends thinking im weird for haveing a big box of stuffys but for YEARS these things have been there for me! mabey not to give advice, but just to listen! and thats all i ever really needed sometimes! stuffed animals don't hug back but sometimes they'er all youve got. i know i have my parents and friends and family but i feel like its just better the way it is! venting to stuffed animals that dont judge you and that are always there!you never have to wait for them to not be busy, theyer sorta just there chillin where you last put them.
i dont want to say goodbye to them but i dont want people to think im weird!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: childish at 13 - August 6th 2011, 08:23 PM

Hey there, Rashel! I collected Beanie Babies for a few years, and I have plenty of stuffed animals, so I can understand how special those sorts of things are. =) Unfortunately, if your parents want to get rid of them because there isn't room to store them, then you only have two options:

1. Find room for them.
2. Give them away.

Look around your room. Are there any things that you could give away instead of your stuffed animals? For example, old books, figurines you don't care about anymore, clothing in your closet, etc.? You may have to do some serious rearranging in your room, but it may be possible to keep all your Webkinz.

If it's simply not possible, then I'm afraid there's nothing more you can do, aside from ensuring they'll go to kids who will love them as much as you did. It's hard to part with sentimental objects, but it helps to know that they're going to good use. Perhaps there's another Rashel out there who would love to vent to one of your Webkinz someday.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Formerly Puppy-Sized Elephant
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Elsa

Re: childish at 13 - August 6th 2011, 09:49 PM

I still have stuffed animals in my room, and I still sleep with one, and I'm 16. I don't think it's childish to want to keep stuffed animals. I would say you should pick through and try to keep the ones that are most special to you. Hope this helps!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: childish at 13 - August 6th 2011, 10:22 PM

Finding a blance of old and new is a big part of getting older. Another is realizing it is okay to be childish once in a while. No matter how old you are we all keep things from our childhood.
My dad kept a wooden chair that he used when he was a kid and a piece of rubber from the tire of his first car after the tire exploded.
I mean he keeps these silly objects because they still hold value to him.

What I would recomend doing is sorting through it. Maybe go 50/50, keep half and junk half. I would give it to friend's siblings, or even chairities. I donated a bunch of my stuff to a chairity last week, and although I was sad to part with some of it, a bus full of kids came and scooped most of it up. So I know at least someone is enjoying it.

Another important part of it is realizing how much you use things and collections versus junk. I keep a lot of movies and books I only use every three years, but they are collections. A lone book I got at a yard sale two years ago that I've read already is junk. Explain to your parents how some of your stuff is a collection, and how you might part with it eventually, but not now. I would recomend bargining and and explaining.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: childish at 13 - August 6th 2011, 11:26 PM

When I moved out of home to go to uni I left a heap of my favourite stuffed toys on a shelf in my wardrobe at home. I gave my parents strict instructions to not throw them out while I'm gone and they haven't
There's absolutely nothing wrong with holding onto stuffed animals, especially if they comforted you through some hard times, I'm 20 and they're still important to me! Talk to your parents and explain that they mean so much to you, and maybe offer to have them in your room. That way they don't use up space in the rest of the house. And as people said if they still want you to throw some out, try and pick a few you don't mind as much going, because then it looks to your parents like you're making an effort

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
daisyduck Offline
Average Joe

Name: Samantha

Re: childish at 13 - August 7th 2011, 03:15 AM

I had the same problem.
I can't part with mine either.
2 words: Space bags.
I got one of the big cube ones and put them all in. When you suck all the air out with a vacuum it really doesn't take much space up at all.

Also you should talk to your dad, Maybe explain how you feel. He might understand.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: childish at 13 - August 8th 2011, 12:51 PM

I'm twenty and still haven't had the heart to sort through my teddies, although they're taking up a lot of my space!! I tried recently and found it heartbreaking!! What daisyduck said about space bags sounds like a really good idea, maybe you could try that?? Otherwise try to remind yourself that they'll be going to good homes where maybe they'll be giving other kids the same kind of release and support they gave you.x

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
-maddie- Offline
Average Joe

Name: Maddie

Re: childish at 13 - August 8th 2011, 03:52 PM

i have a lot of them to and a blanket i still sleep with. i hope you can keep them. i know you were really excited about your basement being fininshed. i hope you can work out something with your parents.

Closed Thread