TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Friend and drugs - August 21st 2011, 02:15 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I put a post in 'substances' about my friend who bought me some weed, some would argue a harmless drug, to try.

Harmless or not, it is illegal in this country and last night when we went out I point blank refused to try any of it with only the promise maybe, one day I would.

The idea really doesn't appeal to me.

The reason this post is in friends and family is because out with him last night we were talking and hes a bit more involved with drugs than it first seems.

A bit of background I met him 8 years ago? Hes always been a bit rebellious, and to some extent I have too but nothing too bad. He went off to uni 2 years ago the first year I heard nothing from him and caught up with him in the summer. Finally I found it in myself to forget the first year and we're now good friends again, he knows everything about me lol, he's the closest I've got to a best friend right now. The second year at uni hes been good, I understand he has work and stuff but he keeps in touch at least once a week asking about how work is for me etc.

The friends hes accumulated in 1st and 2nd year there are intense heavy drug users and have dragged him into it. He was telling me last night about some of the drugs hes been doing, and he honestly doesn't care, its become normality for him.

At his place at uni shared with some of these guys, they smoke weed on a daily basis, a night out is incomplete without Cocaine, hes tried ketamine and his friend is getting hold of some ecstasy for him. He says he'll only really stop at heroine, and all the time hes talking hes excited, can't wait to get back to uni to carry on.

I doubt its even worth trying to talk him out of it, but I don't know what to do about him as a friend, just cut things off slowly? We have been planning to get an apartment together in a town near us, good location for jobs, clubbing and stick at it until we find lady friends who want to move out. He now wants this to become some sort of drug den, grow your own for weed to save money.

I used to think drugs were cool, I used to like the idea of being off my face, but not anymore. Its not cool, not clever and not happening.

/rant, Now any advice?

ps, The heavy drug use started 1 year ago.

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tasha555666 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Tasha

Re: Friend and drugs - August 21st 2011, 03:37 PM

We'll its hard when you see a old friend lose their ways,i know some people who smoke weed also,i personally don't bother cause a small drink to get a buzz off is fine..

Obviously he's became addicted and dependent on using drugs..What does he do in his spare time? If he's "chilling" "passing time away" then he needs to get some hobbies going..

But honestly you could try talking to him,giving your concerns but i doubt he'll do anything about it,he's just gonna have to grow out of the phase most likely..Have you spoke to his parents? Did they ever have influence over him like strong parenting background and pushed him in directions,if he was close to them and listened to them growing up they might be able to help,they might be oblivious to all of this too..

Hope the advice gave some helping hints,i can't say i've had to deal with this myself,but getting his parents involved may help the situation.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Friend and drugs - August 21st 2011, 09:14 PM

Yeah, its not the weed that bothers me so much, the extent to which hes doing it does, but I mean in comparison its not too bad. Its the other stuff which hes getting involved in, and all to ready to get me caught up in.

Passing time, hes a huge gamer. On his PC all the time if hes not out with friends, but when he goes out he has to have drugs, and obviously going to uni he goes out a fair bit.

He isnt a fan of his parents, doesn't really talk to them, I don't know them either though really met them twice maybe in all the time I've known him? His parents don't know about the drugs though they've only just found out he smokes 5 years in.

Thanks though definitely some things to think about, I avoided him today

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

Closed Thread