TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question What should I do? - August 22nd 2011, 10:47 AM

Today I went to see my old councillor for the first time since 2009/2010. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is his last day at the place where I go to see him. He'll be moving to another place near where he lives which is about 30 minutes away from where I live. I told him that I want to become either a Music/History teacher or a Music producer and he said that the place he's moving to has a music studio, that some of the youth workers will teach me how to use the recording studio (I wasn't sure about the DJ thing as well) and if I wanted I could tutor some of the kids who need a little bit of extra help with their school work. I accepted and booked an appointment with him because he said I would freak out with everything that they have there. But when I told my parents they said that I can't go because they don't me to drive there by myself. I'm sick of them ruling my life. I know they care and everything but when I've listened to them, I've always had regrets or disappointment. I listened to them when they said not to go straight to University after school, to take a year off and to get a full-time job in Child Care. Now I have no job and am applying for part-time ones. Then I told them that I applied for a position at the local gym as a Life Guard. They just laughed and said not to do it. I really don't care anymore. I see all my other friends succeeding in life because they all have full-time jobs or at University. But here I am, a low-life whose failing. Now I don't know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: What should I do? - August 22nd 2011, 10:59 PM

Honey, you're not a low-life, and you're not failing. It's easy to go straight from high school to college, or straight from high school to a full-time job/career. What's difficult is taking time off to re-assess what you want to do with the rest of your life. Most people are WAY too scared to take time off, so they just rush through life assuming things will work out after they've completed the next step. Well, life consists of a bunch of steps, and it's good that you're contemplating which one to take next. Be reasonable with your goals and expectations, but that doesn't mean giving up on something simply because your parents don't like it. It just means planning everything out at best you can - like how you're going to obtain that dream job, both academically and financially. If it means getting a job as a lifeguard until a better opportunity arises, then there's NOTHING wrong with doing that! If it means applying for financial aid (ex. scholarships, grants, loans), then there's NOTHING wrong with doing that, either! Ultimately, you should be the one to decide what needs to be done and how it's going to be accomplished, not your parents.

Closed Thread