TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
shadow1795 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tony

Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 02:19 AM

Ok, so me and my grandmother disagree on whether skateboarding is dangerous and even though research has been done and shows that skateboarding is even safer than basketball, she just doesn't want to agree with anything I say about skateboarding. See, after a while, I get really pissed off when people tell me what I can and can't do. So, while I am kinda venting, I need help with what I should do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 02:51 AM

What exactly is it that you need help doing? If it's skateboarding, you may be unable to sway your grandmother's opinions but if it doesn't prevent you from skateboarding, I don't see the issue.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
shadow1795 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tony

Re: Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 03:12 AM

shes tellin me i cant skateboard

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 03:21 AM

If you live with your grandmother, it falls under what I consider, "her house, her rules". However, if your live with someone else including your grandmother and they're more lenient on allowing you to skateboard, then you have some leniency. If you are devoted to skateboarding, then show her you were protective equipment, beyond just a helmet (if you don't wear a helmet, then you're foolish so I'd agree with your grandmother). If you use elbow, knee and wrist pads, plus a helmet (and possibly a mouth guard), then your grandmother may be more lenient. You may think wearing all that gear makes you a buzz-kill since you don't fit in with the appearance of fellow skateboarders, however, being safe trumps wearing little to no protective gear.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 06:49 AM

If you don't live with your grandmother well it's not her decision at all or if she lives with you and your parents it's not her decision either. If you live with just her and it's her decision all you do is keep talking to her about it, share facts and maybe show her the type of things you do so she can see it isn't so bad.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Peppermint. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 04:01 PM

The only way I see you not being able to skateboard is if you live in your grandmas house with her. Then it is her house, her rules type of thing. I would tell your grandma that while you understand her stand on skateboarding, it's something that you enjoy and love doing. Tell her that you're aware of the safety risks, and what you're doing to ensure your safety. If you don't live with your grandma, and she isn't your legal gaurdian, then you really don't have to answer to her. Although it would be the nice thing to do to communicate with her and respect her. It's really common for family members to disagree on things, but don't let that stop you from doing something you like doing.

Not all those who wander are lost.
  Send a message via AIM to Peppermint. Send a message via MSN to Peppermint.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 05:05 PM

I would write a really, really good essay to her if you live with her, and make it ramble. I mean make it a month or two project and have endless pieces of paper proving your points. Have quotes, facts, sources and opinions. This is an easy way to win any arguement with virtually any authority figure. Once they realize at least some people agree with you, they are more likely to respect your wishes. Otherwise, try wearing all the safety gear and showing her how it cannot hurt you.

Or else just listen to her...

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Skateboarding - September 10th 2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKmadu619 View Post
I would write a really, really good essay to her if you live with her, and make it ramble. I mean make it a month or two project and have endless pieces of paper proving your points. Have quotes, facts, sources and opinions. This is an easy way to win any arguement with virtually any authority figure.
Rambling away may work with the OP's grandmother, it may even work with your parents Justin but it's not going to work with all authority figures.

Let's say, for whatever reason, you handed me such an essay because I was an authority figure. If the essay rambles on and on, it may make little sense to me, so I'd be confused and wouldn't budge. In that case, you'd be better off giving me some cock-and-bull story made up right on the spot and save the months of work you put into it. On the other hand, if the essay makes sense but rambles, I'd feel obliged to respond back to you, however, I wouldn't want to do so in the form of a rambling essay. You'd be better off giving me a good presentation, have lots of information and solid arguments but not throwing tid-bits of information at me like you're a walking Wikipedia because when in authority, I could just get fed up with you, feel like you're pestering me and simply refuse to grant you permission.

With respect to his grandmother, the essay, presentation, puppet show or however he presents it, should address both his views and her views. If it's just endless babble about his points, that doesn't go very far, he has to consider her views. Keep in mind, her views may not be as modern as the OP's. She may also associate trouble-making with skateboarders so she wouldn't want you skateboarding for that reason.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Skateboarding - September 11th 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Rambling away may work with the OP's grandmother, it may even work with your parents Justin but it's not going to work with all authority figures.

Let's say, for whatever reason, you handed me such an essay because I was an authority figure. If the essay rambles on and on, it may make little sense to me, so I'd be confused and wouldn't budge. In that case, you'd be better off giving me some cock-and-bull story made up right on the spot and save the months of work you put into it. On the other hand, if the essay makes sense but rambles, I'd feel obliged to respond back to you, however, I wouldn't want to do so in the form of a rambling essay. You'd be better off giving me a good presentation, have lots of information and solid arguments but not throwing tid-bits of information at me like you're a walking Wikipedia because when in authority, I could just get fed up with you, feel like you're pestering me and simply refuse to grant you permission.

With respect to his grandmother, the essay, presentation, puppet show or however he presents it, should address both his views and her views. If it's just endless babble about his points, that doesn't go very far, he has to consider her views. Keep in mind, her views may not be as modern as the OP's. She may also associate trouble-making with skateboarders so she wouldn't want you skateboarding for that reason.
Good point. What I meant rather than rambling is just having as many sources supporting yoru side of the arguement as possible. Make it a presentation, and if possible use as many visuals to cut down on words.

Another tip: Plan for arguement. Think of arguments she's used in the past, like "It's dangerous" and give her safety equipment tips and safety statistics. Also point out it's exersise, and explain the positives of engaging in a healthy lifestyle.

If this all sounds like too much work, you probably aren't dedicated to skateboarding, and it would probably be a pointless arguement anyway.

-Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

Closed Thread