TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Abigail

He tells me to get a job.... - September 11th 2011, 07:23 PM

I'm 14 and my dad always tells me to get a job.
I find a job where I would be making hugee money, and doing what I love (Exercising and working around horses).

What does he say? Not to do it.

I HAVE to do it. The only thing limiting me is getting rides there. I will take a bus, or a taxi, or anything to get there.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: He tells me to get a job.... - September 11th 2011, 10:31 PM

Why do you "HAVE" to take that job?

I don't know why your father wants you, at 14-years old to get a job but that's not a concern here. Instead, he may be unwilling for you to take it because you will have to take public transit, which he may be weary of. Keep in mind, such public transit also costs money, so even if you would make a generous amount, a portion of it you would instantly lose. Also, if you haven't had much experience around horses, he may be weary that a horse could kick your head in, so he values your life over the money you'd make.

A last possibility requires you to examine how he acts in general. By telling you to get a job, he may be trying to give you a head-start, sort of like a kick in the arse.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Astrael Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Danielle

Re: He tells me to get a job.... - September 12th 2011, 12:51 AM

Unless its under-the-table, most places wont hire anyone until theyre 16, due to the fact that that is they age most people get working papers. And at 14, dont worry about a job. have fun and live life, its too early for you to be worrying about a job yet.

"Once in a while we have to do something that scares us. Whoever says that what I want to do /doesn't/ scare me to death, is wrong. It scares me so much more than that."

If you have any questions about ghosts, spirits, Wicca, earth angels or if you just want to talk, PM me. I can help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: He tells me to get a job.... - September 12th 2011, 01:04 AM

You're only 14, why would you NEED a job? In most states it's illegal to get a job until your at least 15. (Here it's 15, not sure about PA). Your parents are supposed to be supporting you until you're age 18 or until you get emancipated and you didn't mention being emancipated so I don't think you are. If he's telling you to get a job and then you are able to get one and he says not to - then A) He was joking B) He wants you to get one closer and prefers you not to use public transportation. Either way, live your life. At 14, I was having fun with my friends and not caring about money or anything like that. So why not do that?

Closed Thread