TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alicia124 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

My mom and her drinking (Long) - November 3rd 2011, 12:15 AM

I love my mom to death but me and my sister can always tell when she has been drinking...ill start from the beginning
When i wass really young maybe 2 or 3 i remember going down this one aisle in the store,i specifically remeber it because it had weird tile on the ground and when the grocery cart would go over it it would make a strange noise,but this aisle had vodka on it all sorts i didnt know what it was and i dont remember it that much.I also remember around 9 10 maybe younger then that catching my mom drinking in her room which me and my sister share with her she also used to have a smoking problem but she quit awhile ago i confrunt her about her drinking problem maybe once or twice in my whole life and she denies it and shes always coming up with these lies and it effects her in so many ways its really unhealthy for her body too. I never used to know about her drinking sometimes when my dad was at work me and my sister were home watching tv we are very close in age and we hear this noise coming from the bedroom and i cant even go in there because i dont know whats wrong i just start crying and my sister goes in there and she is haveing a sescure we dont know what to do so we call 911 and i go get the neighbor to come in and check up on her and he goes in there and she doesnt even recogize him and an ambulance comes gets her it was a really scary experience espically since our dad wasnt home and when he gets home we make our mom tell him what happened.There were many other sezsures after that one there was even one at disneyland that was really sad too and other times she would fall off her bed and my dad cud hear her fall from the garage downstairs and hed come up and actaully save her the falling was what happened the most i would say she has had about 10 or less sezsures from alcohol while me and my sister were young we would cry all the time talking with my mom and dad about my moms drinking problem and she would stop drinking and then she would start again and stop and start and stop and we would always find were she hides the bottles she had these main hiding spots.Shed get so drunk somedays it was crazy but my dad is always at work now because today the acoomy is bad i am now almost 15 and my mom is still on and off drinking and me and my sister can Always always tell when my mom has been drinking but my dad doesnt notice and its really difficult for me and my sister to tell him because if he doesnt find the bottle then he wont really do anything but yell at my mom and talk to her about it and talk to me and my sister and have these sad little discussions with us and her with my mom and this is affecting the whole family even my brother anyways my dad has to go to work cuz he needs to make more money and stuff but hes gone alot he doesnt notice shes been drinking and now my sisters is rebillious and doesnt like my dad and likes my mom but only when shes not drinking but i just want my mom to stop drinking or atleast figure out that me and brittney my sister arent stupid and we know ur drinking but when my friends come over and stuff they dont understand and i have to make of excuses and i just want her to stop my dad not have to stay home and babysit my mom so she doesnt drink because she only does when me and my sister are at school and he needs to get back to work to make more money to support our family because my mom doesnt have a job never has since ive been alive anyway but she shud stop drinking so i can stop stressing and focus on more and less important tings sometimes i feel i grow up alot because of what i have witnessed.Me and my sister get very very disrespectful to my mom we are really angry with her and she apparently "doesnt" know why its only because she has been drinking and my sister isnt home barley and my dad is at work and im stuck at home with her and i just wanna almost run away it gets so bad so i just go outside and lay on the grass because i live in an apartment and what i really is i want advice on how do i get my sister to come home and help me thru this so im not alone in dealing with my mom how i get my mom to stop drinking with out making a big deal and a crying sadness day or watevr i dont want a sob fest i really just want her to Stop and realize shes loses me and my sister because of what shes doing and how do i get her to realize me and my sister know exactly when she has been drinking?
Please help i dont want to be mean to mom when whens she been drinking i wanna love her because sooner or later i am going to graduate and move out and i might not want anything to do with her if she doesnt get help or something.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My mom and her drinking (Long) - November 4th 2011, 12:09 AM

First of all, welcome to TeenHelp! =)

Secondly, I'm sorry to hear about your family's situation. Alcoholism is a difficult subject to deal with, especially when you're the child and you don't know how to help the parent. Fortunately, there are many, MANY resources available to you and your family. Here's an article that sums up how a family can help a family member who is an alcoholic:

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/about/f/faq12.htm

I want you to know that you CAN help your mom overcome this - but you need to get your other family members on board as well. At the very least, your father needs to be made aware of how bad your mom's problem is, how it's affecting you and your sister, and what he needs to do in order to protect you, your sister, and your mom from further harm. You could start off by showing him this article, and asking him to work with you in implementing some of the ideas.

I wish you all the best. <3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Alicia124 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: My mom and her drinking (Long) - November 6th 2011, 06:48 PM

Thank you for the advice its nice to know my message is being heard and someone wants to help

Closed Thread