TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Katrina123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katrina

Exclamation Overprotecting Dad - November 3rd 2011, 03:09 PM

Ok maybe Im exaggerating a bit. He is not super protective, he allows me to go to friends houses, movies (although a bit reluctantly) and generaly go out. The thing is with boys.
Im 14 and I had a few flings which is normal for a girl my age. Nothing big though. And now I have 2 guy friends (just friends) and we hang out a lot, have fun etc. Today my dad saw us talking at the school parking lot and asked me immediately "Who were these guys?". And I was like "Dad relax we're just friends" and he answered "Don't do stupid things" I was sitting like this

Ok I understand he has the need to protect me and sees me as his "lil' girl" and he has trouble understanding I've grown up. But still doesnt he trust me and the friends I choose to make? When I say we're just friends I mean it. And the thing is I gave my phone number to one of them and if he calls Im so screwed. My dad's gonna start asking questions and getting all woried for no reason.

And a moon rose over an open field... "Kathy I'm lost" I said though I knew she was sleeping. "I'm empty and aching and I don't know why.."

Can you feel a silk embrace in the satin air? If we disolve without a trace will the real world even care?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Overprotecting Dad - November 4th 2011, 12:13 AM

Sounds like my dad! I'm 22, and he still gets on my case whenever I have a new boyfriend. All you can do is reassure your dad that no, you're not dating any of these boys, yes, you'll tell your dad the moment you start dating one of them, no, you won't do any "hanky panky", etc. Being transparent is the best way to go - if you don't directly answer his questions, he's just going to become more suspicious. I know it sucks to have your privacy invaded, and to feel like your dad doesn't trust you to make the right choices - but you know he's just trying to protect you, and whatever he does is done out of love. Don't give him any reason to doubt your motives, and with time, you'll find it's easier to hang out with guys. Prove you are trustworthy time and time again, and eventually, he'll start to ease up. (Maybe not entirely, as demonstrated with my own dad... but it DOES get better with time!)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Complete Love. Offline
Life goes on...
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Overprotecting Dad - November 4th 2011, 03:19 PM

Agreed! With(psy) Still not there with my dad yet though ,...or mom they are still overprotective waaayy!!!!

Closed Thread