TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nakita

Exclamation how do i ask my mom to get me on meds? - December 2nd 2011, 07:14 PM

i would really really like to be able to tell my mom that i want to talk to a counselor and get on meds but i'm kind of worried.
you see, i've been feeling bad for a while, like 3 years. i was seeing a counselor for awhile but my mom stopped paying for it. i want to start seeing one again and get a psychological evaluation to see if i need meds but i'm scared of asking her.
i'm more afraid of my step dad. i don't know if he'd understand my issues or if he'd pay for it. if anyone can help, please give me some advice, i beg of you.

"Stop acting like you know what I've been through, you know nothing until you've actually lived every moment and felt every ounce of pain that I have."

"Someone asked me if i missed you, I just walked away then I whispered, so much" I'll miss you forever, Vernon and Charlene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWrL...eature=related

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: how do i ask my mom to get me on meds? - December 3rd 2011, 07:02 AM

Talk to a school guidance counselor first and see if they can give you any ideas about hooking up with a pro bono psychiatrist or therapist, or if they can find one or both of those for really cheap (like a sliding scale fee). Once you have more information and research, talk to your mom about it (go to her before your step dad). Present your case, explain why you need help and if your guidance counselor thinks you need help, and make a list of the pros and cons of seeing a therapist or going on medication. Parents often respond better if there is a rational argument for things instead of an emotional one. Not that you can't be emotional, because we are talking about your feeling here, but at least have some structure for what you are going to say.

Also, as a side note: Only a doctor can determine if you need medicine or not, but most importantly, do not rely on medicine to help you. While it can, often most of the work gets done in conjunction with therapy. There is no magic pill that will make you one hundred percent better without some personal work most of the time. So be prepared for that.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nakita

Re: how do i ask my mom to get me on meds? - December 3rd 2011, 11:03 PM

oh my god thank you so much. tht really helps.

"Stop acting like you know what I've been through, you know nothing until you've actually lived every moment and felt every ounce of pain that I have."

"Someone asked me if i missed you, I just walked away then I whispered, so much" I'll miss you forever, Vernon and Charlene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWrL...eature=related

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: how do i ask my mom to get me on meds? - December 6th 2011, 04:46 PM

Because you seem happy with your response, I'm going to go ahead and close this. Feel free to PM me, if you want this reopened.

Take care!

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread