TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MissHoran Offline
ohai <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Morgan

My Family Doesn't Believe In Me - February 22nd 2012, 10:45 PM

Ever since I was little I have always love to perform. I've loved singing since I was 3. To this day I still cannot think of anything else I' rather do. Unfortunately, my parents don't support any of this. They're not happy with myself teaching me how to play guitar, they're not happy that I want to go to my grandmothers to take piano lessons. They don't like the fact that I like to sing. They don't think I can. They don't think I sound good at all. They tell me "Oh, you better not be singing for so and so or showing people your videos because they're going to say this and that. We don't want to have to deal with you getting upset for them telling you the truth."
It makes me really upset. I know I'm not amazing or anything special, but I've heard much much worse. They don't think that I could improve or get anywhere or handle the judgement. I can handle the criticism. I'm not sensitive. I'm not saying I'd make it far... but they should at least give me a chance and let me try to do something instead of telling me to give up on something I've loved for over 10 years. It makes me so upset... I haven't picked up my guitar in weeks because of them... How am I supposed to believe in myself if the people who are always supposed to love me and be there for me don't even believe in me....?

"If I'm louder would you see me?"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: My Family Doesn't Believe In Me - February 23rd 2012, 02:18 AM

You will always have those who don't believe, Those who hate, and judge. Thats life.

What matters is that you continue to do what you need to do. If you love singing, and play certain things, than don't stop. This is YOUR life. This might be YOUR future. No one can tell you what you can and can not do, or should/shouldn't do.

One thing you need to understand is all people have haters, and people who don't believe. Look at the recent sensations: Justin Bieber, Selina Gomez, Grayson Chance, and many more. I have never heard of one actor, singer, writer, athlete, Police officer, doctor, teacher, student, parent, teen, child, HUMAN that have not been criticized or doubted atleast one time in there life with or without there knowing. Its human nature - and its unfortunate that the doubters and people who are judging happen to be your parents.

Keep doing what you want to do - be who you want to be. Live to your fullest singing and playing music capabilities. Create yourself - and charish it.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: My Family Doesn't Believe In Me - February 23rd 2012, 02:55 AM

The unfortunate fact of life is that there will always be someone that is going to doubt you or your aspirations in life, but just because they say what they do does not mean that you should ever give up on what you love.

You need to do what you love and what makes you happiest, and if that thing is singing, playing guitar, playing piano or learning every instrument possible, then I think that's amazing! So, continue to learn and practice those instruments, continue to improve your voice (because even the best of singers always have room for improvement!) and become the best musician/vocalist that you can be

Keep your chin up and don't let your parents get you down.
I believe in you

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: My Family Doesn't Believe In Me - February 23rd 2012, 10:35 PM

In addition to what's already been said, I'm wondering if you're planning to pursue a career as a musician/singer, and if so, have you told your parents? Parents can be especially critical when it comes to a child's potential career. They want that career to be attainable and profitable. Most people who want to go into the entertainment business will not "make it big," and you already acknowledged that possibility. In parents' minds, though, there's a difference between pursuing an interest/hobby and a career. If you've expressed a desire to make this your CAREER, then I can see why they would be critical... and it's not entirely wrong for them to worry.

Closed Thread