TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Meeting new people. - February 26th 2012, 06:30 AM

(Didn't quite know what section to put this in)

So next weekend, I have an audition for a university acting program, and I know that one of the things they'll be looking at is my ability to work well with other people... so they'll be expecting me to socialize and make friends.

But this isn't one of my strongest areas. I don't like making conversation with people I've never seen before. I'm a bit of an introvert (but realize that actors don't have to be outgoing- the most talented ones keep to themselves).

Does anyone have some tips on conversing with total strangers? Maybe some stories they can share?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Meeting new people. - February 26th 2012, 07:08 AM

You can try making a small talk. Introduce yourself, ask a few friendly questions. Make them feel comfortable. Awkward silence can be a bit...uncomfortable.
Hope this helps.
xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Meeting new people. - February 26th 2012, 06:53 PM

When I was auditioning to music programs for university, I would have to talk with complete strangers on a regular basis. It wasn't easy, but you just have to remember to be friendly and open to what people have to say. Introduce yourself, smile, and just talk about whatever comes up. Just some casual conversation and small talk is probably all you'll need to do. It gets easier the more you do it. Meeting people for the first time can be awkward anyways, so they'll probably be feeling some of the same things you are.

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Meeting new people. - February 26th 2012, 08:23 PM

Just simply say hi. Then the next day carry it on alittle more by saying' how are you', or 'whats up'. Friendships don't build over night - and will take effort and time (so don't rush things).

I'm personally more of an on the spot guy. So I like to just go in there, make people laugh, say my hellos, and then leave. Show confidence, and talk to people. Yes, you will get nervous, but you will build some good friendships if you go that extra mile.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Meeting new people. - February 27th 2012, 12:31 AM

Depending on how long you're expected to socialize for, ask the people you meet about themselves. Generally, people LOVE to talk about their interests and accomplishments, so ask them about their previous work, or why they're auditioning for the program, how they heard about it, if they have any other auditions coming up, etc. Not only will it seem like you're interested in other people, but it will take some of the focus off of you (until they stop talking about themselves and ask the same questions in return... but at least you bought yourself some time!).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mags Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Meeting new people. - February 27th 2012, 01:18 AM

I've struggled with shyness, I know how you feel. Don't think you have to be a social butterfly and talk to EVERYONE. Just choose one person, maybe you can find someone else who isn't talking to anyone or someone who looks uncomfortable, and compliment them on a shirt or hairstyle. And then ask their name, where they're from. But DON'T ask yes or no questions. At least if they tell you something like their name you can say "That's a unique name, is it a family name?" or if they tell you where they're from you can say "Oh cool! How's the weather there?"

(#7 (permalink)) Old
belljason92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Meeting new people. - March 5th 2012, 10:46 AM

I donít think you need to make so much preparation to socialize, being an introvert is also a well-accepted personality trait, others will understand you and gradually you will mix up with them. Preparing so much will make your behavior fake.

Closed Thread