TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mercyfall Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Taylor

Awkward silences :( - March 16th 2012, 12:37 AM

I think I watch too much TV, but I feel like, irl, when I run out of stuff to say with another person and there is just this silence, that it means that I'm bad at talking to people. I can carry on a conversation for a while, but when it happens, I just feel pretty bad. Is this all in my head?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Mercyfall 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Awkward silences :( - March 16th 2012, 01:01 AM

I don't think you should feel bad about this - there is no reason to. Sometimes we find those we can talk to all day, those people we just have alot in common with. You cant expect a conversation to carry on for an hour and not have atleast 2-3 awkward silence moments. It happens to everyone.

I think the other part of the problem is just that you are thinking way to much into it. You are trying to avoid these awkward silences so much that while you are thinking about it and trying to avoid it, you don't realize that you are creating more room for it. Let the conversation roll, and if you have to force the conversation along to not have the silences, then its not worth even carrying it along. You are just stressing yourself out and trying to avoid something that will happen eventually anyway. You shouldn't have to force it to avoid alittle silence. Who says silence is bad? Sometimes I would much rather have silence, then talk to someone who I can tell is just throwing out random and senseless questions and not really caring about the content of the conversation, but yet to avoid it being awkward. So don't think about it to much. Its normal, and its bound to happen within conversations.

Another tip: Try to find things in common to talk about. It will help the conversations out alot, and you find that you wont have to force it along, but yet it will guide itself.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
misscreativegal Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brittany

Re: Awkward silences :( - March 19th 2012, 10:51 PM

We all experience awkward silences; they are bound to happen. A conversation takes two people to make it work, so do not feel like it is your fault if a conversation comes to a halt. It most definitely does not mean you are bad at talking to people. Some people we just find more to say to than others. If an awkward silence comes about, sometimes just cracking a joke to make light of the situation can be okay. Relax and do not think too much about it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Alex Vause Offline
Barbz <3
Not a n00b

Name: Bri

Re: Awkward silences :( - March 20th 2012, 12:05 AM

You shouldn't feel bad. All conversations have awkward silences atleast 3. Sometimes its good to have awkward silences because it lets you organize your thoughts.

"Do not Dwell in The past, Do not Dream of the Future, Concentrate the Mind on the Present moment."- Buddha

"A Life Spent Making Mistakes Is Not Only More Honorable, But More Useful Than A Life Doing Nothing." -George Bernard Shaw

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on." -Robert Frost

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Flavalicious Offline
100% Coffee addict
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Felis

Re: Awkward silences :( - March 20th 2012, 05:25 AM

Taylor, you really shouldn't feel bad when things like that happen. I can say sometimes we really do run out of words to say to people. Even my best friends and I sometimes just sit in front of each other at lunch and don't say a thing. Doesn't mean that I'm bad or she's bad at keeping up conversation, but it's just it feels like we've told each other enough things going on in our life and that's it. And I think keeping up conversation is not only a one side job, any people involved in the conversation really should try to keep it running, unless one of them is really dominant in the conversation itself.

Maybe when you feel like running out of stuffs to say, you can convert to another topic, or trigger others to come up with another topic. Ask them like what are they up to and from there you can carry on giving your opinion, or maybe share some things that you know about it.

Believe me, a guy who has good musical choices aren't bad at all you know what i mean?

Love is but the discovery of ourselves in others, and the delight in the recognition. - Alexander Smith

Change and growth take place when a person has risked himself and dares to become involved with experimenting with his own life. - Herbert Otto

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Awkward silences :( - March 20th 2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercyfall View Post
I think I watch too much TV, but I feel like, irl, when I run out of stuff to say with another person and there is just this silence, that it means that I'm bad at talking to people. I can carry on a conversation for a while, but when it happens, I just feel pretty bad. Is this all in my head?

I def. sympathies with you. I often feel insecure when I can't keep a convo with someone and there's nothing else to say. Its made me feel like i'm boring and made me wonder if people like me or not. The thing is though, we all are bound to come to times when that happens, where there is a awkward silence. But thats okay, thats normal. Don't blame yourself for it. Sooner or later one of you will think of something to say. Or even the next time you may have something brand new to say. Also when I come to awkward silences, I sometimes ask about the other person. Ask how they are, what they are doing that coming weekend, if they have plans for summer, ect.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cat4hurricane Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alexander

Re: Awkward silences :( - March 21st 2012, 02:21 AM

It happens, don't be sad about it

Closed Thread