TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 2nd 2012, 06:53 AM

I know I sound selfish or like I am self-pitying but honestly I feel that if they had, I would already be good at something and not have to deal with the stress of learning anything/being rejected on teams now. I can't even get motivated to try out for anything because I KNOW I'm not good at it.

Last edited by withlovefromnowhere; April 2nd 2012 at 07:33 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
matt30822 Offline
N7 Elite Psych
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 2nd 2012, 09:06 AM

I won't make that call myself as to whether you are being selfish to blame your parents for not enrolling you in sports when you were younger but i will say that it could have been a variety of reasons why it didn't happen that might make you less/more mad at them depending upon which reasons might have applied.

There could be any number of reasons including economic (not enough money), over-protectiveness, constant moving any number of reasons really. Although really it is a little pointless to be angry about it now - all you can do is think about what you can do now and the only way to get better at things is to practice.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 2nd 2012, 09:40 AM

Yes, it's pointless and a bit selfish, it's never too late to start/learn anything and it's slightly delusional to think that just because you started something when you were younger that you'd be good at it now, children get bored of things very easily and regularly don't continue with things as they age.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 2nd 2012, 12:50 PM

When something happens in the past and you can't change it but you can think about what should of happened but it's already gone it's history now. Today or tomorrow will be history and it doesn't matter anymore. You can still do sports outside and go to the gym. Get jogging gears and jog all the way. Sign up for a charity run. Think of something you never did but would like to try out maybe reading or joining rock climbing club. Search up and your parents might be able to contact them or other clubs.

Last edited by Cassie999; April 2nd 2012 at 07:57 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 2nd 2012, 12:54 PM

Selfish, nah, but absolutely pointless. There's nothing you can change by dwelling about the past, you know? Just get into activities now

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 2nd 2012, 06:14 PM

I guess you guys are right. I honestly just can't stand it when I'm hanging out with friends and they all have something cool that they've done, for example, racing cars, cheering, soccer.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 2nd 2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by withlovefromnowhere View Post
I guess you guys are right. I honestly just can't stand it when I'm hanging out with friends and they all have something cool that they've done, for example, racing cars, cheering, soccer.

I understand. Can you join your friends when they do something fun like driving a racing car, playing football?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 3rd 2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie999 View Post
I understand. Can you join your friends when they do something fun like driving a racing car, playing football?
No...unfortunately. My friend who races cars does it for money and her family is dedicated, and the others do club sports, which cost hundreds of dollars.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 3rd 2012, 08:21 AM

I feel exactly the same as you, but I grew up with very overprotective parents (who in fairness didn't have a huge amount of money to spare.) However, it's never too late to start something. You might find you're into something surprising; it mightn't necessarily be sports, but it could be drama or art.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 3rd 2012, 10:44 AM

It's pointless to dwell on the past, you can't change it now but you can find the motivation to get out there and learn a new sport or get a new hobby. Aren't there any clubs in your area you can join and do sports in? No sports or activities at school you can join in? Or, you could just go to a crafting store or something and start a new hobby like making things or baking or whatever you fancy, there is probably loads of guides in stores and on the internet to help you get started.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 4th 2012, 04:35 AM

Like other members have said, it's pointless to dwell on the past. Your parents could have failed to sign you up for things for any number of reasons - financial problems, lack of time to accompany you, overly protective, wanting you to have "free time" to explore interests, etc. It's not good to automatically assume that your parents didn't sign you up because they didn't care about you. I'm sure they did (and still do!) care about you, and their love for you shouldn't be measured by whether or not they signed you up for things when you were younger.

Furthermore, it's pointless to dwell on the past because the PRESENT is what really matters. You can get involved in something now if you'd like. If you don't have money, join a club at school that doesn't require purchasing supplies/equipment. If you aren't good at a sport, join a recreational sports team. The bottom-line is that, if you don't do anything now, that's YOUR fault, not your parents'. If you have an interest, pursue it. Don't let your parents' "failure" become your excuse for not trying anything now.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Cassie999 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 8th 2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by withlovefromnowhere View Post
No...unfortunately. My friend who races cars does it for money and her family is dedicated, and the others do club sports, which cost hundreds of dollars.

Would you be interested in doing theatre if it didn't cost anything? it's drama but it sounds fun I would like to try theatre myself.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Night_Hawk Offline
With a Searchlight
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 16th 2012, 03:16 PM

Same here. I also kept blaming my parents for not introducing to me a sports club or music, drama etc. And when I saw people with some nice hobby or passion I felt guilty for being a bookworm. But my poor parents were just engrossed in the day-to-day humdrum of raising three children. How could they think of those things?
But as all these replies say- we can't do anything but start now, see what we can do ahead. But at least there are clubs and other places of activity in your city. Here we don't have such nice things.... But still I should be thankful to God!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 16th 2012, 03:29 PM

Well, it is a bit pointless to hold it against your parents for not putting you in sports as a kid. Like everyone is saying, the past is the past. And I've always been of the persuasion that it's never to last to learn.
I know a lot of people who can sing without vocal lessons or teach themselves how to play the guitar (and you could get a basic used one for VERY cheap). And most high school bands are free (or only have a small cost) or you could do musicals and just be like the background vocals/less major characters (though I know people who got leads even though they'd never done music lessons so...)... And you REALLY don't need any special expensive training to be in a play either.
IF theatre and music isn't for you there ARE cheap sports out there. Like it doesn't cost a lot of money to put a pair of shoes on and start jogging or join a track team. And some soccer leagues only cost maybe $100 or so (I suspect there are cheaper, but I know the one I play for is closer to $200 or so but still...). AND baseball doesn't cost a lot of money (I played one year for free)... You just have to find a rec league that has practices.
And the thing to remember is that the fact that your parents never signed you up for sports isn't a guarantee you'll be bad at a sport or anything. I knew people who played for ever and still weren't so good. But they still got to play. So don't let that be a deterrent. AND even with sports like dance, a lot of schools offer beginners teens classes and beginners adult classes so that anyone can dance and not worry about like holding a class back or something lol...

(#15 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: Is it selfish and pointless to be mad at my parents for not signing me up for any sports/hobbies when i was younger? - April 17th 2012, 03:58 PM

It's completely normal to wish that you were in a hobby, and you can be. There are things out there in your community that may not cost a dime!
Keep your eyes open, do some research! Get out there!

Closed Thread