Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar
   Halloween Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

SodaStream - February 22nd 2014, 02:59 PM

Hi!

Has anyone got/used a sodastream before? I tend to like drinking a lot of fizzy drinks (although I drink significantly less these days) and I'm wondering how good sodastreams are.

Are they good value for money?
Easy to use?
How healthy are the syrups used to make the sodas, healthier than regular store-bought soda or about the same?

If you do have one what are your favourite flavours as well? Does the Cola flavour actually taste like Coca Cola or does it taste more like a cheaper brand?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wheek! Offline
Eat, sleep, repeat!

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Re: SodaStream - February 22nd 2014, 03:03 PM

My brother in law has a soda stream and he really likes it and says they are cheaper and healthier than the regular store-bought sodas, however I won't make any claims on the health since I'm not 100% certain. It seemed really easy to use as well based on watching him.

Now my brother in law likes them but I didn't really care for them to be honest. The root beer I had tasted similar but sort of like a cheaper brand, but the lemon-lime I had definitely didn't taste like Sprite, but my sister said a different brand of lemon-lime they got tasted better. I think they said the Coke was pretty good though.

So I guess it's all up to personal opinion. I didn't really care for it though.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: SodaStream - February 22nd 2014, 04:59 PM

We have a sodastream and we love it. Although I don't use it as much as I should because we still have regular soda in the house. But I love it and think it's totally worth it, my grandma also likes it she uses it to just bubble the water then puts mio in it. Now my grandpa on the other hand really doesn't care for it. So I guess it all depends.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Awakening Offline
L’amore vince sempre
Average Joe

Re: SodaStream - February 22nd 2014, 05:48 PM

We have one and I love it. It's extremely easy to use. You just press down on the top a few times to carbonate the water, then pour in the flavoring. When we got the machine it came with a free package of samples that had a ton of different flavors, so we kind of knew what flavors we liked before we bought them. Also you can make more than just soda, there's flavored water, kool-aid, lemonade, fruit punch, and probably a lot more I haven't tried yet. Plus in my opinion the diet sodas actually taste better than the regular ones so it's less calories in my case. The soda's don't taste exactly like ones from soda brands obviously but they're still really yummy and something new instead of drinking the same soda all the time. I think it's definitely awesome to have one.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
screaming at the sky

TeenHelp Veteran

Pronouns: She/her

Re: SodaStream - February 22nd 2014, 06:37 PM

We have one, and it's easy to use! You just have to make sure that you use the right amount of flavoring because it's easy to use too much of it. It tastes fairly similar, but I think it depends on the particular soda that you want to make.

Overall, I don't use it much but I think it's really cool and nice to have!

When I look into the eyes of an animal
I do not see an animal
I see a living being
I see a friend
I feel a soul.

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: SodaStream - February 22nd 2014, 08:07 PM

I have one of the older models and it was on sale so it really wasn't that expensive. I use it mostly for seltzer but sometimes I do the soda. The only complaint I have really is that your tap water may make it taste weird or not the greatest. Drinking it without flavoring used to leave a hideious after taste but it was fine once I used purified water. The problem with that is unless you have a filter you might as well just buy soda. The nutrition facts do say that it's healthier than soda.

I've found that it's a little difficult to get just the right amount of syrup. The coke wasn't bad if I remember correctly (I just bought more so I'll let you know) but the lemon lime is awful in my opinion. I think my favorite that tasted just like store bought was the mountain dew one. The Dr. Pepper is more like a store brand of it rather than name brand. I definitely suggest the sample pack since you get one liter out of each flavor instead of having this huge container of syrup.

I also suggest not opening multiple flavors at a time because they always go bad before I can use them. I would even suggest not buying more than two at a time. But I also don't drink it that often. And while it may be healthier I've found personally that I end up drinking the entire liter instead of saving any so I end up drinking more soda than I would if I just got a bottle at the store.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: SodaStream - February 22nd 2014, 08:07 PM

I have one of the older models and it was on sale so it really wasn't that expensive. I use it mostly for seltzer but sometimes I do the soda. The only complaint I have really is that your tap water may make it taste weird or not the greatest. Drinking it without flavoring used to leave a hideious after taste but it was fine once I used purified water. The problem with that is unless you have a filter you might as well just buy soda. The nutrition facts do say that it's healthier than soda.

I've found that it's a little difficult to get just the right amount of syrup. The coke wasn't bad if I remember correctly (I just bought more so I'll let you know) but the lemon lime is awful in my opinion. I think my favorite that tasted just like store bought was the mountain dew one. The Dr. Pepper is more like a store brand of it rather than name brand. I definitely suggest the sample pack since you get one liter out of each flavor instead of having this huge container of syrup.

I also suggest not opening multiple flavors at a time because they always go bad before I can use them. I would even suggest not buying more than two at a time. But I also don't drink it that often. And while it may be healthier I've found personally that I end up drinking the entire liter instead of saving any so I end up drinking more soda than I would if I just got a bottle at the store.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spiderpig Offline
Gone forever
Junior TeenHelper

Re: SodaStream - February 24th 2014, 10:34 AM

We have a Sodastream, but mostly use it during summertime because our British winter has hardly been wonderful when one prefers a nice hot cuppa tea. Initially I found difficult to calculate the right amount of syrup, so perseverance was by trial and error. Beware the use of vanilla. The flavour can fight it out with others, so use it sparingly. Sodastreams vary in price accordingly, so have a shop around. A good idea is checking out customers' reviews and going from there.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: SodaStream - February 24th 2014, 02:40 PM

Okay, I just tried the coke again and it was a lot better than I remember. It does take practice to get the syrup to soda water ratio to your liking. I also add more carbonation than it suggests because I like things super fizzy. I just tried the orange again too and that one was pretty good but a little bitter (probably because of my extra carbonation).

Also, if you get a soda stream make sure you check the dates on the syrups before you buy them. The ones I just bought don't expire for a year so they'll stay good for a long time. The website says if you store them correctly you can still use them a few months after the date as well. And I have looked up the health information and it is a lot healthier (I wouldn't call it healthy though) than regular soda which is what I tell myself when the flavor isn't exactly up to par with store bought.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: SodaStream - February 24th 2014, 03:02 PM

I have a sodastream, but I don't use it that much. I need to try to find a flavor that I like I guess. My husband and I didn't think the flavors we tried really tasted the same and it goes flat quickly. That is jsut my experience though. I am sure it depends what flavors you make too.

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
Closed Thread