Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar
   Halloween Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Vegetarian. - April 9th 2016, 06:21 AM

I was thinking of turning vegetarian, but am finding it hard to stay away from meat as I'm so used to having it for the past 23 years.

I was wondering what helped you overcome this and what you did.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Vegetarian. - April 9th 2016, 03:59 PM

I watched documentaries and read up on how cruel the animal industry is. Once I made that connection, I couldn't eat meat again. If you can't cut it all out at once, try easing yourself into it. Start with not eating meat a couple times a week and then go from there. If you can afford it, you can buy fake meat products to help you transition.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kelsey

Re: Vegetarian. - April 9th 2016, 04:47 PM

Try and make what you are craving, but with meat alternatives. A lot of them are really good. Make sure you are researching how to get iron and all of the other nutrients you need, as everyone should.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Vegetarian. - April 9th 2016, 05:05 PM

Honestly, became one by watching a programme I think was called kill it cook it eat it, and it just made me personally feel how wrong it was and I haven't eaten meat since and its been ten years!

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Vegetarian. - April 10th 2016, 05:01 AM

I can't speak for staying away from meat as I've never had meat or fish my whole life. But, you can substitute a lot of dishes that have meat with other alternatives like tofu or there's "meat" products you can use instead. Or as was suggest, ease yourself into it by cutting back the amount of meat you eat.

Good luck.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Not all wild things.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: Vegetarian. - April 11th 2016, 01:54 AM

Hey,

First of all I think it's great you're looking into becoming vegetarian. I made the switch a good few years ago and never looked back, so hopefully I can offer some advice. Some people find it harder than others, but it can also be a really rewarding thing to do.

I stopped eating meat all at once, but for a lot of people it's better to slowly ease off it. Start by replacing one or two meals a week, and work your way up until you're on an entirely meat-free diet. It can also help to tell people around you, like your friends and family, so they can help accommodate and encourage you.

There are plenty of meat free alternatives out there. Quorn has quite a good range of fillets, schnitzels, pies, and things like that, which can be easily substituted for meat in any meal. Vegie Delights does something similar, with burgers, mince, and even a roast. Fry's is a range of vegan products, which, again, you can substitute in for meat. These should all be available at a local supermarket and are really easy to put into a meal.

Start with meals you already make, and just switch the meat out for something else. Once you're used to that you can start experimenting more and making different vegetarian meals, a lot of which can be delicious and interesting (despite the common misconception that non-vegetarian food is somehow "better"). One piece of advice I was given when I became vegetarian was to "eat the rainbow" - the more colourful your food, the better it is. Of course this is just a rule of thumb and shouldn't be taken seriously, but just remember to try to eat a range of things so you get all the good stuff you need to be healthy.

Good luck with it all!

we're gonna stay right here
until midnight, and we'll be howling,
we'll be howling at the moon.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Vegetarian. - April 11th 2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static Wolfie. View Post
There are plenty of meat free alternatives out there. Quorn has quite a good range of fillets, schnitzels, pies, and things like that, which can be easily substituted for meat in any meal. Vegie Delights does something similar, with burgers, mince, and even a roast. Fry's is a range of vegan products, which, again, you can substitute in for meat. These should all be available at a local supermarket and are really easy to put into a meal.
Just wanted to add that if you have Gardein at your local store, I highly recommend trying their products. They're by far the most realistic tasting of all meat alternatives I have tried.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Vegetarian. - April 15th 2016, 12:03 PM

Meat replacements work well. Personally I don't actually like meat but my grandma, who has eaten meat her whole life, tried quorn chicken pieces recently and was really surprised at how similar to chicken it was, and told me she would definitely eat them again.

If you're into cooking you could get some vegetarian recipes either from a book or online and try cooking some more fancy vegetarian meals, it might make you feel less like you're cutting something out and more like you're exploring new things?

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Vegetarian. - April 15th 2016, 07:31 PM

I watched a documentary that effectively put me off meat for life. I also have pets, so I did often find myself thinking about them every time I came into contact with meat before I made the final switch. I didn't find it as challenging because I'd been contemplating it for a while (my parents were just really against it since I was much younger) and I think teemed with what I'd learned from watching the documentary and doing further research, I couldn't stand the thought of ever stomaching meat again.

There are quite a number of imitation meats on the market now. Most supermarkets have a section dedicated to them. A lot of the ones I've tried don't taste exactly like meat, but they provide the bulk and texture to meals to make them feel fuller and more satisfying. I think of all the brands, Quorn comes the closest with getting the taste and texture of their products right. I honestly couldn't tell the difference the first time I had their chicken pieces (it freaked me out a little) so those could help satisfy your meat cravings while you make the switch.

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Vegetarian. - April 16th 2016, 01:47 AM

I went vegetarian for nine months when I was 16 and then went back at 18 and haven't gone back to meat. First, find recipes you love that are vegetarian. Then, learn ways to replace it. There are great ways to make chili without meat, tempeh and seitan can be great replacements, and depending on if you go vegan vs. lacto and/or ovo vegetarian, you can continue eating some animal products in moderation. Or not so moderation if you're like me with eggs.. Omnomnom.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Horsefeathers. Offline
Not all wild things.
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Charlie

Re: Vegetarian. - April 16th 2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Eater View Post
I think of all the brands, Quorn comes the closest with getting the taste and texture of their products right. I honestly couldn't tell the difference the first time I had their chicken pieces (it freaked me out a little) so those could help satisfy your meat cravings while you make the switch.
I'm so glad this wasn't just me! The first time my mother cooked Quorn for me, I ended up demanding to see the packaging because I was convinced she'd gotten mixed up and used real chicken.

we're gonna stay right here
until midnight, and we'll be howling,
we'll be howling at the moon.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Not a n00b

Re: Vegetarian. - April 17th 2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony. View Post
I was thinking of turning vegetarian, but am finding it hard to stay away from meat as I'm so used to having it for the past 23 years.

I was wondering what helped you overcome this and what you did.
One question I have that no one really asked, whats the reason for going vegetarian?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Vegetarian. - April 17th 2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardock View Post
One question I have that no one really asked, whats the reason for going vegetarian?
  1. Animal agriculture is worse for the environment than driving cars. It's a leading cause of global warming and produces an excess of CO2.
  2. Meat pollutes the air with hydrogen sulfide, ammonia, and methane.
  3. All of the crops we feed to animals could end world hunger if we fed it to humans instead. 70% of grains are fed to animals.
  4. Eating meat causes deadly diseases, such as heart disease and cancer.
  5. It's not healthy, it's full of cholesterol and saturated fats. Your body also has a very hard time digesting it.
  6. Cutting out meat gives you more energy. Meat also doesn't contain fiber.
  7. Why kill cows but love pets? It's speciesism and makes no sense. Most people could not kill a cow themselves and cook it.
  8. Meat requires a lot of water while we still have lots of people living without clean water.
  9. If we killed humans at the rate we kill animals, we'd be extinct in 17 days.
  10. Animal agriculture has caused a lot of deforestation, about 46-58 thousand square miles of forest are lost each year.
To sum it all up, we are quite literally destroying our planet to satisfy people's taste buds. I could go on and on about all the benefits to go vegetarian and especially vegan.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Not a n00b

Re: Vegetarian. - April 17th 2016, 10:18 PM

Hate to sound rude but I was just curious of why she decided to go vegetarian. I fully didn't need a list of reasons to try and convert me to go that route. But you also seem to think that fully eliminated all eating of meat is a bad thing. yes the cruelty and how they are farmed sucks and is bad. But in the end there are still some nutrients that we get from just meat that are not in a vegetarian/vegan diet. Yes eating rice and beans does give you the complete protein needed for your body to live. But fat and cholesterol is still good for you. not in the amounts the average american eats it in isn't though.

Eating meat is the easiest way for your body to get the full amount of amino acids your body needs to get a complete protein. In the end to get the full effect its just as easy, healthy, morally correct, and good for the environment to eat in an omnivorian diet. I.E. eating a healthy mix of meat, fruits, vegetables, ect.

But I support anyone thats vegetarian/vegan, eats meat, or mixes both. I draw the line when someone tells me that my diet habits are bad because i eat meat.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Vegetarian. - April 17th 2016, 11:32 PM

Ethical, environmental, and health reasons are why people choose to go vegetarian which is why I explained them to you.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Dusk. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Vegetarian. - April 18th 2016, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardock View Post
I love animals and think that the way that some are treated in order for us to eat is awful - their living environment, the way they are treated, etc.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Vegetarian. - April 27th 2016, 12:35 PM

Packing my own lunch for school so I don't get too hungry in a place with options I can't have. I find as long as I have something to eat, I don't feel like I need to cave in. That being said,my vegetarianism is a little untypical. In that I don't eat dairy or eggs, meat, chicken etc (and no wheat ) but I do eat certain fish on occasionally. So hopefully my advice still stands. I find making sure in advance that i will have something to eat really helps. And that extends to going out for picnics or with friends which can come off as odd at first and you may get questions but these days there are more people on the vegetarian continuum that hopefully you'll be respected.

Closed Thread