TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Low Carb, high protein casseroles? - February 15th 2017, 12:24 AM

I am not the best cook but I am taking on a new diet plan that consists of low carb and high protein. I'd like to make casseroles since those are relatively easy. I am not super picky. I don't like raw tomatoes or cucumber but other than that it's not an issue.

This diet is supervised by a doctor. I know carbs from fruits and vegetables are okay. It's mainly carbs that are from grain that I am trying to avoid.

Something simple and good would be great.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Low Carb, high protein casseroles? - February 15th 2017, 02:28 AM

If you're eating eggs (about 0.4 grams of carbs in a raw egg), quiches are an option. You can make them for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
You can throw about 8-11 eggs depending on the size of your crock pot (use as a starting point) and then mix in some veggies, beans (up to you, they do have carbs), meat (if you want), spices and herbs and then let it cook on low for 3-4 hours. If I'm babysitting my cousins, I usually make them in the oven (you use muffin tins to make smaller ones or make it in a pie pan). You can make quiches with crusts (cauliflower crusts are a good option for low carbs, each cup has 5 grams of carbs) but they are also just as good crustless.

Cauliflower crust for pizza is also pretty easy to make and then you can top it however you would like.

This recipe is a nice chilli recipe that I've made for dinner. I use yves veggie ground round instead of the beef though and add other veggies in it like spinach, kale, peppers, sliced carrots and more garlic.

Curry is easy to make and you can make it low carb by omitting starches and using low carb options.

Cabbage wraps are easy to make. You can use beaf/beaf alternative, some veggies, garlic and spices and cook them in a frying pan and blanche the cabbage (about 20 seconds in boiling water) and then spoon some of the mixture on the cabbage and roll.

Spanish rice is good. We use cauliflower to make it usually (low carb) except if it's a special occasion. It's pretty easy to make and takes less than an hour.

Cauliflower rice is pretty easy to make.

You can make stuffed mushrooms, with the cauliflower rice and various veggies like kale, spinach, ect.

Zoodles, spaghetti squash, shirataki noodles are are easy enough to use instead of pasta. You can even make meat balls (we do ground round but you can use beef, with spices and herbs, veggies). Another thing is you can stuff avocado in the middle and that is really good!

Turnip puree is good, cauliflower puree or so is rutabega puree. We roast them in the oven on 400 with loads of garlic and some herbs with avocado oil and then puree it in the food processor with a little soy milk or veggie broth and a dash of butter. You can add veggies like kale, spinach, tomatoes if you want some other veggies as well to make a spin off of mashed potatoes.

Sweet potato bites are good. So are garlic roasted cauliflower with parmesan or nutritional yeast.

Baked kale nacho chips are really good.

Eggplant lasagna is also amazing or stuffed pepper lasagna is also good.

Stuffed peppers are also low carb and you can stuff them with loads of things. We do things like sloppy joes, taco stuffed peppers or enchilada, or with cauliflower rice and veggies with some meatless chicken strips (or actual chicken). You can also make something like this. I've made it before with cauliflower rice and ground round and it was pretty tasty.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Show Yourself~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Low Carb, high protein casseroles? - February 15th 2017, 01:42 PM

What came to mind right away using ideas from my personal meals, I would say salads+ protein would be yummy, easy to prep, fills you up and fits what you're looking for
For instance I make a lot of salads and then add beans, nuts seeds, or tofu pieces.
Soybeans have complete protein but the products are controversial in regards to how it affects estrogen levels.
You can also try adding flaxseeds or chia seeds to your food. Flaxseeds can go well with food. It does have a distinct taste though that people tend to either love or hate. I don't think I've ever tried chia seeds, maybe once but I heard it is healthy and especially for people in need of plant-based protein or extra protein in general.
I am not sure how you are with animal products. I suppose high protein would involve animal products. A hard boiled egg can go a long way.
Contrary to the vegetarian stereotype, I am not going to judge you for eating meats. I would probably say though based on my knowledge, that it is best to aim for chicken or fish rather than red meats.
There's also alternative pastas you can try instead of grains. Those might be more on the expensive side though.
There's soups that you can make with pieces of meets, veggies and stuff like that. No grains necessary.
I hope this helps some

Closed Thread