TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Food and Recipes Discuss cooking, your favourite foods, and share recipes here.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

healthy meal ideas? - December 8th 2017, 10:31 PM

after finals next week, i will only be taking one online class for the winter semester.
so i'm going to use these next couple months to work on getting back in shape and committing to a healthier lifestyle for when the spring semester comes around.

this weekend i'm putting together a bunch of recipes that i will use for meal planning and healthy meals, so that i can make a grocery list and finally start buying my own food to make those meals.
i notice a lot of healthy meals i've found kind of seem the same. lots of avocado, chicken, and shrimp things. and while that's good because i only have to buy a couple things, i know i'll get bored of the same meal over and over.

so are there any healthy meals/snacks that you guys know of or like to make?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kintsukuroi. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: healthy meal ideas? - December 9th 2017, 05:40 AM

Here are some foods that are high protein foods for some ideas to look at incorporating into your meals. I’m vegetarian so I can’t help you on the meat aspect.
Tofu
Spirulina (In smoothies)
Pistachios
Chickpeas (I like eating these plain after they’ve been oven roasted or in salads)
Peanut butter
Nutrional yeast
Lentils
Hummus (you can dip veggies in it or use it in wraps or sandwiches)
Quinoa, Amaranth
Black, navy, soy or Lima beans
Hemp seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds
Oatmeal
Seitan
Tempah
Artichokes, broccoli, spinach, asparagus .

If you’re eating dairy or eggs:
Eggs
Feta
Milk
Parmesan
Ricotta chesse
Cottage cheese
Youghurt

Some snack ideas:

Homemade apple sauce.
Kale chips.
Apple with lemon and cinnamon.
Dried strawberries or fresh.
Rice cakes with fresh salsa.
Homemade granola bars.
Cucumber with Tzatziki.
Strawberry apple puffs.
Roasted veggies (chickpeas, peppers, zucchini, and baby potatoes)
Homemade veggies chips.

Some meal ideas:

Buddha bowls: I usually do lettuce, kale (baby it's not as tough), spinach, collard, watercress, mushrooms, cucumbers, peppers (red, yellow and orange), broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, brown rice or quinoa (depending on what I'm feeling like) and then roasted chickpeas (I make a big batch in the oven with herbs and spices and a dash of coconut oil and that way I don't need to make them every day) and sometimes I will cook up some tofu.

Smoothies

Salads: I usually just throw in veggies and sometimes I’ll throw in some vegetarian chicken strips or ground round. Some ideas are brussels sprout and kale salad, chickpea lentil radish salad, kale edamame and quinoa, pomegranate salad, strawberry spinach and quinoa salad, ect.

Cabbage wraps are easy to make. You can use beaf/beaf alternative, some veggies, garlic and spices and cook them in a frying pan and blanche the cabbage (about 20 seconds in boiling water) and then spoon some of the mixture on the cabbage and roll.

Spanish rice is good. We use cauliflower to make it usually. It's pretty easy to make and takes less than an hour

Zoodles, spaghetti squash, ect with either homemade pesto or tomato sauce or pasta with roasted veggies (like peppers, tomatoes, brussel sprouts, ect).
You can also check out Banza pasta. There are different varieties and it’s pretty good with some sauce and veggies

Wraps: lettuce, kale, spinach, mushrooms, watercress, alfalfa sprouts, shredded carrots, sliced tomatoes, cucumber, pickles, tofu and some dressing (we use this semi local greek dressing that has no dairy in it that I think you can buy online) or sometimes we will use one that we made or falafel wraps (we make our own falafels but you can buy them), collard green wraps with sweet potato and chipotle black beans, beetroot leaf

Turnip puree is good, cauliflower puree or so is rutabega puree. We roast them in the oven on 400 with loads of garlic and some herbs with avocado oil and then puree it in the food processor with a little soy milk or veggie broth and a dash of butter. You can add veggies like kale, spinach, tomatoes if you want some other veggies.

Sweet potato bites are good. So are garlic roasted cauliflower with parmesan or nutritional yeast.

Pizza with a cauliflower crust. It’s fairly easy to make and you can top it with various veggies or other toppings.

Eggplant lasagna is also amazing or stuffed pepper lasagna is also good.

Soup/chilis: Minestone, black eyed pea soup, butternut squash, bean, black bean and sweet potato chilli, etc.

Muffins: We make muffins with applesauce, flax seed, fruits (depending on the type like banana or apple or carrots) and they can be healthy. We typically do them without any sugar and a dairy alternative but you can play around with some recipes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: healthy meal ideas? - December 9th 2017, 04:37 PM

Quinoa salad is yummy and healthy! Though I consider that to be a sort of summery food, rather than something you would eat in the winter. Nonetheless, you can still make it if you want to experiment a little and get out of your comfort zone. The recipe for it is variable according to your taste and preference, there is nothing solidly written for this.

You need:
Quinoa
Cherry tomatoes.
Cucumber.
Red pepper.
Feta cheese.
Balsamic vinegar.
Olive oil.

That's what I use when I made it over the summer. You can switch out the veggies, such as using or adding onions or whatever satisfies your taste buds. You can add pepper, salt, whatever seasoning you prefer. The seasonings I used were (in a tube) basil and parsley.

I find this healthy, nutritious, delicious, and regulating for your bowels.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: healthy meal ideas? - December 10th 2017, 02:14 AM

So there is this website called skinny taste, it is a website with a lot of different healthy recipes for weight watchers that are basically like regular meals but made with healthier things. Don't let the part about it being weight watchers through you off. A lot of it is really good.