TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death and Grieving Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Lost two pets this holiday. - December 27th 2013, 11:02 PM

Goodness it was a hard week! My holiday with family was quite nice. But on Christmas Eve one of my Guinea Pigs; Gizmo passed away. Then on Christmas night I lost my Cat; Charmander.

The cause of death for Gizmo is unknown. But Charmander had gotten quite sick on the night of the 23rd, and then of course for Christmas Eve and Christmas the normal vets were not open. We called the e-vet, but we just couldn't afford $1200 to have him kept over night or $400 to have him put to sleep if it was the only option. Gosh, I'm so bitter it would cost that much when all they would do over night really was give him an IV and then to kill my cat would be so overpriced. I know it's after hours and e-vets usually cost a bit more, but really? Even for our more expensive vet clinic here in town, it's only about $60 to put a cat down and a small few hundred to do tests and keep him. Then I feel really guilty about not just bringing him in even if it means I'd be in debt to them for my next couple to few paychecks depending on what I'd do. I'd really have liked to try to save him if I could. We were going to bring him in the morning of the 26th as soon as our vet opened, but he ended up passing away with us at about 11pm on Christmas night. It was terrible. Charmander was such a pain in the ass mental cat; but he was my cat and I feel so sad he left us at only 4 years old.

Rest in peace; Charmander & Gizmo.

Makes me really not want more pets as it's always so hard when I've lost them, but then I can't live without them.

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

Last edited by Chris; December 29th 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Moved to Death & Grieving forum.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Lost two pets this holiday. - December 28th 2013, 10:33 PM

Hey Malorey,

I'm really sorry that you've lost Gizmo and Charmander. Losing a pet is never nice, especially not at Christmas, but losing two so close together must be even worse.

Vets fees can be incredibly expensive - both my parents are registered vets, so I'm aware of how much they can be. You might like to consider insuring your pets, or putting aside money specifically for paying vets' fees, as it is important to be able to afford extra expenses such as treatment (or some vaccinations) on top of base expenses like food, to be the most responsible pet owner possible.

You have my sympathies; remember the fun times you had with your pets rather than dwelling on loss, if you can - it can make things easier.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Lost two pets this holiday. - December 29th 2013, 12:20 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how hard it would be to lose any beloved pet at any time, but especially so close to Christmas.
Like Adam said, think about all the wonderful times that you had with your two pets, rather than the devastation that you're feeling right now. Another thing I wanted to add - it sounds like you might be feeling guilty for the loss of Charmander, but it wasn't your fault. It wasn't at all your fault, and you did the best you could do. If it helps, know that at least he went in a place where he knew he was loved, accepted, and comfortable.
Again, I'm so, so sorry that this happened. You're in my thoughts.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Kayla Christine.

Re: Lost two pets this holiday. - December 29th 2013, 03:53 AM

I'm sorry you lost two pets over the holidays.
Just know there in a better place now, just as it is for humans.
There was nothing you could do, and you shouldn't beat yourself up about it.
It's hard I know, in the last couple years we have had to put down three of are cats, and the year before that one. It's never easy it's like losing a loved one, but remember there is nothing you can do.

Grieve the loss of your pets. It is okay to cry over them. Lots of people if they can not bary there pets in there yard, they bary things that belonged to them.
It gives closure just like a normal bareal does. It might be a good idea for you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Lost two pets this holiday. - December 30th 2013, 09:52 PM

Malorey, I'm sorry for your loss. It is never easy losing a pet, and it's hard to even think about getting new ones after the loss. Give yourself some time before you get new ones. Grieve first, cope with your loss. The pets are not suffering anymore, remember that! I'm here if you want to talk, I've lost numerous pets over the years. :/

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: Lost two pets this holiday. - January 8th 2014, 07:50 PM

Thank you for your comments, everyone. I've been doing a lot better now that back to having work and life on my mind after the holidays. Vet costs normally would not be a problem - but considering they usually costs are hundreds of dollars less over the cost of this "helpful" emergency vet, it was just not do-able. (For example, at our normal vet he would have been going to in only a few hours - the option to be put to sleep would have been less than $100; while there it was $400).

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

Closed Thread