TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Death, Grieving and Coping With Loss Coping with loss is difficult at any age, but you are not alone during this difficult time. Reach out to other users in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Coping with loss - August 3rd 2020, 12:30 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of death or grieving, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't have a question specifically I just feel like I've been putting this thread off for months now and maybe someone can help me cope a bit better. Obviously this year has been horrible for so many people and I'm not going to be the only one who's lost someone, but at the same time I feel like I'm not doing okay and I should probably try and ask for help. Sorry if it's a bit of a long one.

On either the 2nd or the 3rd of January (I'm not sure which day because it happened over night I think and I wasn't there), my grandads wife passed away. She was one of the kindest people I knew and I know my grandad was heartbroken. She had Motor Neuron's Disease for about 2 years or so and it was a gradual process of her losing the ability to walk and talk and eat etc, and eventually she died just after new year. We all knew it was coming so even though it was sad, I think I coped okay with it. It meant I got to see my grandad for a week because the funeral was local to us in London and he came to stay which was nice.

Anyway, fast forward three and a half months. I'd been volunteering for 3 years, visiting the same person every week, and he'd been sick for a short while. He passed away in March. Two deaths in less than 3 months. This one hit me harder because I felt closer to him I suppose. We became friends and there was so much he taught me about the world and strength and about myself too. I feel like I volunteered with him for a reason because it made such a huge positive impact on my life. He told me all about his past, growing up in the war and all the people he knew. And then all of a sudden all of those memories and that long amazing life just ended. And I really couldn't come to terms with that.

It's been nearly 5 months since he died and I'm still not okay. I feel so sad so often when I think about it and I miss him. I've been distracted enough to get through the year so far but now that things are going back to normal after lockdown I'm really struggling because I'm not going to see him like I used to before everything shut down for 3 months. I have all these emotions and I don't know what to do with them. I just keep crying and while I know that's ok I don't want to do this forever. I feel like with each death I have to experience I get worse and worse at coping with it and I just don't know how to do it. This year feels like it's so full of death and I feel so sad all the time, and I just don't know what to do..

Sorry for such a long post. I just needed to put it out there.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47 Points: 108,978, Level: 47

Re: Coping with loss - August 3rd 2020, 04:41 PM

Hello Hollie,

I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. When someone passes away it is hard and it is totally fine to not know what to do or how to feel. However you are feeling is totally fine.

One of the ways to help you out is to write a letter and then you can put everything in it that you are feeling and get it out of you, then when you are done you can rip it up and throw it away. By doing this it can help take some of the hurting out of you.

Would you be able to talk with someone about how you are feeling? Maybe your family or friends or the people who you are working with are let them know that you are having a hard time with this. They maybe have a hard time too and want to talk about it with you. Sometimes when we are going through the same thing as another person you can talk about it together and start to feel better. When you have time try to find something to get your mind off of this for a while so that you are not thinking about it so much. Try going for a walk around your house or reading or drawing or painting or putting on a funny movie or TV show or something else that you enjoy doing. I hope that you will be okay soon. Sending you lots of Hugs to help you.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread